worked for a while, now not communicating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

worked for a while, now not communicating

Well, I thought I had a bad PIM/CIM (whatever that thing is called! the db9 interface by simply-automated). Ends up, I don't. Originally, I set it up, it was working great, and a couple weaks later, it just completely stopped working, didn't control or see the status of the three UPB lights I have. It may have been around the time I added a UPS to my system, but I thought I had it working after that...I'm going to mess around in the dungeon tomorrow and see if I can get it working. The problem is that it just isn't communicating with the lights (interestingly, the same problem I was having w/ x10). I'll try plugging it in somewhere else...cause it works when bring the PIM/CIM upstairs and put it on the laptop. I don't have a upb phase coupler (nor do I have room for one on my panel). I don't know why I'm even posting this, except that maybe I'm too lazy to go do it now, and I thought someone would come across it and go "oh." I'll update the status of the trials tomorrow.

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

completelyhis,

If you are having problems with a PIM, I suggest you try a factory reset (5 presses to setup mode,flashing green- 10 presses to factory reset, flashing red then 2 presses, return to operation.) Then see if your computer communicates with the pim and so on. You can also contact Brad or Ken at Simply Automated at:
    Dave

Comment

I have heard of problems with a PIM or other module working on the same circuit as a UPS (depending on the brand of UPS). Note that this was limited to the same circuit (output of a single circuit breaker) and not the entire phase. Can you plug the PIM into a different circuit and/or phase in the same area as before?

aldon

Comment

aldon,
        Funny you would mention that, I just ran an extension cord across the room, same phase, different circuit, and it works!

Great minds think alike, eh! Now...to figure out how to get rid of this extension cord!
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
          aldon,

Great minds think alike, eh! Now...to figure out how to get rid of this extension cord!
          duct tape it to the floor.

:-)

aldon

Comment

actually, the basement is only partially concreted, i still have several dozen yards of dirt to remove, and several dozen yards of concrete to pour. I'm thinking I will just keep the extension cord until i start running the electrical, and worry about it then!
            Plugins:

Comment

Did you try putting a filter on your UPS? I had to do that with serveral of my UPSs because they interefered with UPB signals. Contrary to the claim that UPB is not prone to noise interference, it is

Comment

it is working well now, but I ordered a couple filters just in case, so I could be ready in case they are needed in the future.

thanks!
                Plugins:

Comment

Originally posted by DC View Post
                  Did you try putting a filter on your UPS? I had to do that with serveral of my UPSs because they interefered with UPB signals. Contrary to the claim that UPB is not prone to noise interference, it is
                  What filters are you using?

Ed t.
                  tenholde

Comment

What filters are you using?
                    Act AF120 and SmartHome FilterLinc. They are really X10 filters but they work for UPB also.

Comment

Working...
                    X