Is zigbee and zwave the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is zigbee and zwave the same?

Just curious is zig and zwave the same beast?
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

No, they are different.

Comment

Google each and you will find the differences. Zigbee hasn't caught on for the home automation arena like Z-Wave has.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Actually NOT anymore relating to the home automation arena today.

Many of the new automation hubs talk both Z-Wave and Zigbee today. This article is two years old and much has already changed since it was written.

March 29,2012

ZigBee and Z-Wave target the same general applications. Of the two, ZigBee is by far the more versatile since it can be configured for virtually any short-range wireless task. Profiles are readily available to minimize development time for common applications. On the other hand the protocol is far more complex, resulting in longer development times. Z-Wave uses a far simpler protocol, so development can be faster and simpler.

Z-Wave chips are available from only one source, Sigma Designs. They sell only to OEMs, ODM, and other major clients. More than 500 consumer home control products are available in stores like Home Depot and Lowes, but many don’t state that Z-Wave is used.

ZigBee chips are available from Ember, Freescale, Microchip Technology, and Texas Instruments. Complete, ready to use ZigBee modules are also available from multiple sources like Atmel, CEL, Digi, Jennic, Lemos, and RFM.

For a given power level of 0 dBm, Z-Wave’s range is greater than ZigBee simply because the lower operating frequency supports it with pure physics (Friis formula). That also translates into a more reliable connection in some applications.

ZigBee uses the widely populated 2.4-GHz ISM band, which it must share with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and other radios that can produce interference. Most ZigBee devices have co-existence features that help mitigate interference, yet the potential is greater in the 2.4-GHz band than the 908.42-MHz channel of Z-Wave.
        What’s The Difference Between ZigBee And Z-Wave?

December 14, 2013

There has been an ongoing debate between which technology is the best overall solution for Home Automation: ZigBee or Z-Wave? Obviously one will win but can we predict which one?

According to the ZigBee Alliance, ZigBee Home Automation offers a global standard for interoperable products. Standardization enables smart homes that can control appliances, lighting, environment, energy management and security as well as the expandability to connect with other ZigBee networks.

On the other hand, Sigma Designs explains Z-Wave as a wireless RF-based communications technology designed for control and status reading applications in residential and light commercial environments. Target applications for Z-Wave are home entertainment, lighting and appliances control, HVAC systems and security.

Interoperability is a big issue. The Z-Wave protocol is not open, and can be provided only under licensing with Sigma Designs and can only run on their silicon receivers. The Z-Wave devices will interoperate well with similar Z-Wave devices. The challenge is the limited set of devices and architectures you can support. ZigBee on the other hand, as an open industry standard, will allow interoperability with any ZigBee certified device. ZigBee has defined several profiles per market segments. The ZigBee Home Automation standard is fully interoperable with a variety of devices such as door locks, sensors, alarms, smoke detectors, blinds, motor control etc.

The same device can also interoperate with other profiles such as ZigBee Light Link (LEDs, CFLs, light sensors, light switches, etc.). There are a few silicon vendors that are providing a complete interoperable solution today. One example is Texas Instruments who is providing the CC2538 device, which can fully interoperate between ZigBee Home Automation, ZigBee Light Link and ZigBee Smart Energy networks.
        The future of home automation – ZigBee or Z-Wave?
        Last edited by Pete; May 11, 2014, 10:51 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

A lot of the Lowes Iris stuff is Zigbee. Zigbee seems to be catching on.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            A lot of the Lowes Iris stuff is Zigbee. Zigbee seems to be catching on.
            Only when manufacturers want to build locked down system.

If you buy z-wave you have choice of dozen+ of controllers and all will support your devices. Zigbee devices could be supported by one controller but not another as there is no generic "command class"/"API" that devices must support. I thought carefully thru this and went 100% with z-wave + some wifi (namely Sonos). Now I can use HS or move to Vera, Smarthings, Revolv with no need to replace switches, fans, t-stats or door locks. I could even sign up for ADT, Comcast or other cable/security provider and still use my existing devices (not that I would do that :-)

Comment

Zigbee devices could be supported by one controller but not another as there is no generic "command class"/"API" that devices must support.
              That has already changed and is currently still changing today.

The current proprietary zigbee automation market was already tested and failed miserably a couple of years ago and will fail again probably before the end of 2014.

This kind of gets into the beta versus VHS discussion. (now showing my age here).
              Last edited by Pete; May 11, 2014, 12:20 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I was looking at a kwikset revolv deadbolt, is this zigbee or zwave? And does HS support it?
                Hector
                MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Yup; Homeseer today does not support Zigbee. Thinking that you can purchase Kwikset locks today that speak Z-Wave or Zigbee or Bluetooth. Not sure what the Revolv Kwikset deadbolt talks.

Revolv is said will be talking to:

Insteon, Z-Wave, Wifi and Zigbee.

This is really the direction of the "automating" of things.

Why bother with multiple pieces of hardware talking proprietary automation wireless protocols when you can have one that talks to everything out there today such that the automation user can pick and choose what they want to utilize in the wireless automation world. (RF is RF is RF).

Maybe that automation person wants to only utilize Insteon wall switches or Z-Wave or Wifi or Zigbee. The Revolv automation hub will give them a choice of what to use and when to use it.

I do not work for these Revolv guys; just thinking its a great idea. I still though am not an automating in the cloud person and probably never will be. I will play with it because automation here is a hobby.

This is more my opinion but I truly believe this is something more feasible to do in that whole wireless automation thing.

My combo automation and security panel today talks Z-Wave, X-10, UPB and Zigbee; which is sort of neat considering how old it is today. It also talks to my thermostats, temperature sensors and Russound system.

Its an automation controller on "steroids". I tell a light switch to go on or off or dim. I don't really know or pay attention whether the switch is UPB, X-10 or Z-Wave today and don't really care as long as it turns on or off or dims.

Above was mentioned only Zigbee and Z-Wave. Its changing really fast.

Automating consumers will though probably choose one, two, three or more automation protocols depending on what they are looking for.

Relating to that whole Z-Wave versus Zigbee thing; it will come down to price probably; like the X10 stuff. 10 in wall switches for 50 dollars will draw that automation person to whatever; whether its Z-Wave or Zigbee.

I am thinking that in the wireless global automation market of Z-Wave and Zigbee most likely folks will gravitate to Zigbee; but that is me and my opinion.
                  Last edited by Pete; May 11, 2014, 02:13 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                  X