X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSTOUCH unreliable - Options?

All,

We've all been griping about the HSTouch app & HSTouch Designer. My HSTouch iPad clients have become extremely unreliable since the last upgrade to Homeseer. The app continually crashes now, doesn't pull my RSS Feeds, Etc. I've seen the year old thread that a new "Homeseer Mobile" app is coming, but no information has been given or a timeline.

I've been considering looking at another solution for my iPads for room control. I've seen Imperihome and Main Lobby (Allonis) mentioned as used by some folks. Any recommendations one way or another? (i've attached pics of my current iPad controls to give you an idea how we use them throughout the house)

I also see that Main Lobby has become a complete automation system - so is there any reason not to entertain abandoning HS completely for that solution? (yes I know thats heresy!)

Here's what I have:

UPB Lighting

ZWave Door Locks & Garage Door Openers

Zwave Thermostat

Nest Thermostat

Russound CAM 6.6 Audio

HAI Omni Pro II Security System

Blue Iris and 9 Cameras

Amazon Alexa & echo dots

3 iPad's currently using HS3Touch

Open to suggestions!

What version of HS3 are you on now?

Some RSS feeds were not working, that has been fixed.

When you says the clients are "crashing" is there an error on the client or does it just disconnect?

We are currently working with a bunch of users to iron out the issues with the latest. Build 357 included a major change to HSTouch by getting rid of the HSTouch plugin. This has many advantages but ultimately caused some issues.

If you would like to try the latest test build and give feedback we can surely address your issues immediately.

The testing is being discussed here (links to the update is there also):

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=191082

(see the end of the thread for the latest)
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      What version of HS3 are you on now?

Some RSS feeds where not working, that has been fixed.

When you says the clients are "crashing" is there an error on the client or does it just disconnect?

We are currently working with a bunch of users to iron out the issues with the latest. Build 357 included a major change to HSTouch by getting rid of the HSTouch plugin. This has many advantages but ultimately caused some issues.

If you would like to try the latest test build and give feedback we can surely address your issues immediately.

The testing is being discussed here (links to the update is there also):

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=191082

(see the end of the thread for the latest)

Comment

HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
        Plugin's:
        BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
        EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
        weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Comment

It crazy how random peoples issues are in relation to this application. I have never had any luck with iOS and normally my Android tablets are rock solid, but with the recent builds (.368 currently), my android tablets have become useless randomly disconnecting all the time. My windows units have always been and still are solid.

All platforms have glaring bugs, but most have workarounds.

Also to the point made earlier about a new mobile app, I am suspecting this recent change to HSTouch was just that, but HS could correct me if I am wrong. It has been a year since that thread was commented on by HS, so this would be my reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
              It crazy how random peoples issues are in relation to this application. I have never had any luck with iOS and normally my Android tablets are rock solid, but with the recent builds (.368 currently), my android tablets have become useless randomly disconnecting all the time. My windows units have always been and still are solid.

Also to the point made earlier about a new mobile app, I am suspecting this recent change to HSTouch was just that, but HS could correct me if I am wrong. It has been a year since that thread was commented on by HS, so this would be my reasoning.

I upgraded to 3.372 beta last night at the direction of homeseer and most of the issues have stopped at the moment. You may want to consider the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are working on a new mobile app, just other things have taken our time. Its probably 50% complete.

As for clients disconnecting. I run a custom app on Android tablets at my home and the are never disconnecting for me. Please first try the default project and see if that stays connected. If so, try to determine which screen or function in your project might be causing the disconnect. Its also possible its something with the hardware you running. There were issues with memory on some clients that don't have much memory. I am using the latest Amazon Fire 7" tablet and the HS tabletop touchscreen.

As for IOS, we just submitted a new IOS app to the App store that fixes a couple of issues, one is a connection issue related to reconnecting when the app is put in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                  We are working on a new mobile app, just other things have taken our time. Its probably 50% complete.

As for clients disconnecting. I run a custom app on Android tablets at my home and the are never disconnecting for me. Please first try the default project and see if that stays connected. If so, try to determine which screen or function in your project might be causing the disconnect. Its also possible its something with the hardware you running. There were issues with memory on some clients that don't have much memory. I am using the latest Amazon Fire 7" tablet and the HS tabletop touchscreen.

As for IOS, we just submitted a new IOS app to the App store that fixes a couple of issues, one is a connection issue related to reconnecting when the app is put in the background.
                  Thanks Rich for the info. I will try the suggestions, but my custom projects haven't changed in almost a year and have been solid until recently. To be honest and fair to you though, I am investigating all avenues of potential failure, including my wifi. The only recent change though was for me to update HS, so the logic of troubleshooting has me starting with what changed first before branching out.

Comment

Here have always utilized HS touch on windows clients. These are working fine for me today.

Always have tinkered with mobile applications (part of my job a long time ago).

I am not tethered though to my smart phones (or tablets) and keep them off in the house. Auto forward cells to home numbers and rarely text these days.

That is me though (a bit antiquated).
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                      Plugin's:
                      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

I have a Dell and 2 Asus units purchased about 2 years ago. When I first noticed the issue, it was on the Dell one (really the only one that gets used, the other two just are for looks/info), and figured it was the unit going bad and was about ready to replace it, until I started noticing the disconnect notice at the bottom of the other two.

I can't imagine that HSTouch utilizes a lot of resources on a tablet, especially enough to bog down a unit that is only a couple years old and not a cheap chinese off brand. These tablets were purchased for only one purpose and have nothing else installed on them except HSTouch. My projects for the android units literally only have 2 screens, the main one displaying weather and another for controlling music. I have slowly been trying to phase out the panels usage as my automation/scripting skills get better and they really are just there now as glorified clocks.

I started looking at my wifi yesterday, and what I notice is all my Android panels disconnect at the same time (according to HS logs), so logic would say, it could be the wireless, except all my other things that are wireless don't show issues at that time, nor have I seen any issues related to wifi... consider me stumped.

Comment

There were certainly connection issues with the betas and a re-write of the connection stuff seems to have fixed that. So make sure you are testing on build 372 or later. I also did update the Android clients recently, so I would make sure you have the latest that is in the Google Play Store and the Amazon App Store.

Thanks Rich for the info. I will try the suggestions, but my custom projects haven't changed in almost a year and have been solid until recently. To be honest and fair to you though, I am investigating all avenues of potential failure, including my wifi. The only recent change though was for me to update HS, so the logic of troubleshooting has me starting with what changed first before branching out.

Comment

@waynehead99,

Attached is a picture of one of 15 or so Homeseer Wintel HSTouchscreens. Most of them are poe connected at 1Gb.

These are tabletop running Windows embedded . I configured a couple using built in wireless. Most are running HSTouch 3.0.36. This one is running 3.0.43.

Wireless USB stick is mounted inside of the tablet. It has two micro antennas at 90 degrees mounted inside the edge of the case.

Noticed one a couple of days ago connecting and disconnecting (via HS3 Logs).

Note how long its been running. The solution here was to move it about 1/2" over.

The signal went from low to good here when I moved it.

[ATTACH]63811[/ATTACH]
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                            X