Was Cord Cutting cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Cord Cutting cut?

If so, it's a sad loss, as it had helpful info. I was about to post info about an inexpensive cloud based DVR that records OTA using its own antennas under that thread, but the entire thread seems to have vanished.
    Last edited by NeverDie; April 14, 2014, 10:44 AM.

Yup. It definitely looks to be gone. I searched for it using Google and got a link, but the link is dead.
    Attached Files
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I bet if you look again you won't even find that dangling link. Just now I went to re-read the thread from Google's cache, where it was earlier this morning, and now even that is gone too, without a trace of it ever having existed. All the helpful tips have been vaporized.

Comment

It's still coming up, but the link is still dead, too.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1105986
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I didn't cut it... actually, I think I started it! No idea where it went to. Hey Rupp... did you fat-finger this one?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
            I didn't cut it... actually, I think I started it! No idea where it went to. Hey Rupp... did you fat-finger this one?
            The Admin CP keeps a log of all actions by Admins, Super Moderators and Moderators - so it is easy to find out who did what. One of my posts was deleted without any explanation. There is nothing more irritating than having a post deleted, without any explanation as to the rationale. I created and ran two successful special interest forums with total membership of over 40,000. I had a rule in place that posts were never to be deleted without justifiable cause. If there was ever a deletion, the original poster was sent a PM with an explanation. Further, threads or posts were either "soft deleted" or moved to a private forum so that the deletion could be discussed among the site Admins and Moderators. Nine times out of ten the thread was restored with my posting an explanation of why it was done. We never deleted anything that was critical of the board or management, instead using it as an opportunity to garner criticism - constructive or otherwise. Our membership was very appreciative of the process and it reassured them that there would never be any arbitrary shenanigans by the management.
            Last edited by randy; April 14, 2014, 06:09 PM.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
              This has happened on multiple occasions...
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have no idea what you guys are talking about but if it was in the Off Topic forum there's a very very good chance it got deleted with the dozens of spams that target this forum daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  I have no idea what you guys are talking about but if it was in the Off Topic forum there's a very very good chance it got deleted with the dozens of spams that target this forum daily.
                  Why delete an entire thread because of a SPAM post? I would recommend a private forum, we called ours "Wastebasket" where you can move posts instead of deleting them. I used to move threads there first, prune the SPAM, then move the threads back. In addition to banning a spammer, we would also block the IP. While it is initially a bit of work, you eventually start making headway. There are also some very good SPAM abatement tools over at vBulletin.org. I know this is an older version, probably 3.6.x or 3.7.x, but there are still some very effective SPAM solutions for older versions of vBulletin.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                    Why delete an entire thread because of a SPAM post? I would recommend a private forum, we called ours "Wastebasket" where you can move posts instead of deleting them. I used to move threads there first, prune the SPAM, then move the threads back. In addition to banning a spammer, we would also block the IP. While it is initially a bit of work, you eventually start making headway. There are also some very good SPAM abatement tools over at vBulletin.org. I know this is an older version, probably 3.6.x or 3.7.x, but there are still some very effective SPAM solutions for older versions of vBulletin.
                    I do not delete the entire thread just the spam messages (threads). When I have to select 60-70 spam threads it's easy to grab a thread accidentally though. This shouldn't be a problem going forward though as we now moderate all new users so the spam should be gone for now on.

Comment

I am administrator of a couple of other forums.

One night; while half asleep; I had a peek at one of the forums I administer.

The entire forum had been spammed; literally someone hit every thread.

That said I went to deleting a bunch of stuff and did end up deleting entire threads by accident mostly because I was half asleep and wanting to go to bed. There were threads that were a couple of years old. The main administrator was able to restore most if not all the threads from the previous night backup. I apologized to the forum users and main administrator for my faux pas. It sort of freaked me out that so one or two spammers could do so much in so little time.

I administer another forum which puts the discarded threads into a holding pattern bucket for one more review before they are deleted similar to what was mentioned by Randy above. I have seen similiar spamming on that forum. What I have noticed though there is really no speedy way to delete multiple spam messages in multiple threads. I can though typically see all of the new posts and have been able to delete them all at once.

The two mentioned forums above though have more than one or two administrators which makes it easier to manage. The idea of having long time users help administer the forum was brought both by the users and administrators and I volunteered. Something like that would work here too.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,
                        The good news is we've only had 3 spam messages in the last four weeks since going to the user moderation route so this shouldn't happen going forward.

Comment

Here ya go guys.
                          http://web.archive.org/web/201308311...d.php?t=159618

Tim
                          FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Capt-Tim/209398425902188

HSTouch Layouts - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5902188&type=3

Comment

Nice find Tim.
                            Billy

Comment

Originally posted by fungun View Post
                              There's a more current capture, but it nonetheless didn't capture beyond the first page.

Comment

Working...
                              X