Plugin to monitor Z-Wave battery device Health - CLOSED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
    So you mean just set SDJ-Health as the device type rather than differentiating the Root and Children?
    That seems a sensible. I will implement it in the next update.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure that you understood exactly what I was trying to say though...I asked this of Rob Mason a while back working on the HAI/Omni Plug-In....reference here explains better what I was trying to convey...

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...88&postcount=6

Does that make sense?

-Travis

Comment

Steve,

I have a Kwikset lock that missed its reporting so I disabled it and then enabled it.

It is still waiting. When I go to config, it is not in the drop down as a device to poll (it was there previously).

How do I get the PI to pick it up again?

Thanks,
      Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Daweeze View Post
        Hi Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure that you understood exactly what I was trying to say though...I asked this of Rob Mason a while back working on the HAI/Omni Plug-In....reference here explains better what I was trying to convey...

Does that make sense?

-Travis
        OK, I understand now.
        I have added a routine to update the device types so they work as you describe. I want to test it for a while before posting the update.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
          Steve,

I have a Kwikset lock that missed its reporting so I disabled it and then enabled it.

It is still waiting. When I go to config, it is not in the drop down as a device to poll (it was there previously).

How do I get the PI to pick it up again?

Thanks,
          I'm not sure what is happening. I've just tested disabling a device being monitored by polling and it is still in the list of devices requiring polling and selected. Re-enabling it doesn't cause any problems either.

What version of SDJ-Health are you running? 3.0.5.2 is the current released version. If you are not on that can you update and then see if the problem still exists.

If you are on the latest version then set LogLevel to 2 for debugging then exit and re-enter the SDJ-Health Config page. You can then set LogLevel back to 0 or 1. Capture your log filtered for just SDJ-Health messages for the period when the Config page was opening. You should see an entry for 'Building Battery Device List', see if anything of note comes after that.

Also have a look at your Kwikset lock devices. Check that they are all still grouped together with at least a root device and a battery child. There is a ZWave bug where the root devices sometimes loose there relationship status. Have a look at the Advanced tab of the Kwikset lock root device and check the Relationship Status is 'Parent Root'.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

I updated to the latest version of the PI, deleted the SDJ device, entered config and lo and behold, the lock battery appears in the devices to poll - drop down list. All is good.

Thanks for your PI and your help,
            Michael

Comment

Steve,

I updated to the latest version of the PI, deleted the SDJ device, entered config and lo and behold, the lock battery appears in the devices to poll - drop down list. All is good.

Thanks for your PI and your help,

That's good news.

Comment

Reporting...

Steve,

If you are sitting around scratching your head trying to figure out what you could next add to your great PI, may I suggest a report that could be output in either HTML or plain text so that it could be emailed?

My wife, while not a HS3 enthusiast, nevertheless relies on our home automation, which includes battery operated devices. I would like her to receive an email on a weekly or monthly basis that lists all devices' battery level.

Why, you may ask? Well, if I'm not around, I want to make it as easy as possible for her.

Thanks,
                Michael

Comment

Steve,

If you are sitting around scratching your head trying to figure out what you could next add to your great PI, may I suggest a report that could be output in either HTML or plain text so that it could be emailed?

My wife, while not a HS3 enthusiast, nevertheless relies on our home automation, which includes battery operated devices. I would like her to receive an email on a weekly or monthly basis that lists all devices' battery level.

Why, you may ask? Well, if I'm not around, I want to make it as easy as possible for her.

Thanks,
                  No work required as the plugin already does this.

If you look at the sample events in the SDJ-Health Guide the 2nd event sends an email with a full report of all the monitored devices. This specific event is intended to be triggered by the first event when an alert has been raised. However, if you want a full report at specific times just create an event like this but set the trigger to the time or time interval you want.

The event changes the string of the root monitoring device to show the full report of all monitored devices. This is an html formatted string. The event then sends an email with that string as the message. In the message change 1597 to the RefID of your SDJ-Health root device.

I think that is what you are looking for but if not let me know.

Steve
                  Attached Files

Comment

Okay, RTFM...

Thanks,
                    Michael

Comment

Okay, RTFM...,
                      I wouldn't be that blunt

Comment

Plug-in updated to 3.0.5.5. Attached to message #241 at the top of page 13.
                        https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...186122&page=13

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Does that make sense?

-Travis
                          Hi Travis,
                          Try the latest version 3.0.5.5. I think it now does what you are asking for.

Steve

Comment

For those who are adventurous it is possible to use this plug-in with technologies other than ZWave with a bit of ingenuity. In time I may be able to adapt the plug-in to make it easier for this but at the moment you can include other devices using the 'Activity Monitoring' method by creating suitable grouping within HS3.

If the particular technology already groups devices, as ZWave does, then they may already work. However, if they aren't you can manually group them.

For a device to be monitored it needs to be in a group that has at least a 'Parent' and a 'Battery Child'. Activity monitoring will monitor all devices within the same group for activity to check that the physical device is alive.

Freedan101 notes in message #236 of this thread how he uses the plug-in for his RFXCOM battery devices.

I have one old X10 RF battery powered motion detector still in use. It is a single simple device and doesn't report anything sophisticated like battery levels or low battery warnings but all I want to know is when the batteries die so I can replace them. They last an awful long time, unlike most ZWave devices. To be able to add this device to SDJ-Health I just needed to create a virtual device to act as the dummy battery child and turn the actual device and this virtual device into a Parent Child relationship.

I created the virtual battery device first. IMPORTANT You need to set the Device Type (string) to Battery on the Advanced tab, see below.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	AdvancedJPG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1192386

Whilst it isn't really necessary I also set up the Status Graphics as per the attachment so that it looks like a battery device and you can manually set a battery level.

Name:	Status Graphics.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1192387

It might be better to set a graphic that reflects the fact that this is an assumed reading but that depends on the level of your ocd.

The next step is to use Jon00's device grouping utility to group the real and virtual devices together. WARNING This is a great tool but be careful with it. I would recommend checking first that any devices you are going to alter have no Relationship Status set on their Advanced tab. If they already have Relationships then don't mess with them unless you know what you are doing.

Select the actual motion detector as the Parent Root Device and the Virtual battery device as the Child and create the group. The real and virtual devices should then appear grouped together in the Device Manager view as shown below.

Name:	Group.jpg
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1192388

If you want you could create a new Parent Root device and set both the motion detector and the dummy battery as children, it's up to you. A separate Parent is not necessary but probably more appropriate if the physical device has a number of children rather than this simple example.

I don't have this particular device configured to send dusk and dawn readings. But if I did than there would be another device configured in HS3 for the dusk dawn readings and I would add that as a child to the group.

If configured correctly then the virtual battery devices should appear in the list of devices available for Activity Monitoring on the SDJ-Health Config page. Select the device and a SDJ-Health monitoring child will be created.

In this example the battery level and discharge rate are obviously meaningless as the device doesn't doesn't send them. However, the plug-in will monitor activity and therefore will alert you if there is no activity for a preset period of time. If you have a dusk/dawn child included then that will be monitored as well as the motion detector which will improve the operation.

This might seem a long winded way of monitoring lack of activity of an X10 motion detector, and indeed it is! You could easily set an event to alert you if there has been no activity for a period of time. However, the advantage is that if you are already monitoring multiple battery devices with this plug-in then it adds the device to one centralised monitoring system with alerts and reports based on the Health status of all monitored devices.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
                              Hi Travis,
                              Try the latest version 3.0.5.5. I think it now does what you are asking for.

Steve
                              Thanks Steve! This worked perfectly!!!

-Travis

Comment

Thanks Steve! This worked perfectly!!!

-Travis
                                Good. Thanks for the feedback.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X