Socket Errors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Socket Errors?

The log starts filling up with socket errors. The error repeats over and over for several hours then it stops and restarts at some random interval. The plug in status shows "OK". The EYEZ-ON interface works fine. No loss of functionality. Looks like a TCP/IP error but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Feb-06 1:34:33 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Reconnection OK
    Feb-06 1:34:33 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.1.47:4025
    Feb-06 1:34:22 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
    Feb-06 1:34:22 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Read failure
    Feb-06 1:34:22 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Reconnection OK
    Feb-06 1:34:22 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.1.47:4025
    Feb-06 1:34:11 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
    Feb-06 1:34:11 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Read failure
    Feb-06 1:34:11 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Reconnection OK
    Feb-06 1:34:11 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.1.47:4025
    Feb-06 1:34:00 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
    Feb-06 1:34:00 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Read failure
    Feb-06 1:34:00 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Reconnection OK
    Feb-06 1:34:00 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Trying to reconnect to: 192.168.1.47:4025
    Feb-06 1:33:49 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco INFO Connection Lost, will try to reconnect in 10 seconds
    Feb-06 1:33:49 AM EnvisaLinkAdemco ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Read failure

Current Date/Time: 2/6/2016 9:18:42 AM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.208
    Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:20:48 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 3 Days 15 Hours 59 Minutes 34 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.144
    Number of Devices: 30
    Number of Events: 3

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.0.0.17: EnvisaLinkAdemco
    3.0.0.74: HSTouch Server
    3.0.1.25: Z-Wave

This error means the TCP connection has been lost (because of a problem with your local network, or with the envisalink board or with the plugin), the plugin then succesfully open a new TCP connection, but for some reason this new connection is immediately dropped.
    This problem has been reported by other users, it looks like the envisalink board is stuck for some time before it can successfully communicate again. I reported the problem to Envisacor but I don't think they have ever figure it out.

If it doesn't happen too frequently, and if ultimately the re connection happens without error, I would just ignore it.

One thing you can try which may or may not help is to add this line in EnvisaLinlkAdemco.ini in the [PANEL] section:
    Code:
    poll_zone_state_interval=30
    restart the plugin after it's done.
    It will tell the plugin to poll for zone states every 30s instead of every 5s which is the default value.
    This polling mechanism is only used to tell if a zone has been closed, so when a zone is closed it will take about 30s for the corresponding device to be updated, but if a zone is opened the update should still be almost instant.

Comment

Thanks very much for the information. I haven't used an SSH client in a long time. If I can relearn that, I'll change the polling interval and see if it helps. Thanks again.

HME

Comment

Originally posted by HME View Post
        Thanks very much for the information. I haven't used an SSH client in a long time. If I can relearn that, I'll change the polling interval and see if it helps. Thanks again.

HME
        Curious if this fixed your issue? I have the same issue with Envisalink 4.

Comment

Socket Errors revisited

I read this thread with interest because I too have been having the same issue as others. This is the log error:

Aug-01 04:24:06 EnvisaLinkAdemco ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
          Aug-01 04:23:55 EnvisaLinkAdemco ERROR Receiver::Run() A socket error has occured: Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

This occurs at random times throughout the day and upon occasion has caused the plugin to not arm or disarm the system when called for. I have set the envisalink3 to a fixed address and have that reserved on my router. I also forward port 4021.

This thread doesn't say if any of the presented solutions were helpful. I would appreciate any ideas and I am willing to do whatever research is needed by experimenting with my system and network to see if we can resolve this issue.

Comment

I have the same errors, about a dozen times each day. I've posted the question on the Eyez-On forum, haven't heard back yet.

I also asked if it was possible to shut off communication with the external server and simply use the communications between the panel, Envisalink and HS3. I'll report back on that question as well.

Comment

Well, I've engaged in a discussion with the expert on the EYEZ-ON forum and the most polite way I can put things is that they have no interest in fixing this problem, because they are certain it has nothing to do with their product.

It must be nice to see the world with such certainty.

Could I make a suggestion for the Homeseer plugin? Given that this issue is unlikely to be solved, is there a way to offer a logging option that would limit the reporting of the error only if the plugin misses 'X' consecutive connections,with X set by the user?

Comment

I see the same error. When it happens there are a lot of them in a row. I now have an event that restarts HomeSeer if this error occurs 10 times within 10 minutes. It happened yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1190786

This series triggereda restart. Restarting HomeSeer always cures it. Last year my system would completely fail when these errors occurred and it is always this Envisalink error that started the cascade of TCP failures. That was with an EVL3. I have since replaced it with an EVL4. I have replaced my network switches, router/firewall, HS server and ISP and the errors continued. Here is the tread where I described it. While the Envisalink errors continue to this day, updated Z-Net firmware stopped the cascade failure that was killing all network communication. My event that restarts HomeSeer could probably be revised to restart the Envisalink plug-in, but since this event is working now...
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Randy, how often does this error happen for you? And if you let the plug-in run, does it ultimately successfully reconnect to the EVL board?

I believe your problem is not exactly the same as the one reported by other users in this thread because you use EnvisaLink DSC, and it does not seem that a lot of DSC users experience frequent disconnections whereas most of EnvisaLink Ademco users seem to experience several disconnections everyday.

I personally use a DSC panel and I rarely see some disconnection in the logs (maybe once in a week) and the plugin always seem to reconnect ok.

I don't have an Ademco panel to test with, but the EnvisaLink DSC plug-in is very similar to the EnvisaLink Ademco (in terms of socket management at least) that's why I think the problem may be in the Ademco TPI.
                  I will contact again the Envisacor dev I know, and will see with him how we can best troubleshoot this problem.

Comment

It happens once or twice a week and has since I reported it in the thread I referenced above last year. I only keep 7 days of logs now, but it has happened three times in the last 7 days. May 1 at about noon, May 3 at about 4:00AM and May5 at about 2:00AM.

I know my entire system would go down and would not recover for hours when I first started seeing it last year. I would lose almost all IP communication for HomeSeer (3 OWServers, GEM, Arduinos, Z-Nets, etc.).
                    It only affected HS connected devices on the network. 13 HD cameras, a weather station and nightly backups of PCs were unaffected. The recorded streams forall of the cameras didn't even have a momentary hiccup.

The precursor to the system failure would always start with an Envisalink error. With the Envisalink unplugged and the plug-in disabled for a week last year, I did not see a failure. With the Z-Net updates last September, the system would not be overwhelmed any longer, but when the Envisalink errors would start, they might continue for hours. I put the events in place that look for the error to happen 10 successive times in a short period and restarts HS. Because of the restart, I do not know if it will cure itself. Like I said, before the events I saw the errors in the log when I awakened in the morning and they could have been going on for hours.

With the events in place it always clears up with a restart. I may modify the event to restart the plug-in and see what happens.

This is just a guess and somewhat above my pay grade, but I am very suspicious that there is a problem with how a HS server handles sockets when it is running. I tried to move my HS installation to a VM and a WSE 2012r2 machine, both of which were running it last year. When I moved to these two machines random plug-ins would fail to initialize. I outlined the problems here. I still have not figured out orresolved that problem. I simply disabled and enabled plug-ins to get it running, then finished the hardware upgrades to my HS server and moved back to it, where it continues to run fine.
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I'm seeing 10 or 20 errors per day (with an Ademco system). It is great that you know someone at Envisacor, since the person who was communicating on their discussino forum is not going to be helpful.

Looking forward to learning more. I am happy to help test on an Ademco system if you need it.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by jwshome2 View Post
                        I'm seeing 10 or 20 errors per day (with an Ademco system). It is great that you know someone at Envisacor, since the person who was communicating on their discussino forum is not going to be helpful.

Looking forward to learning more. I am happy to help test on an Ademco system if you need it.

Regards.
                        The developer said he needs a dump of the traffic. So, if your HS3 server runs on windows, install wireshark filter on the ip of your envisalink and capture the traffic during one day. Also make sure the plug-in is configured to log to file at the Debug level. Then send me both the wireshark capture and the plug-in log file.

Thanks

Comment

OK, will do. I have never used wireshark so it may take me a bit of time. But I will get you the info.

Comment

Working...
                          X