I have a PI and RAZberry ZWave interface can I build my own Z-NET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
    My SD card became corrupted, so I had to do this again. So I decided to summarize what needs to be done in one post.

1. Install ser2net on RasPi:
    Code:
    apt-get install ser2net
    /etc/ser2net.conf
    Code:
    2001:raw:60:/dev/ttyAMA0:115200
    2. Configure serial port

/boot/config.txt
    Code:
    enable_uart=1
    # switch bluetooth function to ttyS0 and restore UART0/ttyAMA0 over GPIO 14&15
    dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
    /boot/cmdline.txt
    Code:
    dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait
    3. In HS server add Z-Wave interface:
    [ATTACH]62515[/ATTACH]

4. Backup SD card image i.e following How To Clone Your Raspberry Pi SD Card
    Further information to alexbk66's useful step by step. If you want to use a USB stick rather than an internal interface you need a slightly modified Step 1, and don't require Step 2.

Step 1
    1. Install ser2net on RasPi:
    Code:
    apt-get install ser2net
    /etc/ser2net.conf
    Code:
    2001:raw:60:/dev/ttyACM0:115200
    NOTE ttyACM0 instead of ttyAMA0

Step 2
    Not needed for USB stick

I have been running a remote ZWave network on a ZMEEUZB1 plugged into a RPi3 connecting through a VPN over the internet to my main HS3 system running on windows. Originally I used VirtualHere server/client so that the USB stick appeared as a COM port on the windows machine. This has worked well for several weeks. The only downside is that if there is an internet dropout (happens perhaps every couple of days) the ZWave plugin drops the remote interface and doesn't reconnect without the plugin being restarted. I had this handled by events so it didn't really cause any issues other than a short interruption in my local ZWave network as well as the remote one.

I have now swapped from VirtualHere to Ser2Net. The benefit is that the ZWave plugin recovers from dropouts in the IP connection to the remote network without requiring a restart so doesn't interrupt the local network.

So far this is running well.

Steve

Comment

Hi,
      I just saw this thread as I was considering the purchase of a z-net. As I already have a RPi2 I was wondering what else would I need to purchase to DIY a z-net instead? I saw some mention of AZ wave gpio board. Are there any instructions on how to do this?

Thanks
      Andy

Comment

Here using my old RPi2 with first ZWave dot me GPIO version card.

[ATTACH]62747[/ATTACH]

It is stacked over a PiFace RTC shim.

Building this device is easy.

1 - purchase a ZWave GPIO card (google RPi ZWave GPIO card purchase)
        2 - install it on your RPi2.

and then follow the instructions posted above your post.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by ando1 View Post
          Hi,
          I just saw this thread as I was considering the purchase of a z-net. As I already have a RPi2 I was wondering what else would I need to purchase to DIY a z-net instead? I saw some mention of AZ wave gpio board. Are there any instructions on how to do this?
          As mentioned in this thread, there are two options available to add znet-like capability to a Raspberry Pi -- (1) GPIO card; (2) USB stick.

USB stick option is the least expensive. Homeseer sells several, SmartStick+ and Nortek HUSBZ-1. Nortek is on sale right now, $10 off. (I believe that Nortek is OEM of the SmartStick+, so these two are for all intents and purposes the same product). For European markets, Homeseer sells the ZWave.me UZB (euro), but isn't offering the US version at this time. [I picked up a US version for $35]. The UZB and the Nortek/Smartstick+ function exactly the same; both appear as /dev/ttyACM0 to the rpi.

There are a couple of GPIO cards that I know of. The GPIO card that comes with the znet (I believe this is still true) is the EZZee from Express Controls. As far as I know, this is not available for consumer purchase.
          The other one is the ZWave.me Razberry. I picked up one of these recently for $65. (Since this is Homeseer's site, I'll not post a link out of respect to them).

Another interesting USB stick is the Nortek USBZB1-1. This has both ZWave and Zigbee radios in one stick, for less that $40. On the rpi, ZWave appears at /dev/ttyUSB0 and Zigbee at /dev/ttyUSB1. I have no idea how to use the Zigbee though. (Not that I have any real need for three of the four ZWave controllers I've accumulated!! ).

Comment

Interesting about the combo Z-Wave and Zigbee device.

This would be a nice new combo Homeseer ZNet ZWave and Zigbee device with drivers.

I am currently using / tinkering with Zigbee here with my Leviton OmniPro 2 panel, Samsung Hub and Almond Plus devices.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Here is an rpi hopelessly overloaded with ZWave controllers.

1) Zwave.me Razberry2 GPIO card (note trace antenna; measures approx. 3 inches, which would be the quarter wavelength for 900Mhz Zwave transmissions)
              2) Nortek HUSBZB-1 combo Zwave/Zigbee USB stick
              3) Zwave.me UZB Zwave USB stick
              Attached Files

Comment

How's that new Z-Wave GPIO card perform?

Here switched the Zee-2 over to a Pine64 2Gb computer running Ubuntu 64 bit.

Next will probably try it on the Rock64 computer and move it to a media can.

[ATTACH]62755[/ATTACH]

ROCK64 is a credit card size 4K60P HDR10 Media Board Computer powered by Rockchip RK3328 Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit Processor and support up to 4GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory. It provides eMMC module socket, MicroSD Card slot, Pi-2 Bus, Pi-P5+ Bus, USB 3.0 and many others peripheral devices interface for makers to integrate with sensors and devices. Various Operating System (OS) are made available by open source community such Android 7.1, Debian, Yocto and many more to come.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I just purchased a Z-net for now but I am also going to build one of these for the fun of it.

Comment

When I set mine up I use the Z-NET model not the Ehternet one. Seem to run quite well after reloading the Z-Wave card settings and doing general cleanup. Connecting nicely to my other Pi running HS3 standard but we'll see what happens after 24 house have passed.

Now to order my Rocket64 so I really get things humming.

While I'm thinking about it. How many of interfaces is too many in a 2,800 sqft house?

In addition, when one has mixture of 40Kbps Z-Wave and 100Kbps Z-Wave Plus devices, since they operate on different frequencies, it would seem to me having multiple interfaces would be good so each interface only work at 40 or 100.

Thoughts?
                    Last edited by Timon; June 3, 2018, 02:44 PM.
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

I have a very spread out implementation requiring multiply Z-wave networks. I currently have 3 different Z-wave networks and soon will be adding a fourth.

I am using Virtualhere Clients running on ethernet connected Raspberry Pi 3B+ systems to place a Homeseer SmartStick+ into each of my Z-wave networks spread out across our location all connecting to my HS3 Pro Linux system over Ethernet.

So far I am pretty happy with Virtualhere once I turned on "Auti-Use Device/Port".

I am almost done migrating all of my smartthings connected devices from two smartthings hubs over to my single HS3 PRO Linux system. It is so kewl to not have to deal with multiple hubs anymore and be able to have one HA system where I run motioneye, MQTT and other utility programs along with HS3 Pro

----------------------------------------------------------

Cuerrent Date/Time: 12/3/2018 11:44:18 PM
                      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                      Linux version: Linux patrick-G751JY 4.15.0-39-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 23 15:48:01 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 4 Hours 18 Minutes 26 Seconds
                      Number of Devices: 167
                      Number of Events: 9
                      Available Threads: 786
                      HSTouch Enabled: True
                      Event Threads: 0
                      Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
                      Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
                      Device Exec Queue: 0
                      HSTouch Event Queue: 0
                      Email Send Queue: 0
                      Anti Virus Installed:

Enabled Plug-Ins
                      1.0.0.148: Arduino Plugin
                      1.3.4.3: Device History
                      3.9.610.5: HSBuddy
                      3.4.15.0: mcsMQTT
                      3.0.0.31: Nest
                      3.0.0.14: NetCAM
                      3.0.2.240: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by pbigelbach View Post
                        I have a very spread out implementation requiring multiply Z-wave networks. I currently have 3 different Z-wave networks and soon will be adding a fourth.

I am using Virtualhere Clients running on ethernet connected Raspberry Pi 3B+ systems to place a Homeseer SmartStick+ into each of my Z-wave networks spread out across our location all connecting to my HS3 Pro Linux system over Ethernet.

So far I am pretty happy with Virtualhere once I turned on "Auti-Use Device/Port".
                        I also use VirtualHere, though in my case it is simply to pass USB devices from the physical hypervisor into a VM.

Are you paying for licensing on 3 (4?) virtualhere server clients? That would be quite expensive? I understand the free version lets you use a single device per server but I thought the auto-use port feature required a license?

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post

I also use VirtualHere, though in my case it is simply to pass USB devices from the physical hypervisor into a VM.

Are you paying for licensing on 3 (4?) virtualhere server clients? That would be quite expensive? I understand the free version lets you use a single device per server but I thought the auto-use port feature required a license?
                          I have one Homeseer SmartStick+ per Raspberry so I can use the free server version, The client running HS3 Pro server is free regardless of the number of VirtualHere Servers (Raspberry Pi's) it is connecting to.

Comment

I just received my RaZberry to replace MY EZZee that died. Loaded it up on my existing Z-NET and everything seems to work except I don't get the restore option. I've see reference to that in this thread but didn't find a solution. I getting ready to build a new image with the standard ser2net just to see if that might help.

Ideas?
                            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                            Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                            Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                            3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                            4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                            3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                            SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

I'm seeing the same thing with the Razberry. However the UZB, HUSBZB-1 both appear to allow restore. Wonder if its keying off the controller ID and/or the firmware version.

From the log at connection...

Ezzee
                              Controller Manufacturer: Express Controls, ID=0x2, Type=0x5
                              Controller firmware version: 4.32

Razberry
                              Controller Manufacturer: Telsey, ID=0x2, Type=0x4
                              Controller firmware version: 5.4

UZB
                              Controller Manufacturer: PowerLynx, ID=0x1, Type=0x4
                              Controller firmware version: 5.5

HUSBZB-1
                              Controller firmware version: 4.32
                              (Controller Mfgr not displayed)

Comment

Here have never updated the firmware on the old Razberry GPIO card in the attic POE connected RPi ...(not a ZNet) and see...

I have used the ZWave HS3 features here to copy the configuration to the Smartthings hub and the Leviton VRCOP. (Autonomous but same ZWave networks talking to the same ZWave devices.)

Jan-11 9:06:14 AM Z-Wave ZWaveMe: Controller Manufacturer: Telsey, ID=0x1, Type=0x4
                                Jan-11 9:06:14 AM Z-Wave ZWaveMe: Controller firmware version: 5.0
                                Jan-11 9:06:14 AM Z-Wave ZWaveMe: Z-Wave services for the SECURITY COMMAND CLASS were successfully started.
                                Jan-11 9:06:14 AM Z-Wave ZWaveMe: Z-Wave Serial API version: 5

Click image for larger version

Name:	zzwave.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1274876

xxx
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X