www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old August 15th, 2017, 10:38 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
I am surprised that you say your UniFi controller doesn't use the standard port. I had to configure my UniFi controller for port 514 and the IP of my HS server, then I had to open up the port in my firewall. Ultralog listens to 514 by default.

My UniFi controller "suggested" 514 in sort of a dim font, but I had to actually enter it. I initially has pfSense posting to the Ultralog syslog so I had already set an inbound rule for the port. Now both pfSense and the Ubiquiti APs are posting to the Ultralog syslog server.

Are you able to trigger events by specific MAC address connecting/disconnecting to your pfsense machine? What benefits do you see from using the pfsense logs in UltraLog?
Old August 15th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
I am surprised that you say your UniFi controller doesn't use the standard port. I had to configure my UniFi controller for port 514 and the IP of my HS server, then I had to open up the port in my firewall. Ultralog listens to 514 by default.

My UniFi controller "suggested" 514 in sort of a dim font, but I had to actually enter it. I initially has pfSense posting to the Ultralog syslog so I had already set an inbound rule for the port. Now both pfSense and the Ubiquiti APs are posting to the Ultralog syslog server.
I'll give it another try and check everything tonight. Mt Ubifi suggested 514, but when I pressed enter it did go red. Maybe I try entering it and then saving. If I can get 514 to work it might be easier. Will also try to turn the firewall off, and try the command line... sounds like it should work
Old August 15th, 2017, 10:46 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee123 View Post
I'll give it another try and check everything tonight. Mt Ubifi suggested 514, but when I pressed enter it did go red. Maybe I try entering it and then saving. If I can get 514 to work it might be easier. Will also try to turn the firewall off, and try the command line... sounds like it should work
The 514 you see on the controller is not actually an entry, it is a suggestion. You must actually type in the port.

"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old August 15th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Seer Deluxe

Unifi Controller Wifi user connect/disconnect data

@mikee123 what OS are you running?

For Windows 10 for example...
After you enabled Syslog and restarted HS3 Windows should presented you with dialogue window requesting permission to run. This then creates and sets the firewall app rule enable HSUltralog to local communicate and therefore you should not need to explicitly set a firewall rule for the port.

Click on allow app or firewall feature through Windows Firewall

Review to see if HSPI_UltraLog3 entry exists and whether it is checked for local.
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:05 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
Are you able to trigger events by specific MAC address connecting/disconnecting to your pfsense machine? What benefits do you see from using the pfsense logs in UltraLog?
I'm not doing that yet. I am still learning what information is put in the log by the APs. At this point I don't even know if there is anything I want to do with that data, I am just looking and learning. It is possible I may not find a need for the information - or something may come to me.
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Seer Master

Got it !! I can see all the messages in the syslog tab. Now I only have to figure out what is what and I can start creating events.

So do I use this for the device as having connected to the AP

ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b IEEE 802.11: associated

or this:

ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Old August 15th, 2017, 06:58 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Got it !! I can see all the messages in the syslog tab. Now I only have to figure out what is what and I can start creating events.

So do I use this for the device as having connected to the AP

ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b IEEE 802.11: associated

or this:

ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

You use this: ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b IEEE 802.11: associated

That said you ALSO have to specify the AP. Please look at the screenshots I posted of my event for connecting to my outside AP. They each have some unique identifying jargon.

I know this because I spent some time watching the log and experimenting with moving from on AP to another.

Also!
The format of the things I needed to look for changed with an update to the Unifi software a few years back. I used to be able to sort APs by IP address, but no longer.
Old August 16th, 2017, 02:44 AM
Seer Master

I have set up a couple of test events which fire push notifications when triggered. So far its seems to work well, I am only using ath0: STA 54:e4:3c:cc:42:2b IEEE 802.11: associated
or ...disassociated without an AP specified.
One observation, my wife's phone is on Android 6, and the Wi-Fi keeps going to sleep, So the ping I am using on my phone on Android 5 to determine if it is still in the house. This does not work with Android 6 which is a pita. But, with the syslog method, it seems to stay associated. Have to watch it a bit longer, but that could be really good for me if that is the case.

Last edited by mikee123; August 16th, 2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Seer Master

I have also Unifi and I may do the same thing you have been doing, so thanks for the posting. On a side note, Jon00 has a great network and computer plugin that monitor devices, you may also want to take a look at it. Be ready, I will ask more question later about your implementation.

Thanks,
Aldo
Old August 16th, 2017, 08:45 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
One observation, my wife's phone is on Android 6, and the Wi-Fi keeps going to sleep, So the ping I am using on my phone on Android 5 to determine if it is still in the house. This does not work with Android 6 which is a pita. But, with the syslog method, it seems to stay associated. Have to watch it a bit longer, but that could be really good for me if that is the case.

Now that right there is a very interesting fact. I might just scrap my non Unifi AP for this benefit.
Old August 17th, 2017, 12:03 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
Now that right there is a very interesting fact. I might just scrap my non Unifi AP for this benefit.
I can confirm that when my ping sensor stops working on the sleeping phone (only when its sitting still and not charging) in my unifi controller web UI I can see the phone is still connected.

Really I have gotten geofencing down to working perfect (phlocation and EgiZone using pathsense) that it's not a huge issue for me anymore. I still ahve ping sensor as a last resort (backup) only for getting home. Has nothing to do with leaving since it falses. I use small 150 meter radius for getting home and leaving. No falses yet with pathsense and ignore false reports checked.
Old August 17th, 2017, 02:41 AM
Seer Master

Have been testing the associated/disassociated event a bit more. It really seems quite reliable. When leaving the house, geofencing I had to walk about 300 yards from the house before it triggered the 'away' event. Now its much earlier, about 50 yards. So that is much earlier. For coming home, geofencing triggers much earlier, but in case that doesn't trigger I have the associated with my AP as a backup. Works well, even with the Android 6 phone and the sleeping WiFi issues. So for me I'll probably get rid of the ping on the Android 6 as its useless, but don't really need it any more with geofencing and the AP combo.
Great. Can really recommend this.
Old August 18th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Seer Master

I think there might still be problems with Android 6. My wife has just left the house, but it has not triggered the disassociate event. I have to try and find out why. While doing that, if I search in Ultralogmon the syslog page, put in her MAC, as a range put in 4 days, nothing shows up. I know I had a few associate/disassociate events as they have triggered my HS3 event and push notification to my phone. If I search for the MAC of my phone, again for 4 days, all I get is todays events. I know I had events yesterday, but they do not show. I guess I am doing something wrong in the search ? It would help to be able to do a proper search to be able to find out whats going on...
Attached Images

Old August 18th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Have been testing the associated/disassociated event a bit more. It really seems quite reliable. When leaving the house, geofencing I had to walk about 300 yards from the house before it triggered the 'away' event. Now its much earlier, about 50 yards. So that is much earlier. For coming home, geofencing triggers much earlier, but in case that doesn't trigger I have the associated with my AP as a backup. Works well, even with the Android 6 phone and the sleeping WiFi issues. So for me I'll probably get rid of the ping on the Android 6 as its useless, but don't really need it any more with geofencing and the AP combo.
Great. Can really recommend this.
I like your system to monitor these events, unfortunately I have few phones including an iPhone that keep disconnecting from the network. Is there any app that keeps the Wi-Fi on when they go to sleep?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old August 18th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Seer Master

I think I have found why the Android 6 phone did not trigger today. It was connecting to my guest network, which is a different (non Ubiquity) router, so doesn't show in the logs. So I will forget the guest network on that phone, that should solve that problem.
With the Apple phone WiFi going to sleep, that's the same as on Android 6. I would think there is a chance that will also stay associated to the AP, even when the WiFi goes to sleep. If that is the case, you could use it too. But someone with an iPhone would need to confirm, or if you have a Ubiquity Ap and an iPhone give it a try. To test I created events which only send a notification on every association / disassocitation for testing purposes. Once I have seen it works I am using them now fully.