www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > RFID Plug-ins > RFID Discussion

Old February 6th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Seer

What to use ...

Afternoon!

Ok, been researching for some time now and think it's time to pull the trigger. It seems cheapertronics has nothing and no way to contact them, so their reader is out. Where/What else is out there besides iAutomate for long range readers? I was looking maybe 20 foot, at max.

Maybe not RFID? Just wanting to signal the garage door when the cars pull up or signal the locks to unlock when someone is close. Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:23 AM
OverSeer

it seems most use some combination of:
-Cheapertronics - which there was another person selling them...was a post somewhere on the board
-motion sensor in the car (Hawkeye)
-ds10a with a 555 timer circuit on it - to "fake" a RFID.

I personally used to use (just have not set it back up) the motion sensor and RFID.

I had intentions to also use the lattitude plugin/script...just in case someone stole my car.

For the time being, I use a button on HStouch. So, if someone DID steal my car, right now they couldn't access my garage. Plus I have a z-wave leverl lock on the mudroom door. If the garage door closes, after (I think) 10 minutes, the mudroom door is locked. JUST in case someone DOES get into the garage (steals my wife's car).

Gotta give something up for the convienience of having "auto" garage door open.

--Dan
Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:49 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozwood90 View Post
-motion sensor in the car (Hawkeye)
-ds10a with a 555 timer circuit on it - to "fake" a RFID.
Wow, I don't think I would like to trust my house security with that hardware!

I use a bluetooth transmitter and receiver for my detection.

Old February 7th, 2012, 01:18 PM
OverSeer

Right now I'm using RFID to track the family cars and to automate some things with the coming and going of those cars.

I'm using a combination of these devices coupled with the BLRFID plug-in to achieve my success. I will tell you that there is an occasional drop out of a tag here and there and I've gone to using two tags per car to avoid the drop out. So far i've never had both tags drop out at the same time. I also found better performance using 6v batteries either AA or any other arrangement you like than i got from using the cars 12v system. I can't explain it, it just worked out that way for me.

RF8315R - Reciever
RF40315T - 40m Transmitter
RF40315T-x - 40m Transmitter with terminal block
RF8315T - 8m Transmitter

This equipment is available here.
Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
OverSeer

Marty, Thanks for the link to the former "Cheaper RFID" stuff. I have had very good luck with the "CheaperTronics" modules especially since I switched to Blades RFID plug-in. I modified my in-car transmitters; I replaced the button battery with 2 AA batteries. The button battery just could not handle cold weather. Now the transmitters will run for a year, no problem.

Steve Q
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:15 PM
OverSeer

No problem Steve, I've had pretty much the same experience as you with the button batteries. After that I tried running them off the 12v car system, funny thing is I got more drop outs doing that. I've been using the good ole double A's ever since with no problems. Like you I get a year or more out of a set.
Old February 25th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Seer Deluxe

Can you tell me more about your Bluetooth setup? I work with people with disabilities and many have limited or no hand function. Openning a locked external door is a common problem.

Daniel
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:03 PM
OverSeer

Sorry, I missed this.

I just use my Bluetooth package to detect BT devices (normally phones however I also use a BT headset as a car transmitter.

Homeseer will then trigger events depending which device is detected.
Old February 29th, 2012, 03:55 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon00 View Post
Wow, I don't think I would like to trust my house security with that hardware!

I use a bluetooth transmitter and receiver for my detection.
Jon,

Agreed, that's why I do not UNLOCK the mudroom door with anything automated :-)

In my last house, it only opened the garage door.

--Dan
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:03 PM
OverSeer

I've had good luck with the legacy cheaper RFID stuff. One 12VDC transmitter device quit working after a few years and I just replaced it.

That said I am having an issue finding one in one automobile installed a few years back...didn't put it in the headliner...

Today I use them for status but wouldn't rely on them for any security related events.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon00 View Post
Sorry, I missed this.

I just use my Bluetooth package to detect BT devices (normally phones however I also use a BT headset as a car transmitter.

Homeseer will then trigger events depending which device is detected.
Jon, so what did you do, sacrifice an old headset to wire it up to permanent power? This sounds like a great idea, assuming that you could use one of the devices where you can set a security code before doing the pairing. I would guess that then you could use it as a kind of way to authenticate it is really your own car. Or are you using it in a simpler way, like as long as the bluetooth signal is seen, it triggers your HS device (so without any kind of pairing done)?

Incidentally, I just use an additional Oregon Scientific sensor in the car to tell me if it is there or not. The only downside, is that it takes the system a few minutes to realize the sensor is missing when the car leaves. As I only use the car sensing to make sure things like the alarm got set, and etc. this is not a problem though, and I don't need any kind of extra "security."
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automated View Post
Jon, so what did you do, sacrifice an old headset to wire it up to permanent power? This sounds like a great idea, assuming that you could use one of the devices where you can set a security code before doing the pairing. I would guess that then you could use it as a kind of way to authenticate it is really your own car. Or are you using it in a simpler way, like as long as the bluetooth signal is seen, it triggers your HS device (so without any kind of pairing done)?
That is exactly right - however you cannot change the pairing code with my particular headset. Most use common codes anyway. The security is increased by detecting the correct BT MAC address of the headset which then triggers Homeseer.
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Seer Deluxe

Hi,

Has anyone had a look at theese modules:-

http://www.rfdigital.com/?targetpage...filterpn=21733

they look amazing and do everything you could want out of the box. They have a built in UART for comms to the PC and to set one up for an RFID transmitter all you have to do is apply 3V to the module and it will automatically enter RFID mode retransmitting its unique 32 bit serial number every 2 seconds.

It has a built in antenna and the standard module has a 500 ft range with an optional antenna module with a 2000ft range.

They can also be used as transceivers to send and receive RS232 data etc, they also supply keyfobs which also have push buttons built in.

The basic modules are only $14.99 and would only need a battery to become RFID transmitters, the receiver would use a module and a max232 for example and thats it.

Cabbage
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:39 AM
OverSeer

Wow - that is pretty good range. I'm watching their application videos now.

HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi2 (Raspbian)
64 Z-Wave Nodes, 162 Events, 293 Devices
UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:44 AM
OverSeer

I'm still utilizing the "cheaperRFID" stuff and its done OK but am open to trying something else.

Bluetooth would work maybe now with the automobiles in that they have BT connectivity.

Problem I've had with that is that BT transciever in the cars tends to get stuck in the "on mode" and drains the battery a bit (on the BMW's - think its still an OS issue with the BT modules). Then after removal of the phone and a bit of time the automobile BT shuts itself off.
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:45 AM
OverSeer

Jon

Can your BT script be configured to just look for BT MAC addresses and not pair with the BT?
or
Can I put BT modules on the carpc's and utilize them with your script as the carpcs shut down when the ignition switch 12VDC shuts off.
or
Just thought that I could probably configure something with the WLAN on each of them...testing internet access now on the carpc's using a modded (?) small footprint combo WLAN AP which does either local WAN or 3G/4G LAN.
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
OverSeer

Yes to the first two!
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:46 AM
OverSeer

Thank-you Jon!