www.homeseer.com    
 

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > RFID Plug-ins > RFID Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:21 PM
tennvol
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Garage Door RFID Solution

Here's my situation.... I have cleaners that come at the same day and time every week but I am generally not home at the time. I'm looking for a RFID solution that will allow them access between X time to X time. Basically the show up and have to swipe a proximity card/token to open the garage door. I'll set HS to open and close the door and then upon exit they touch the RFID reader again and HS will close the door.

What's a decent reader to use that already has a plug-in for HS? I'd like to mount the reader on the side of the garage and have the HS controlled computer within easy reach via USB cable. I prefer to use a external reader for ease of installation but can swing a indoors only reader and mount it to a side light window.

Sadly the various Z-Wave locks are out as they are all single keyed and have the thumb lever on the inside. Since I have sidelights I don't want someone to be able to break the glass and reach inside to unlock the door. I would also rather not give them the code to the garage door opener.

RFID is what I believe to be the best solution for my setup...what say you?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Steve Q's Avatar
Steve Q Steve Q is offline
OverSeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,660
I have a keypad (wireless garage door opener) on the outside of my garage. One of the features of the keypad is a temporary code that can be programmed in for X number of entries. I believe this is a common feature for most of these keypads.

When I am out of town, I plug my garage door opener into an X10 appliance module. I then have Homeseer turn on the power to the opener on Mondays from 7:45 AM to 3:15 PM. This allows access to the house only during the time I want. If someone needs to get in, I can turn on the power to the door opener via the web.

Perhaps you could use this approach.

Steve Q
__________________
HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 14th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Jerry Coleman's Avatar
Jerry Coleman Jerry Coleman is offline
Seer Deluxe
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 345
Which security system are you using? I believe Elk has a proximity card reader you could use to solve this problem.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=elk....c0.m270.l1313

They also have a proximity reader that you could install on the outside of your garage door entrance.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
drozwood90 drozwood90 is offline
OverSeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western NY
Posts: 3,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennvol View Post
Here's my situation.... I have cleaners that come at the same day and time every week but I am generally not home at the time. I'm looking for a RFID solution that will allow them access between X time to X time. Basically the show up and have to swipe a proximity card/token to open the garage door. I'll set HS to open and close the door and then upon exit they touch the RFID reader again and HS will close the door.

What's a decent reader to use that already has a plug-in for HS? I'd like to mount the reader on the side of the garage and have the HS controlled computer within easy reach via USB cable. I prefer to use a external reader for ease of installation but can swing a indoors only reader and mount it to a side light window.

Sadly the various Z-Wave locks are out as they are all single keyed and have the thumb lever on the inside. Since I have sidelights I don't want someone to be able to break the glass and reach inside to unlock the door. I would also rather not give them the code to the garage door opener.

RFID is what I believe to be the best solution for my setup...what say you?
As for the locks, why not just give them a code?

I was able to make a script that will enter and delete codes from the lock. You could just have HS enter the code in as valid, during the valid period. Then when you don't want them to have access any longer, just delete the key from the lock.

--Dan
__________________
Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:37 PM
tennvol
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Sadly it's not a ELK system and there is no prox card module for my system. I checked and my keypad does not have the ability to store codes on a temp basis...so I'm back to square one.

Right now I'm debating just having them call my wife when they want in and she can remotely open the door, then when they leave I'll install a switch they hit from the garage that will delay closing for 30 seconds.

Only issue is if I or my wife is in a meeting and can't get to the phone to open the garage door and turn off the alarm.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:35 AM
drozwood90 drozwood90 is offline
OverSeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western NY
Posts: 3,822
"Sadly the various Z-Wave locks are out as they are all single keyed and have the thumb lever on the inside."

The locks I know of accept something like 10 keys. And the script I'm using can add or remove the codes.

Your only issue is still:
"Since I have sidelights I don't want someone to be able to break the glass and reach inside to unlock the door."

However, unless you are using DEADBOLTS + remove the extra key, you are going to get a handle on any lock you put in there.

--Dan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:57 AM
JeffCharger's Avatar
JeffCharger JeffCharger is offline
Super Seer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by drozwood90 View Post
"Sadly the various Z-Wave locks are out as they are all single keyed and have the thumb lever on the inside."

The locks I know of accept something like 10 keys. And the script I'm using can add or remove the codes.

Your only issue is still:
"Since I have sidelights I don't want someone to be able to break the glass and reach inside to unlock the door."

However, unless you are using DEADBOLTS + remove the extra key, you are going to get a handle on any lock you put in there.

--Dan
I thought that for fire regulations, they had to have a manual means of getting out if the door is locked. (i.e. that it can't be a key inside)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old May 16th, 2011, 12:43 PM
drozwood90 drozwood90 is offline
OverSeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Western NY
Posts: 3,822
not on a dead bolt. BUT I think you need to leave a key in there (for fire reasons), unless the house is unoccupied (you go on vacation). Then you can take the key with you.

I'm not sure how these kinds of rules apply with service people entering the house.

--Dan
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Steve Q's Avatar
Steve Q Steve Q is offline
OverSeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,660
I am confused about what tennvol is trying to do? He mentioned the "garage door" as the entry point for his cleaning service. I assumed he was referring to his overhead garage door. If not I think he should consider it. It is a lot easier to grant access via the overhead door than a service door!

Steve Q
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:04 PM
tennvol
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Sorry yes, I am referring to a overhead garage door as the means to entry for my cleaning folks. I did check the user manual for the keypad I have and no temporary codes can be stored.

I ruled out front entry door since I can't lock and unlock it remotely.

It is a double keyed deadbolt lock (Medco high security) and as far as I know there is no such code in Virginia stating that I have to have the key inserted in the lock when the house is occupied. Common sense would tell someone to have a key close by and I have my spare key hanging on a nail with a glow in the dark tag located close to the door.

The only things I've still managed to come up with are having the cleaning crew call my wife and then raising the garage door via Homeseer or leaving a key in a keybox attached somewhere on the outside of my house, which I'd rather not do. I was thinking a RFID or proximity card mounted on the outside of the garage door would do the trick since I could enable their card for a certain period of time but I am having trouble finding a weatherproof prox card system.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Steve Q's Avatar
Steve Q Steve Q is offline
OverSeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennvol View Post
Sorry yes, I am referring to a overhead garage door as the means to entry for my cleaning folks. I did check the user manual for the keypad I have and no temporary codes can be stored.
You can get a new keypad with temporary code capability for around $50 or less. I doubt you will find any kind of keypad interface for Homeseer for that price.

Steve Q
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:14 PM
tennvol
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I'd like to have the ability to log things, in the event that something happens I can show the police (or whoever) the timestamp for X card on the prox reader.

In the short term I may have to go with a keybox or something like that
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old January 2nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Alan's Avatar
Alan Alan is offline
Seer Plus
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by drozwood90 View Post
As for the locks, why not just give them a code?

I was able to make a script that will enter and delete codes from the lock. You could just have HS enter the code in as valid, during the valid period. Then when you don't want them to have access any longer, just delete the key from the lock.

--Dan
Hi Dan,

I'm interested in using a script to program door codes. I didn't realize it was possible. Would it be possible to get a copy of your script that I could adjust for my needs?

Thanks,

Alan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Copyright HomeSeer Technologies, LLC