www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > RFID Plug-ins > RFID Discussion

Old July 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Seer

RFID sticker for Food items?

I have not done much research into RFID for automation. I know the basic tech of it but was wondering if there is a RFID tag or sticker that is small and cheap enough to put on food containers, in turn this could link to Homeseer and give you an inventory of your fridge and pantry.

The entire key to this would be a small enough RFID chip, which the smallest that seems able to transmit is about the size of a credit card.

Anyone know of smaller RFID chips that Homeseer would be able to read? I think passive would be fine as you could program the SN into a DB and have homeseer reference it for the description

Thanks
Old July 5th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Seer Deluxe

This would be awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1pp3r View Post
I have not done much research into RFID for automation. I know the basic tech of it but was wondering if there is a RFID tag or sticker that is small and cheap enough to put on food containers, in turn this could link to Homeseer and give you an inventory of your fridge and pantry.

The entire key to this would be a small enough RFID chip, which the smallest that seems able to transmit is about the size of a credit card.

Anyone know of smaller RFID chips that Homeseer would be able to read? I think passive would be fine as you could program the SN into a DB and have homeseer reference it for the description

Thanks
I agree. Although right now im not sure there is a good way to do this. I know that the "sticker" types are passive, and do not transmit. They more "oscillate" at a specific frequency when stimulated by a reader. (or maybe not thats how it was explained to me) So active inventory of whats in the cabinets does not seem possible. The fridge, due to its isolating nature, seems to be an even farther reach as even active tags would not transmit through this. I suppose you could use 8 meter tags for stuff in the pantry, but that would become cost prohibitive for most very quickly.