www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > RFID Plug-ins > RFID Discussion

Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:42 AM
nk89

RFID Reader Recomendations

I am trying to find a rfid reader that I can use to have Homeseer send an unlock command to my Kwikset 99100-011 Motorized Deadbolt.
If possible I would like to be able to add and control the use of the rfid tokens within Homeseer.

My budget is about $200

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:19 AM
Seer Deluxe

You should find what you need at http://www.rfidshop.com.hk/ for less than 100$
I've bought one. Very good communication with the seller.
Testing for the moment ; then connected to Homeseer to control alarm and lighting.
RFXCom LAN, IRTrans LAN+USB, USBModem, Oregon Scientific Sensors, 1-Wire, IPX800, Z-Wave devices
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:24 AM
nk89

Thanks

What model do you have?
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:09 AM
OverSeer

PhidgetRFID might be an option if you can use USB or an USB-over-IP solution. My RFIDseer plugin (see signature) is simple but it works.
HSPro 3.0.0.368, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.136, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk89 View Post
What model do you have?
I've bought this one "125K-R-485-W1" 125K EM4100 reader with RS485 interface and 10 "125K-T5" keyfob tags.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eole View Post
I've bought this one "125K-R-485-W1" 125K EM4100 reader with RS485 interface and 10 "125K-T5" keyfob tags.
Can you recommend a reader for long range reading when an automobile enters a driveway (e.g., 30 meters)? Thanks.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Seer Deluxe

I don't know but I think you should ask the seller directly. Sure he'll help you. I've had very good communication with him.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thank you!
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:34 PM
nk89

Quote:
Thanks for the response!
What homeseer plugin did you use to interface with it?
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Seer Deluxe

My reader is not connected for the moment because I don't have any time to test for the moment... and I don't want to destroy my server
I always prefer to install another server, or building a full Acronis image before installing new hardware.
I'll probably use Blade's free pluging : http://bladeplugins.no-ip.org/BLRfid/default.asp
I had read it seems to be the best. If someone has other information, please share, it could be usefull.
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM
nk89

Quote:
My reader is not connected for the moment because I don't have any time to test for the moment... and I don't want to destroy my server
I always prefer to install another server, or building a full Acronis image before installing new hardware.
I'll probably use Blade's free pluging : http://bladeplugins.no-ip.org/BLRfid/default.asp
I had read it seems to be the best. If someone has other information, please share, it could be usefull.
Ok Thanks.
I'll let you know how my setup turns out .
I just ordered the 125K-R-485-W1" 125K EM4100 reader with RS485 interface and 20 "125K-T5" keyfob tags.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:50 PM
nk89

Quote:
I received my reader and tags but have no clue how to get it to interface with homeseer.

It comes with a demo program, and that seems to work but the out put is all in HEX code.

Any ideas
Old November 28th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Seer Deluxe

Do you have anymore information. I haven't used this brand RFID. I have been using the iAutomate rfid for several years. iAutomate support for the Homeseer plugin ended with JRE 1.4 and questions to their support about this go un-answered. Also, iAutomate is really expensive. So, I would like to have a cheaper alternative as RFID has really solved alot of occupancy issues with my system.

What does the demo program consist of? Do you have the source code?
Old November 28th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
I received my reader and tags but have no clue how to get it to interface with homeseer.
Connect the reader to your HomeSeer server using a RS485 adapter. Then install Blade's plugin. It should work.
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM
nk89

Quote:
Connect the reader to your HomeSeer server using a RS485 adapter. Then install Blade's plugin. It should work.
No offense, but have you actually tried this your self or is this just a theory.
The reason I ask it because I thought the rfid reader I bought was faulty until I used the demo program that was included with it.
It requires you send a set of hex code commands to it before it will spit out any rfid tag id.
When it dose spit out the tag id it's all in hex code.

At this point I am not sure if it is something I am doing wrong or what.

I should also note I can't get it to work with hyper terminal or any program except the demo program they included.

Here are to links to the PDF that are included with the reader.

http://www.rfidshop.com.hk/datasheet...-Datasheet.pdf

http://www.rfidshop.com.hk/datasheet...5-protocol.pdf

Again any help is appreciated.
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:54 PM
nk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactsbob View Post
Do you have anymore information. I haven't used this brand RFID. I have been using the iAutomate rfid for several years. iAutomate support for the Homeseer plugin ended with JRE 1.4 and questions to their support about this go un-answered. Also, iAutomate is really expensive. So, I would like to have a cheaper alternative as RFID has really solved alot of occupancy issues with my system.

What does the demo program consist of? Do you have the source code?
Here are to links to the PDF that are included with the reader.

http://www.rfidshop.com.hk/datasheet...-Datasheet.pdf

http://www.rfidshop.com.hk/datasheet...5-protocol.pdf

Any help is appreciated.
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
No offense, but have you actually tried this your self or is this just a theory.
As said previously, I haven't tried, it was only theory.
But I've now tried... several hours this evening without success
Quote:
It requires you send a set of hex code commands to it before it will spit out any rfid tag id.
That's right with the demo software. But a French user made it work with a plugin he wrote and a RS232 reader. I can imagine that RS232 and RS485 respond differently. In fact I hope they don't. I can see different answers to the same command from the reader with the demo tool, even if there's only 10cm between reader and adapter.
So for the moment I suspect my USB-RS485 adapter and will probably buy another one. I'll perhaps ask the reader seller before.
As my reader will be far from the server I prefer to have a RS485 instead a RS432 reader. That's why I bought it.

If you want to have a look and test the french plugin, it's here : http://www.maison-et-domotique.com/2...dans-homeseer/
It's in french but easy to translate with google
Hope it'll work for you... and for me after buying a new adapter.
Old November 29th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Seer Deluxe

I've sent a mail to the seller.
Very bad news. There's another big difference between RS232 and RS485 readers that I didn't know and didn't see anywhere.

"The reader is with RS485 interface which need send command by polling method for card reading .
125K-R-232-W2 is with RS232 interface which don't need send command for card reading ."

So I don't see how to make it work, without writing a plugin which ask the reader every x seconds. Otherwise we'll have to buy a RS232 reader and hope the wire is not too long (I need 100-150m).

If someone knows how to create a plugin for this, I'm very interested, and think I'm not alone.

Thanks