Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can the Micro usb wire be on Echo dot( second gen)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can the Micro usb wire be on Echo dot( second gen)?

Hi, i am planning to change the wire color to white. And i ant to put some of my echo dots on the ceiling .

So do you think a 15 feet wire is to long to power the dots?

Thank you !!

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post
    Hi, i am planning to change the wire color to white. And i ant to put some of my echo dots on the ceiling .

Thank you !!
    It really depends on a number of factors, is this a 15 foot USB cable or are you making your own cable? With the Echo probably pulling at least an amp you could find at the end of the cable (depending on the type/AWG) you have sufficient voltage drop for the Echo to no longer work. The only way around it then is to get a power supply that you can adjust the output and then measure at the end of the cable what voltage you have. With it only needing 5V you don't need much of a voltage drop to start having issues with the device whereas if it was 12V (another option is to run another low voltage say 12V and then step it down with a regulator close to the Echo) you might find that if you had 11V at the end of the cable things still work OK but if you had 4V and the Echo wants 5V it is unlikely to like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post

Thank you !!
      I've got a couple of my Echo Dots mounted on the ceiling in a couple of rooms (which are connected back to a amp and ceiling speakers).

I just ran network cable to where I wanted them and plugged one end into a POE switch and the other end fitted a PoE Splitter Power Over Ethernet 48V to 5V 2.4A Micro USB Plug which is hidden in the ceiling.

Works great.

Comment

Working...
      X