Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can sharing neutral with other circuits cause comm issues?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair enough. I'll wait for the next sale, assuming they're included in the sale. $30 a pop is a bummer.

I'm just disappointed and/or don't understand why those are still needed with so many dual-band devices around.

Sorry to beleaguer the point but is it fair to say there is no substitute device or alternative method to accomplish the same thing? IOW, cheaper? If the answer is 'no', no need to reply to that.

Thanks again for your great input, Burrington!
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

i also use the following filters. they probably won't pass through insteon msgs, but they do filter noisy devices.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002M5OJI...a-313258508046
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
        i also use the following filters. they probably won't pass through insteon msgs, but they do filter noisy devices.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002M5OJI...a-313258508046
        I have some of these and have tested them with my meter. They work perfectly well for Insteon as well as X10. Important Caution!!! They are only rated for 5 amps (600 watts) versus the FilterLinc which is good for 10 amps (1200 watts). They do not have a fuse, and just overheat and melt if you exceed 5 amps (ask me how I know...). The FiltreLinc runs fine at close to 10 amps, and has a safety fuse that blows if you exceed 10 amps, so they are safer. But, as long as your load never exceeds 600 watts, they work just fine for Insteon as well as X10.

Comment

Originally posted by Burrington View Post
          I have some of these and have tested them with my meter. They work perfectly well for Insteon as well as X10. Important Caution!!! They are only rated for 5 amps (600 watts) versus the FilterLinc which is good for 10 amps (1200 watts). They do not have a fuse, and just overheat and melt if you exceed 5 amps (ask me how I know...). The FiltreLinc runs fine at close to 10 amps, and has a safety fuse that blows if you exceed 10 amps, so they are safer. But, as long as your load never exceeds 600 watts, they work just fine for Insteon as well as X10.
          That's good information guys, thank you.

mnsandler, does that mean these devices will not solve the problem of surge protecting power strips that, by themselves, seem to degrade the Insteon signal?

When/where do you two use these 'noise filter only' devices?
          HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
          Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post

mnsandler, does that mean these devices will not solve the problem of surge protecting power strips that, by themselves, seem to degrade the Insteon signal?

i typically use these filters on power/surge strips and the only plug in devices that i want to filter and not control via insteon.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

These X10 filters are a perfect 100% replacement for FilterLincs, except they are only good for 5 amps (600 watts) vs 10 amps (1200 watts) for FilterLinc as detailed above.

Think of a bad powerstrip, or a computer, or a TV, or a UPS, or many other electronic devices that have good filters to protect themselves as a "Short circuit for Insteon (or X10) powerline signals". When an Insteon or X10 signal sees one of these, it is effectively shorted out so there is no signal left to travel over the powerline. Think of the FilterLinc as an isolator through which Insteon/X10 signals can not pass. So if you plug a FilterLinc (or an X10 filter) in ahead of the "short circuit", the short circuit is isolated from the line and the Insteon/X10 signals are not shorted out. IE, if anything loads (shorts) the Insteon signal, plug it into a FilterLinc (or these X10 filters) and it will no longer short out the signal.

There are lots of other threads in this board that explain in more/better detail. Search on "Powerline" with "Burrington" as the user and you will find better explanations.

Comment

That's great news and information. I think I have a few situations where 5 amps is enough. I have ordered a few.

I'm curious about the amp ratings on devices. Is that the maximum possible amperage draw of the device? Or does the device constantly draw that much? I'm surprised by some of the numbers I'm seeing.

A typical home circuit is 15-20A max, correct? That's what my breakers appear to say.

I have two computers and associated networking equipment powered by two UPSs, both plugged into the same circuit. 2x CyberPower 1500AVR LCD, 5-7 year old style. I do not know how to determine the total amperage draw of each UPS plus equipment. Can I be fairly certain a 10A FilterLinc per UPS will be enough? Any chance 1 FilterLinc for both UPSs would be enough?

Comment

That's great news and information. I think I have a few situations where 5 amps is enough. I have ordered a few.

I'm curious about the amp ratings on devices. Is that the maximum possible amperage draw of the device? Or does the device constantly draw that much? I'm surprised by some of the numbers I'm seeing.

A typical home circuit is 15-20A max, correct? That's what my breakers appear to say.

I have two computers and associated networking equipment powered by two UPSs, both plugged into the same circuit. 2x CyberPower 1500AVR LCD, 5-7 year old style. I do not know how to determine the total amperage draw of each UPS plus equipment. Can I be fairly certain a 10A FilterLinc per UPS will be enough? Any chance 1 FilterLinc for both UPSs would be enough?
                  a watt meter is a good way to determine the draw from any device.

i only put a 10a filterlinc on one UPS. don't push it.
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Yeah, I kinda figured 1 per UPS. Thanks for the confirmation of that and all the other useful info!

Comment

Measuring the current draw of a UPS is a bit tricky because you have to do it with your normal full load, and a dead battery. The UPS draws additional power to recharge the battery. I would suggest using one 10 amp filterlinc per UPS. I use ACT AF120 X10 filters on my UPS and other large loads because they are rated at 15 amps and have a replaceable glass fuse. However, it appears they are no longer available from my usual supplier so may be discontinued. If you find any, they work perfectly for Insteon as well as X10.

Comment

Working...
                      X