PlugExtraData_Get returning Null

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PlugExtraData_Get returning Null

I am creating a new root device(type: eDeviceType_Thermostat.Root) and I want to place a named object in the device's PlugExtraData. When I call get_PlugExtraData_Get (see below) it returns a null.
    This call works fine once the device is created and I'm checking to see if it a root device that contains the Thermostat Data. I have tried calling SaveEventsDevices() and getting a fresh device ref before making the call. Nothing seems to help. I am running the plugin remotely so that I can debug it.

PlugExtraData.clsPlugExtraData EDO = null;
    EDO = dv.get_PlugExtraData_Get(null);
    if (EDO != null) This is always null!
    {
    if (EDO.AddNamed("Thermostat Data", statData))
    {
    dv.set_PlugExtraData_Set(Util.hs, EDO);
    Util.hs.SaveEventsDevices();
    }
    else
    {
    Util.Log("Error adding named data object to plug-in sample device!", Util.LogType.LOG_TYPE_ERROR);
    }
    }

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Kirby View Post
    EDO = dv.get_PlugExtraData_Get(null);
    Note that when you did the _Get, you provided null for the hs reference, which means it is going to get the EDO from the device object currently in memory in your plug-in, so updates that you have made to the device are not going to show until you refresh (re-get) the device object. So provide your Util.hs object on the get, so that it always gets the latest version, and then always provide it on the _Set like you did here so that the changes you made are applied to the "real" device back in HomeSeer.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Thanks, Rick.
      I'm finally getting a handle on the hs vs null in the calls. I had actually tried it both ways.
      The problem turned out to be that I was expecting that HomeSeer had instantiated the clsPlugExtraData object. After going back and examining the VB.NET example I saw that the plugin was instantiating the object. Once I did that everything started working.
      The revised code became:

PlugExtraData.clsPlugExtraData EDO = new PlugExtraData.clsPlugExtraData();
      if (EDO != null)
      {
      if (EDO.AddNamed("Thermostat Data", statData))
      {
      }
      else
      {
      Util.Log("Error adding named data object to plug-in device!", Util.LogType.LOG_TYPE_ERROR);
      }
      }
      Util.hs.SaveEventsDevices();

Comment

I'm having this same issue, but your fix did not make a difference. When I go to write the EDO back to the device it fails saying it is null.

Comment

Solution found in http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=173585 and after Tinkering

I Posted a More Detailed note on thread

Comment

Working...
          X