Device Discovery, V3 Skill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    I should have typed Status, which is usually the formatted version of Value. The value of a switch is usually 0 or 100, where the Status is Off or On.
    Makes sense. When I ask Alexa what the Thermostat Temperature is she may respond "The Thermostat Temperature is 73 degrees". That is, without the "F" shown in the value. So the thermostat special handling must take the temperature Status value and add the word "degrees". I can see where the thermostat special handling would be needed if you wanted to change the temperature setpoint(s), but like the Davis Temperature status, you would not be changing the thermostat (reading) temperature. Oh well maybe next version.

Thanks
    Gary

Comment

If you are happy to use the Homeseer Automation Skill (Ask/Tell Homeseer to...) and my Echo Helper, you can create your own tailored response back to Alexa including values from virtual device(s) etc.

Using your example of the three Davis weather devices, you could say:

'Alexa, ask Homeseer the weather outside'

You could then get Alexa to say:

'The current temperature outside is XX degrees with a wind speed of YY miles per hour. The current daily rainfall is ZZ inches'

XX, YY,ZZ would be values obtained from your 3 virtual devices.
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        If you are happy to use the Homeseer Automation Skill (Ask/Tell Homeseer to...) and my Echo Helper, you can create your own tailored response back to Alexa including values from virtual device(s) etc.
        Thanks Jon, yes, I saw that thread and went in and enabled the tell HS skill. I went to download the Helper, but my connection was so slow, I gave up before I got to he right place. But I will likely give it another shot. So, is the Helper a plugin, if not how does it interface with HS?

Gary

Comment

The Homeseer Home Automation Skill is the only skill that passes the Alexa voice text string to Homeseer. My script reads that text string in real time and processes it as per the features of the package.
          Jon

Comment

Thanks much for a great interface...

Yep, your right that works great! Very worthy of a donation. The only downside, now I'm going to have to pursue all the other posts to plagiarizer ideas for other uses.

Gary

Comment

Thanks very much. I'm sure you will find something of interest!
              Jon

Comment

Working...
              X