Trane XL20i woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trane XL20i woes

So my HS3 system is coming together nicely. Events and devices work well and everything has been stable. I finally got around to what for me is one of the most important aspects...HVAC integration. I had a Trane XL624 kicking around for a while and attempted an install yesterday. However to my horror my existing XL950 is wired with their proprietary 'fully communicating' system. It has just three wires (hot, common, and 'data'). As far as I can tell I can't use any other type of thermostat aside from their 850. I used to use Smart Things and somebody came up with a device handler that logged into the Nexia website as a way of controlling the thermostat but it looks like it would be a lot of work for HS3. Anyway not being able to control the thermostat is a huge blow for me and I cringe at the prospect of going back to Smart Things and its high latency events and mobile based management. Rewiring doesn't look like an option...am I overlooking anything else?

Thanks!

Originally posted by sprange View Post
    So my HS3 system is coming together nicely. Events and devices work well and everything has been stable. I finally got around to what for me is one of the most important aspects...HVAC integration. I had a Trane XL624 kicking around for a while and attempted an install yesterday. However to my horror my existing XL950 is wired with their proprietary 'fully communicating' system. It has just three wires (hot, common, and 'data'). As far as I can tell I can't use any other type of thermostat aside from their 850. I used to use Smart Things and somebody came up with a device handler that logged into the Nexia website as a way of controlling the thermostat but it looks like it would be a lot of work for HS3. Anyway not being able to control the thermostat is a huge blow for me and I cringe at the prospect of going back to Smart Things and its high latency events and mobile based management. Rewiring doesn't look like an option...am I overlooking anything else?

Thanks!
    Worse case, you should be able to run your outside unit (unless your indoor unit is a TAM8 they only work with 3 wire is my understanding) with the normal 24V wiring. The outdoor unit would need to have a pigtail installed if it doesn't have one already. I'm pretty sure you can still use the normal thermostat wiring, you're not stuck with just the new communicating node unless the problem is they only ran the 3 wires. Hopefully they ran the normal 5-6 conductor wiring.

This is not to say the 524/624 thermostat is perfect, and it does link up to Zwave very well (Operating modes goes wonky occasionally and the clock needs to be set every so often (drift) and no DST support (Bugzilla submitted to add Z-wave time support)). I wouldn't mind a 8xx/9xx thermostat if there was a way to make it somewhat reliable, and since I control it primarily with Echo I'm already depending on an outside link for it to work.
    I did see some initial work to access the Nexia thermostat service on Github but it seems to be empty now. If I remember correctly they were passing back a Identifier that needed to be used for a response, that I may be confusing that with the hack that was used to compromise the 824's previously. I know several users have found ways to script into a subscription site for control (getURL, parse, response) so hopefully your other post will get some response. Luckily Nexia will give you a free account for Thermostat control.

Z

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it is a TAM8 and the only way it can be wired is with their proprietary 3 wire configuration. However I am going to somehow set up some scripts that will access the nexia website and change the thermostat mode. Somebody did just that for SmartThings so it's possible. Definitely not ideal but maybe a plugin could be fleshed out later.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by sprange View Post
        Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it is a TAM8 and the only way it can be wired is with their proprietary 3 wire configuration. However I am going to somehow set up some scripts that will access the nexia website and change the thermostat mode. Somebody did just that for SmartThings so it's possible. Definitely not ideal but maybe a plugin could be fleshed out later.

Sean
        Check out this site, it might help, it's the ST groovy driver for Nexia.

https://github.com/trentfoley/SmartT...pps/trentfoley

Comment

@vasrc, have you used this code and if so how did you implement and how is it working for you?
          Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
          Op System: Windows10 Pro - Work Station
          HS Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by MNB View Post
            @vasrc, have you used this code and if so how did you implement and how is it working for you?
            Never implemented it. I gave up on the Nexia based thermostats since they're not interested in API's.

My 624's are working well with a few minor exceptions:
            Time loss and no DST support (so have to Rescan every so often to reset the clocks)
            No configuration of Emergency heat delta (set sched temp changes to 2 degree steps)

Z

Comment

Working...
            X