No announcement yet.

X10 ERROR error in PollTimer_Tick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the updated info Walt. This really points to an issue with your PC's serial port(s). While it could be more clearly spelled out in the HS log, the plugin is properly reporting that it is having an issue accessing the serial port ("requested resource"), and the fact that disabling and re-enabling the port via Device Manager resolves the issue supports this. I'm not sure why this is happening, but in one of your earlier posts you stated:
    Originally posted by Walt Boudreaux View Post
    I bought this pc about 3 yrs ago and about 6-9 months after that, the serial ports stopped working. All the usb to serial are good, but the hardware serial ports no longer work. This error just showed up about 1-2 months ago.

Just putting this out as more information.
    This leads me to suspect that there is some issue with the way the OS is handling serial ports on your machine, some piece of software on the machine that is corrupting the ports or there's an issue with the hardware itself (marginal power supply or ??).

Try checking the Windows logs to see if there are any entries related to errors with your hardware.

Have you searched the 'net to see if others with the same PC are having similar serial port problems?

How long is the RS-232 cable between your PC and Ti103?

Perhaps auto-rebooting the machine every few days could at least help keep things stable for you...

Anyone else have any suggestions for troubleshooting this problem?
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
      Thanks for the updated info Walt. This really points to an issue with your PC's serial port(s). While it could be more clearly spelled out in the HS log, the plugin is properly reporting that it is having an issue accessing the serial port ("requested resource"), and the fact that disabling and re-enabling the port via Device Manager resolves the issue supports this. I'm not sure why this is happening, but in one of your earlier posts you stated: This leads me to suspect that there is some issue with the way the OS is handling serial ports on your machine, some piece of software on the machine that is corrupting the ports or there's an issue with the hardware itself (marginal power supply or ??).

Try checking the Windows logs to see if there are any entries related to errors with your hardware.

Have you searched the 'net to see if others with the same PC are having similar serial port problems?

How long is the RS-232 cable between your PC and Ti103?

Perhaps auto-rebooting the machine every few days could at least help keep things stable for you...

Anyone else have any suggestions for troubleshooting this problem?
      Thanks Mark, I have searched the net. The rs-232 cable is 3 ft long.

I think you are right, I may try solving the problem with com ports not working. I bought 2 pci cards with 2 serial ports on them as a way to troubleshoot the problem. I also tried a few things on the system board. I have several usb to serial going to other devices that are working ok.

Comment

A 3ft RS-232 cable isn't a problem. Are your other working USB->Serial adapters the same manufacturer and model as the one you're using for your Ti103? If not you might try swapping them around and see what happens.
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

Comment

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
          A 3ft RS-232 cable isn't a problem. Are your other working USB->Serial adapters the same manufacturer and model as the one you're using for your Ti103? If not you might try swapping them around and see what happens.
          I have swapped them around. I have also bought 2 new usb>serial adapters.
          I have deleted all com ports seen and unseen then reinstalled. Also deleted com ports in registry.

I guess my next step is replace power supply.

At one time, I had 4 serial ports on 2 pci cards and using system board com port. I had 3 usb>serial that I removed to use the serial ports. Then the problem showed up and I put everything on usb>serial. I brought the system in at that time because it was still under warranty and they said it was not a hardware problem.

Comment

Have you had a look at trying Microsoft Portmon to have a granular look (serial sniffing) at the back and forth serial chatter.

Looks like you have already played with the timing and buffer settings on the serial port and Ti device HS driver eh?

Many years ago here switched over to using Digi USB / Digi Edgeports for my serial port connectivity. Remote stuff used Digi, Lantronix and Quatech.

Still using CM11A's here and have utilized TI103's and currently utilizing Jeff Volp's XTB stuff (X10 on steroids) and CM11a's and TW-523's. (and wireless X10 using two W800's).

Windows 10 is fussy about USB devices; more so than W7 and XP.

Over the years there have been issues relating to cloning USB device firmware in cheaper made hardware.

I ran in to a problem a few years back with cheap ASIX firmware cloned USB to NIC MAC like devices which I purchased for $1 each.

Prices were too good to be true anyways.

Here use X10 for my Christmas lighting and wireless X10 palm pads and those old wall stick ons for some manual HS triggered events.
            Last edited by Pete; November 27, 2016, 12:22 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I replaced the power supply in my pc and I have had no other errors.

The last error I had was Nov 7, 2016, before I replaced power supply.

Thanks Mark and thanks to everyone's input.

Walt

Comment

Great news Walt! Glad the new PS solved your issue.
                Best regards,
                -Mark-

Comment

The problem showed up again today.

Comment

Just to chime in here on this

I just now started getting the same errors. been trying to get upgraded to HS3 pro for weeks now and I have had nothing but problems. And now this, all X10 stuff stopped working. at this point with all the problems I am thinking about just going back to HS2 where I had zero problems. This software and plugins cost way to much money to be having this much problems. I could see years back paying this money for this software, but now a days there are so many new devices and setups that require very little setup and work all the time. I still have not got HS3 to stay up for even one day. I have spent meany hours on fixing and recreating and reloading windows and HS. it is just not worth it any more with the google home and Alexa and the Siri can IFTT Most stuff can be done that really needs to be done and not just nice to have. I really think that I am going to just quit with HS3 and use HS2 for a while and then work on a system with just Apple Home Kit or the Alexa ,google home solution

I think that the Homeseer guys have made a huge mistake by redesigning HS3 and should have just built upgraded HS2 to include all the new stuff. I have been with Homeseer since the beginning but now it is just not cost effective and Should really look at reducing their pricing. If they don't I think they will eventually lose everyone for just the price of this software alone you can buy whole lot of home automation equipment and I'm talking about the new stuff. I don't have the time or the money had this much frustration just to get some motion sensors to turn on some lights. And the price of the plug-ins are outrageous now. My HS2 worked almost I'll hundred percent of the time it was very reliable. I know it's just not me, I see a lot of the same post on issues with HS3. I have never spent this much time to try to get this is all working. Once one problem is fixed it creates an another problem. I guess if you have the money and the time then it's fine. But in today's world there's too many options. My trial of HS3 is just about up. And if I do not have it running by then I will not upgrade. It's easy to say it's a hardware problem. But that's hard to believe when the HS2 works great on the same hardware. As I am typing this I just see where Home seer stop working again. I can't rely on it. It's a shame but that's the way it is so tired of working on this. I even tried it I am brand-new machine same issues. I guess I have a week Taylor trial runs out then it's back to HS2. Sorry to vent so much really come on

Comment

What OS are you running Homeseer 3 on?

Homeseer 3 is totally different than Homeseer 2.

I switched over to Linux with Homeseer 3.

I have not had any issues running X10 with Homeseer 3. That is me though.

The very last X10 Homeseer 2 plugin did have serial communications issues that were documented using PortMon.

The Homeseer 2 X10 plugin did work with these errors and would show up on some computers and not on other computers.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

tfraley1, I understand your frustration with the move. I too was overwhelmed by the differences and had issues during my migration from HS2 to HS3. However now, I can't praise this software enough and I don't have any issues with my expanded system. Look at my sig. My only recommendation is to take it real slow with migrating one thing at a time and take much time given to explore.
                        Make sure the base OS is solid with any required drivers particular to any USB devices you may use. This is a science but not rocket science...

Robert
                        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by tfraley1 View Post
                          I just now started getting the same errors. been trying to get upgraded to HS3 pro for weeks now and I have had nothing but problems. And now this, all X10 stuff stopped working.
                          Sorry that you are having so many issues getting HS3 up and running. Please be sure that you have the latest beta release of the X10 plugin installed: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=185551

Once installed, enable "Developer Mode" on the Manage Plugins page, disable the plugin and re-enable it, this will force the plugin into debug mode (it only checks the Developer Mode setting when it starts).

The recent beta plugin versions have additional logging code to help understand where in your X10 system an issue is occurring; be it noise on the power line, a faulty interface, troublesome RS232 connection, OS configuration problem or a bug in the plugin. Post log snippets with the error info along with any preceeding entries that might be valuable.

Also, please tell us about your system:
                          1. What kind of system are you running HS3 on (PC, R-Pi, etc.)?
                          2. What OS?
                          3. Which X10 interface are you using?
                          4. Is this the same PC that HS2 is/was running on?
                          5. When you moved from your functional HS2 system did anything else in your X10 environment change? Ie; new PC plugged in, moved interface to new outlet, longer/shorter RS232 cable, etc.
                          Best regards,
                          -Mark-

Comment

Working...
                          X