Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PoE Camera H264/ONVIF

Hello all,

From reading around the board, and Homeseer documentation, it appears that the only supported camera brand is Foscam. However, others have other brands working once they magically figure out the proper URL.

I don want to re-invent the wheel, but I also have no desire to work with Foscam. Despite Foscam being around a while, their products are intended towards the low-end market/home use and WIFI. I would like to use commercial grade cameras that are hard-wired & POE into an NVR.

That said, and regardless if they are linked to an NVR, the URL snapshot still needs to work independently in order to work with Homeseer. That's my understanding.

Can someone recommend fixed dome camera w/ POE that has been proven to work well with Homeseer? Some of the brands I'd consider are: Dahua, HikVision, EYESruv, etc.

thanks, and look forward to your thoughts.

I have HikVision POE 3MP Domes hooked to a NVR feeding HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by marco500 View Post
      Hello all,

From reading around the board, and Homeseer documentation, it appears that the only supported camera brand is Foscam. However, others have other brands working once they magically figure out the proper URL.

I don want to re-invent the wheel, but I also have no desire to work with Foscam. Despite Foscam being around a while, their products are intended towards the low-end market/home use and WIFI. I would like to use commercial grade cameras that are hard-wired & POE into an NVR.

That said, and regardless if they are linked to an NVR, the URL snapshot still needs to work independently in order to work with Homeseer. That's my understanding.

Can someone recommend fixed dome camera w/ POE that has been proven to work well with Homeseer? Some of the brands I'd consider are: Dahua, HikVision, EYESruv, etc.

thanks, and look forward to your thoughts.
      (+1) And I'd love to hear how it is setup and integrated as this is very new to me!
      ie: Do cameras trigger motion and events?
      Intergrate with Homeseer and/or DSC alarms?
      Or does it simply display in homeseer?
      HSTouch display?

Comment

Here switched over to Grandstream everything. IE: IP HD cams, Decoder/Encoder, NVR, et al. Works fine for me. It's been a couple of years now.

The cameras are integrated with Zoneminder, HAI Video Hub, Axis Camera servers (well Optex Cams).

I can utilize IP cameras for the motion detection along with Zoneminder. Rather outside the triggers are Optex motion sensors.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I can tell you the HikVisions have a separate input to link in to the security system, but basically it it's a receive only input--meaning if the alarm goes off, the cameras are triggered to start recording. They also have their own motion, tamper, and video loss triggers, which you can configure in-camera to do something. I haven't looked at any of the plugins available for cameras, outside of the HS free plugin, so I don't know what kind of functionality they enable or if they make use of the camera and NVR triggers to cause HS to execute some event. I know when you throw an NVR in the mix, it complicates things a bit because the NVR is now responsible for managing the cameras and its settngs takes precedence over the cameras settings.

Comment

Hikvision Cameras/NVR

Originally posted by wposner View Post
            I have HikVision POE 3MP Domes hooked to a NVR feeding HomeSeer.
            I have a Hikvision NVR at the office hooked up to 8 "generic" ONVIF cameras, and it works great. In retrospect, I wish i would have gotten HikVision cameras to make the install a breeze. Live and learn.

Since I'm starting fresh at home, I think i'll opt for HikVision cameras, although the grandstream suggestion isnt bad.

For your setup, do you have HS3 polling video from the NVR through a URL, or from the camera (perhaps the alternate stream?). Can you elaborate?

thanks

Comment

ONVIF Standard!!
              any movement been made on this?
              I too agree foscam although been around for a while is geared towards the low end market..
              I have over 12 high end 1080p IP POE Cameras, all support the standard ONVIF standard..
              is there anywhere out there, I can find a ONVIF plug in to be able to view the live video through a homeseer hstouch page?
              the cameras I use are
              https://polarisusa.com/product/1937/pip-dm2mp-vf
              They are ONVIF compliant and work with any viewing software that supports that standard...
              Please anyone know of a way to get the video into my HS Touch screens?!

Comment

Integration of security cameras into HS3 is challenging! It is not so difficult to get camera images displayed in HSTouch, but things like motion detection and video recording is better done by dedicated security software. I use HS3 to send me emails when my outdoor motion sensors are tripped. Then I look at my Video surveillance software to check motion videos etc. Also, I have my cameras/software on a different computer than HS3. IP cameras can lockup and stop working; HS3 can not always handle this. You should experiment with one or 2 cameras with HS3.

Pete is the camera expert. He has tons of experience.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I am far from an expert.

I have tinkered with the stuff for many years.

As Steve mentions it is easy to put an image on to a Homeseer touchscreen.

ONVIF compliance is still totally not soup.

I mean it's a bit loosey goosey still.

With the advent of multiple HD IP streaming you are or want some sort of dedicated hardware (firmware) or software on dedicated hardware. Think of a Tivo box on steroids.

While Homeseer can do a lot it is not a security CCTV NVR box.

Consumer level video motion algorithms are still very far from perfect.

They are getting there.

I still utilize analog means here of motion detection sensors (outdoor PIRs and whatever).

Many new cameras today record on an SD card, have analog external trigger and output connections.

Easiest Homeseer 3rd party integration today for Homeseer users is a dedicated Wintel box running Blue Iris.

Note too that you will need lots of CPU / memory to do the job effectively for 12 cameras. IE: like maybe an iSeries 7 and 16 Gb of RAM plus hard drive space.

As Steve mentions try a couple of cameras and see how it works for you.

Here have used Zoneminder for many years. I cannot let go of it. I can do anything with it today. That is though because I am familiar with it. It is or has been a learning experience now for years (over 10).

Purchased a dedicated hardware/firmware NVR and it sits still in the box here.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have been on a camera search. Buying one at a time until I find what I like. The first two I purchased I sent back and I thought I was going to have to spend a lot more money than I had planned. Then a few days ago I received a Microseven M7B37-W. Very very nice and reasonably priced. Waterproof, wireless or wired, wall wort or POE, triple streaming, 1.3 megapixel 960P HD. So far I have only tested it with browsers and their software. I'll start the Zoneminder experiment later today. If it works well with Zoneminder I will be picking up more Microseven hardware.

Comment

@mikalunch,

Nice specifications on the Microseven (good price on Amazon too).

Been running Zoneminder V1.29.0 here. It is doing RTSP much better these days. Cranking on the bit rate now to ~1500 plus.

Have you had a look at zmNinja?

It is a total reconstruction from scratch on a Zoneminder remote viewer - very touch centric and works well in Windows 10.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Your timing is impeccable. I was right in the middle of cursing out Windoze. The half off sale inspired me to get a Touch Designer license so I set up a nice clean Windows 7 installation right from the gold holographic disks, updated it, and then loaded Touch Designer, Touch for Windows, and Speaker Client for Windows. All three start, then lock up and just sit there tying everything up. I tried Zoneminder yesterday and wasn't able to get a good installation on Ubuntu Trusty. I'm on a roll. (Which reminds me, do you know what Ubuntu is? It's an ancient African word that means "can't load Debian".)

But I see that zmninja runs on every platform. I've heard Zoneminder is tricky to configure. I've never used it before. I will check them out.

Comment

Here running HS Touch Designer on a VM. That said I utilize my Ubuntu stuff to do designs these days. Running HSTouch / Speaker on embedded XP. For the HSPro box running on Ubuntu run a Wintel VM for just speaker / SAPI stuff.

I followed the following for 2nd Zoneminder box. First one was just upgraded.

Ubuntu Server 14.04 64-bit with Zoneminder 1.29.0 the easy way

I have not had issues with installing zmNinja. Really it is just the IP and directory configuration for the API / CGI stuff.

Linux zmNinja is a build from scratch, then running it in Apache. All of the other OS's is just running it.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                            Integration of security cameras into HS3 is challenging! It is not so difficult to get camera images displayed in HSTouch, but things like motion detection and video recording is better done by dedicated security software. I use HS3 to send me emails when my outdoor motion sensors are tripped. Then I look at my Video surveillance software to check motion videos etc. Also, I have my cameras/software on a different computer than HS3. IP cameras can lockup and stop working; HS3 can not always handle this. You should experiment with one or 2 cameras with HS3.

Pete is the camera expert. He has tons of experience.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let me Elaborate... a little..
                            So I really don't want any kind of actions done via homeseer...
                            it would be nice.. BUT primarily, I just want the ability to create a HSTOUCH screen with a live stream from one of my cameras...
                            I don't want it to record, it, act on it, nothing...
                            again perhaps a wish for later on, to be able to act on an event, when motion is detected would be awesome.. BUT ill take on a little wish of Just being able to create a window in a HSTOUCH design, and stream LIVE video from a camera...

Thanks
                            Fred

Comment

Originally posted by thetaz01 View Post
                              Let me Elaborate... a little..
                              So I really don't want any kind of actions done via homeseer...
                              it would be nice.. BUT primarily, I just want the ability to create a HSTOUCH screen with a live stream from one of my cameras...
                              I don't want it to record, it, act on it, nothing...
                              again perhaps a wish for later on, to be able to act on an event, when motion is detected would be awesome.. BUT ill take on a little wish of Just being able to create a window in a HSTOUCH design, and stream LIVE video from a camera...

Thanks
                              Fred
                              Fred,

I started this thread with the hopes that the HS team would consider something more mainstream than Foscam. ONVIF would be the best, and I'm sure there are plenty of ONVIF libraries available for Android and other OS's for them to integrate the protocol. An alternative would be RPT stream as well. That being said, I'm not holding my breath since I don't see a lot of energy being focused towards improving the HSTouch platform--and hope to be wrong.

My somewhat OK solution has been to use the snapshot URL from my security DVR as a video URL stream within HSTouch. It works, not as smoothly as true ONVIF or RPT, but it works. My only drawback is that is near real-time. It skips a few frames and it's not as high in resolution as the actual stream (limitation on my DVR's snapshot feature), but that's something I have to live with and I've come to terms.

Hope that helps.
                              Marco

Comment

Working...
                              X