GoControl Irrigation setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoControl Irrigation setup?

Hi all! Looks like the new gocontrol WI15V-1 control now works with HomeSeer. However it isn't totally clear how to use it. It says it is supposed to be loaded or programmed with a schedule. However HomeSeer just makes it as a device with different options being how long to run each station for. Is the correct way to use it to create an event and just script each station as an action, I.e

Event run irrigation every day at 7am
    Use device, station 1 run 5 min
    Use device, station 2 run 10 min
    End event

It appears that you use the device by setting the device state. When I tested with my irrigation system if you said valve 1 run 5 minutes and then changed it to valve 2 5 minutes it would immediately stop valve 1 and run valve 2. thus if you are setting a complete schedule you need to program in the delays yourself before triggering the next station. Thus for my yard I default them to always run for 60 minutes but then adjust the real length of time by the amount of wait time.

Comment

How do I set "Recurrence Offset" (bits 4-8 of the 6th word) and "Recurrence Mode" (bit 5 of the 7th word) in the SCHEDULE_SET command?

Comment

Rain Sensor

Has anyone hooked up a rain sensor to the GoControl Irrigation controller. I have it working with HS3 but when I hook up the rain sensor and run the a zone, the light flashes Red/Green signifying a wet or bypassed sensor. The sensor worked fine on my previous irrigation control (not zwave). The instructions for the Go Control says that the zwave hub (HS3 in my case) must recognize the rain sensor feature. Is this a limitation of the HS3 implementation? Will this be enhanced by Homeseer?

Thanks

Comment

Rain Sensor in GoControl Irrigation

You need to have the sensor 'valid' and know the polarity. Typically the polarity is 0 (switch closed) when it has water. These are set in the last byte of the Irrigation System Config Set command.

It also needs to be told which valves should recognize this sensor. If you have and zones that are covered (e.g. hanging plants) you will have it ignore the rain sensor. This is in the last byte of the Irrigation Valve Config Set command. Bit 0 is the Rain Sensor. Bit 1 is the Moisture Sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by SprinklerZ View Post
            You need to have the sensor 'valid' and know the polarity. Typically the polarity is 0 (switch closed) when it has water. These are set in the last byte of the Irrigation System Config Set command.

It also needs to be told which valves should recognize this sensor. If you have and zones that are covered (e.g. hanging plants) you will have it ignore the rain sensor. This is in the last byte of the Irrigation Valve Config Set command. Bit 0 is the Rain Sensor. Bit 1 is the Moisture Sensor.
            Can you tell me where this is documented? The four page instructions I received with the unit mention parameters 2, 12, and 13, and that is all. Nortek/GoControl's website is no help either. FCC documents have the same useless instructions I received.
            Thanks!

Comment

I'm curious if anyone has set one of these up to run a pump? online documentation is a bit light. Does pump control show up as separate z-wave controller in HS?

Comment

Looks like the device is not even z-wave certified yet: http://products.z-wavealliance.org/r...es/12/products ... Looks to have great potential if HS supported all of the features like uploading a schedule and if GoControl did a much better job of documenting it.

Cheers
                Al
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by grahamk View Post
                  I'm curious if anyone has set one of these up to run a pump? online documentation is a bit light. Does pump control show up as separate z-wave controller in HS?
                  So the answer is "no", there does not appear to be a separate zwave activated pump control. I figure it will automatically activate the pump circuit when a valve turns on. We will see - still too cold around these parts to bring up the system. That is too bad because with my X10 system I would often use home automation to turn on my pump for other uses than running an irrigation valve. I suppose I could turn on valve 15(?). ;-)

What I do not see, which I want is just a simple valve on/off without a time associated with it. I suppose that hitting "off" cancels whatever is open and turns it off - so a "valve X on 60 minutes" followed by a wait and "off" would basically work the same as on and off(?).

Comment

Possible Valve Time Work Around for the WI15Z-1

grahamk,

After looking at my unit there is a separate connection for a pump control. I would assume that it turns on the pump (logical) before any of the other valves do.

As far as a way to finally control this irrigation controller as far as the valve times (other than the pull down), I think you have found a way to do that. I attached a copy of an sample event that may just work based on what you said with the wait command!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I am just going by the Z-Wave commands. I haven't updated my hub to accept the GoControl irrigation controller. I am just using Z-Wave commands from a USB 'stick'. It's great if you live for hex values!

Comment

Originally posted by grahamk View Post
                        So the answer is "no", there does not appear to be a separate zwave activated pump control. I figure it will automatically activate the pump circuit when a valve turns on. We will see - still too cold around these parts to bring up the system. That is too bad because with my X10 system I would often use home automation to turn on my pump for other uses than running an irrigation valve. I suppose I could turn on valve 15(?). ;-)

What I do not see, which I want is just a simple valve on/off without a time associated with it. I suppose that hitting "off" cancels whatever is open and turns it off - so a "valve X on 60 minutes" followed by a wait and "off" would basically work the same as on and off(?).
                        You can run a relay to the Master Valve connections. I would recommend one with a 12V DC coil.
                        I think the default is that the Master Valve turns on about 3 seconds before the first zone valve.

Comment

Did you receive the instruction on how to change the polarity of the rain sensor?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by marcpilou View Post
                            Did you receive the instruction on how to change the polarity of the rain sensor?

thanks
                            No, after about 5 back and forth emails with support I gave up.

Comment

I finally got around to actually testing the rain sensor connection. Out of the box, a sensor that is normally open (contact closes during rain and shorts the sensor terminals during rain) will work without programming. My Toro 53769 can support both and happened to be setup in that mode for the Toro ECx controller. This ran sensor is available on Amazon.

If your rain sensor is normally closed you can put the sensor in line with the common wire and the valves won't run when it has rained as the sensor will be open.

The sensor status is only shown when a valve is actually set to run. If the rain sensor is closed the LED will flash RED/GREEN while the value is requested to be on, but the valve won't operate.

It's a shame HomeSeer sells this device in the store but doesn't support it properly. Hope this helps someone else. I only use it for grass watering so more granular programmatic control per-zone isn't needed for me. It is frustrating to watch a supposed "smart" controller watering when it's raining.
                              At least that's over with now.

Comment

Working...
                              X