Stopping Windows 10 Pro automatic restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping Windows 10 Pro automatic restart

Has anyone been able to permanently stop the automatic reboot on Windows 10 Pro after updates?

If so, how were you were able stop this annoying process?

These random reboots after updates are wreaking havoc with HS3 and other programs that I have running.

Originally posted by scotchskip View Post
    Has anyone been able to permanently stop the automatic reboot on Windows 10 Pro after updates?

These random reboots after updates are wreaking havoc with HS3 and other programs that I have running.
    I don't have an answer to this, but I'd really like to hear what people have to say. I really hate Windows...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I am so irritated with this issue of Microsoft forcing updates and reboots on users!

Every time this PC crashes for a reboot it wreaks havoc with my events. HS3 not being shut down properly is causing my events in the database to default back to the last date and status of a successful shutdown.

Beyond frustrated! I have been researching other options for an OS.

Comment

I am so irritated with this issue of Microsoft forcing updates and reboots on users!

Every time this PC crashes for a reboot it wreaks havoc with my events. HS3 not being shut down properly is causing my events in the database to default back to the last date and status of a successful shutdown.

I started with hs3 on Ubuntu, and it was terrific. The only downfall was the issue with plugins not being compatible with Linux, which is what convinced me to move to Windows

Comment

Would this help; http://www.rizonesoft.com/downloads/...update-switch/

Comment

You can use Group Policy to do this on Windows 10 Pro. See this page for details:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/30851...0-updates.html

Comment

I just stopped the update service.

Now I decide when it updates. (When I start the service.)

I think it was somewhere on this forum I read about it. :-)

Regards
              Morten

Comment

While I don't disagree with the frustration, consideration also needs to be given to two points: you are using a desktop version of Windows, not a server version, and HomeSeer should deal with this more gracefully.

tenholde
                tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by mhn View Post
                  I just stopped the update service.

Now I decide when it updates. (When I start the service.)

I think it was somewhere on this forum I read about it. :-)

Regards
                  Morten
                  Did you just set the "Windows Update" service to disabled?

Comment

The reboots are a result of updates being downloaded. If you stop the updates from downloading you can stop the reboots. Microsoft won't download updates over a metered connection.

See this link for a way to set Ethernet to metered. http://www.windowscentral.com/how-se...red-windows-10

The only drawback I found to this so far was when I tried to add a Bluetooth device to my setup. The setup said "Setup unable to complete due to a metered connection." but the pairing worked just fine.

Also, with this setting, you have to manually check for and download updates. I have a routine maintenance window when I bring HS down, check for and download updates and then restart to apply the updates. The restart will also restart HS at which point I do a quick system check just to make sure nothing got muffed.

Hope this helps,
                    Ken
                    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by jon102034050 View Post
                      Did you just set the "Windows Update" service to disabled?
                      Stop and disable.

Then I enable, start and check for updates when I am ready for it.

Comment

Stop and disable.

Right on thx

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                          The reboots are a result of updates being downloaded. If you stop the updates from downloading you can stop the reboots. Microsoft won't download updates over a metered connection.

See this link for a way to set Ethernet to metered. http://www.windowscentral.com/how-se...red-windows-10

The only drawback I found to this so far was when I tried to add a Bluetooth device to my setup. The setup said "Setup unable to complete due to a metered connection." but the pairing worked just fine.

Also, with this setting, you have to manually check for and download updates. I have a routine maintenance window when I bring HS down, check for and download updates and then restart to apply the updates. The restart will also restart HS at which point I do a quick system check just to make sure nothing got muffed.

Hope this helps,
                          Ken
                          I can say this method works 100%. I used a Windows 10 Virtual Machine as a Minecraft server for the kids. As we use Pocket Edition (Android / Windows 10), there is no SERVER itself (headless game engine). So I run the Vm with WIndows 10. I performed the above linked method and I was able to STOP logging into Win10 every day to restart the video game.

FYI, used to use an Android X86 VM, worked great until the 0.15 update - whatever they did to the video stuff, the game stopped working on the X86 targets (Virtual Machine or Full up install on a PC - I tested both).

--Dan

As a side, I find using Android X86 great for little mini purpose built servers. They are really light on resources and have a greater compatibility to today's software than my old Win2000 VMS I run (still run one for RSYNC as well as interfacing to my Ximeta hard drives...the driver is not compatible with anything newer than XP and I only have Win2k licenses). Anyway, running various software I translate my Zmodo cameras to "HSTouch" weblinks, I also used to run a Minecraft server, as well as using Ultimate Servers - just about anything else I could want with rather EASY quick setup and configuration. NOTE: security wise, I have everything behind my VPN - so I'm not as worried about security of these Android servers as I probably would need to be in today's world.
                          Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Stop and disable.

I just disabled auto update service so I will see what happens next.

Trying the metered connection solution will be next if this does not work.

I have tried several other fixes in gpedit and regedit with no success.

Comment

In Microsoft's defense, this is something that HomeSeer needs to fix. It's a great idea that Microsoft forces users to keep their operating system up to date with all the patches and security updates. HomeSeer is the one that needs to come up with a way to start the application as a service, and have it respond gracefully to service shutdown requests by the operating system. We shouldn't have to come up with unsupported ways to stop Windows updates or to start HomeSeer automatically after a reboot.

Comment

Working...
                              X