This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell phone w/HS?

I was wondering, since I have no land line in my home, is it possible to use a cell phone with HS?
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

I know there are several docking stations that can be used with cell phones to allow use of your regular phones with cell service. I don't have a clue what that would send to the modem or if it would be useable by HSP. This article might interest you.
    http://solution.allthingsd.com/20060...ellphone-home/
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

This is an interesting subject since many people are abandoning land lines and replacing this service with cell service.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

you know, it's funny, the only reason we got a land line was for the monitored security system. sinc we had the land line, i got hooked on HSPhone. since then i realize how vulnerable that land line is to being cut, and wish I could just install a cellular module, but then I'm still hooked on HSPhone.
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I must be old fashioned, or maybe just old. I would rather give up my cell phone anyday. I use my blackberry for email, occasionally for web access and GPS, maybe it is my way of expressing my retirement independence. I only turn my cell on when I am not home so HS (susi) can email me to tell me the gate closed behind me and if there are any anomalies at the house when I am not home (my animals have been known to throw wild parties ) and yes, I like HSPhone and the ability to be able to automatically hangup on telemarketers after a nasty computer generated message
          Over The Hill
          What Hill?
          Where?
          When?
          I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Yeah, you have to be real careful about making that switch. Aside from the cell coverage issue, having an alarm panel or satellite TV with modems might have you locked into keeping your landline.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Alarm panels can use cell service and some are starting to allow internet reporting. Satellite services are toying with or have already started to allow internet updating as well. That just leaves the crappy cell coverage to deal with. I know for me i have to go out back and stand next to the trash cans to get any service. I spend so much time there I have a shelf and a white-board as a makeshift desk.
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
              Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I have good coverage at my house, and no sat. tv (just rabbit ears). The internet is what provides my "land line" so if a bad guy cuts my line, i lose internet and phone. that's what I would like about cell phone. only problem is I like having HSPhone.
                Plugins:
                BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I would like to have all the advantages that HS phones has, but Aim not willing to install a line just for seeing it work. We all have cell phones in my house so its much of a advantage of having my cell connected to HS.I think the people at HS should take a look at this issue, this could make money for them.
                  Hector
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Maybe a bluetooth could be connected to HS and all calls can be recieved by HS that way.
                    Hector
                    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

on most cell phone plans, it's only $9.99 to add a line to a family plan, and most of those have free mobile-to-mobile or circle of friends type deals where you could call a HS-dedicated cell line for free from your mobile, and the $9.99 a month fee would be less than the cost of a landline.

Comment

Try MagicJack.com

I've had it for a while without issues.

It's like Vonage, $40 for the first year (yes, year), $20 a year after that for unlimited local and long distance. Though I don't know if it is available in PR.

~Bill

Comment

Bill,
                          I love magic jack. it's still internet based, though, so if a bad guy cuts the line to my cable modem, Alfred has no way of letting me know.

Ian
                          Plugins:

Comment

Go with one of the satellite internet co's if the bad guy tries to get to your dish and accidently gets his head in front of the feedhorn his brain will get microwaved.

Cell service is lousey, usually so much noise you can't hear the other party and expensive. my landline/DSL is cheap compared to the wife and I's cell and we don't use them except in a emergency. I too get lousey reception in the house and sorry but no one is important enough for me to have to go stand outside to talk to them
                            Over The Hill
                            What Hill?
                            Where?
                            When?
                            I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

and your geese will peck they eyes out of anyone who tries to cut your phone line!
                              Plugins:

Comment

Working...
                              X