Converting from ECM1240 to GEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting from ECM1240 to GEM

I am in the process of moving from an ECM1240 to a GEM.
    I am using the same serial connection, but with the recommended faster BAUD rate.
    The plug-in says it is connected, but I am seeing no database inserts and am getting a repeating error in the log:
    Warning Brultech ECM packet does not contain a valid checksum.

I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting. Everything seems to work, but the error resumes on re-connection. Similarly, if I disable and re-enable the plug-in, the plug-in appears to start normally, but the error messages immediately begin again. What additional information would be useful for troubleshooting?
    Last edited by Uncle Michael; January 24, 2017, 01:35 PM.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

I tried changing the BAUD rate back to 19200.
    The checksum errors are no longer present, but the watchdog timer reports no response and repeatedly tries to reconnect. Still no database inserts.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      I tried changing the BAUD rate back to 19200.
      The checksum errors are no longer present, but the watchdog timer reports no response and repeatedly tries to reconnect. Still no database inserts.
      Do you have your ECM-1240 set to binary packet format?
      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

My ECM1240 is no longer connected. I do not recall changing the format, but that was years ago. What would I have needed to do to set binary packet format?

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
          Do you have your ECM-1240 set to binary packet format?
          I've done some digging, both in the documentation I have and my memory, the latter being the more suspect. As far as I can recall, the ECM1240 has all default settings. I did not make any changes to it when switching to the v2 plug-in and away from the Brultech EngineG software, which I believe uses binary packet format. When converting to the v3 plug-in, I simply moved the serial connection to my HS3 computer and connected without issue.

Does that help?

Comment

As a test, I disconnected the GEM and reconnected the serial cable to the ECM1240. When I restarted the plug-in, the HS log indicates the connection was made, immediately followed by an error that the connection could not be made. Once I created the new ECM device, however, database inserts began and the HS 'Main Panel' devices created for the GEM are populating with data. Restarting the plug-in yielded a re-connection with no errors in the log and what appears to be normal data logging. I conclude that whatever is causing the data problem from the GEM must be related to that device.

Is there more information that I can provide?
            Suggestions for next actions?

Comment

I am a bit confused. Are you trying to get your ECM-1240 working or a new GEM?
              Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I am a bit confused. Are you trying to get your ECM-1240 working or a new GEM?
                I'd like to get the GEM working, but was hoping you or another user had some pointers on what would be the most profitable next step. I've also contacted Brultech, but haven't heard back from them.

My plan, assuming I do not get alternative advice, is to try deleting and reinstalling the plug-in, then start fresh with the GEM to see if that resolves the problem. If I still cannot get the GEM to work with the plugin, since it works for others, I would assume it is not working properly and my next step would be to request a replacement from Brultech.

Comment

Log into your GEM, then make sure you have set the packet type to 5. Please let me know if it's still not working after you confirm that.

The next version of the plugin will require Bin-48-NET-Time (Packet Format #4).

Regards,
                  Ultrajones
                  Last edited by Ultrajones; January 29, 2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

The next version of the plug-in is ready for testing. I hope to post it later today.

Regards,
                    Ultrajones

Comment

Log into your GEM, then make sure you have set the packet type to 5. Please let me know if it's still not working after you confirm that.
                      The next version of the plugin will require Bin-48-NET-Time (Packet Format #4).
                      That was it.
                      Ironically, it was set to #4.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Saved me some time ...and frustration.

Comment

Another question

Since this exercise focused my attention on the GEM setup, I noticed the tab on Channel CT selection. Is it necessary/useful to enter the CT types there for proper interpretation by your plug-in?

Added:
                        Based on some simple testing, I'd say that it is essential to be sure the correct CT type is specified for each channel. The plug-in docs are a bit ambiguous on this, though, in retrospect it seems pretty obvious. Still, it might not hurt to include a statement in the guide for those of us who do not find the technology totally intuitive.
                        Last edited by Uncle Michael; January 30, 2017, 03:35 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
                        X