Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aeon labs smart powerstrip - Working!

Hello,

Just added the Aeon labs smart powerstrip to the Z-Wave and I only see power metering for four outlets. Should I see all 6 oultes power consumption, 4 switched and 2 non-switched?

Also I've noticed that power consumption is showing even if the plug is off, does the issue still exists as per posts?
    Last edited by marekd1; January 19, 2015, 05:12 PM.

Power Strip

I'm interested in adding one of these please share how it performs

Comment

I don't know anything about the powerstrip, but I was looking at the info about it because it sounded pretty interesting.

On the product details page here... http://store.homeseer.com/store/Aeon...P1817C208.aspx

It says: 4 of the 6 plugs are individually Z-Wave controllable.

I'm guessing that means that you only get power data for those 4 plugs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BrettS View Post
        I don't know anything about the powerstrip, but I was looking at the info about it because it sounded pretty interesting.

On the product details page here... http://store.homeseer.com/store/Aeon...P1817C208.aspx

It says: 4 of the 6 plugs are individually Z-Wave controllable.

I'm guessing that means that you only get power data for those 4 plugs as well.
        That is correct. 4 are switched (with power readings), 2 are constantly hot. In my case I have an earlier production run that apparently has a problem where only 2 of the 4 switched outlets will read power (although all 4 are controllable). Kind of stinks when you pay this much $$ and get a crappy product.
        Mike

Comment

I just got mine and it does work well when it comes to switching part. Based on what I found so far it should display power usage on all plugs but waiting for confirmation from Aeon. I do see 4 power meters but strangely enough occasionally I see power consumption without device plugged into it. And it is not in 1 or 2 W but 100's. I am going to switch to another one and see if the same persists.

I also think the HS3 ZWave plugin does not really support it properly yet. The only way I could get the meters to work was after I switched to the latest Beta of HS3 ZWave plugin. By properly I mean it shows usage. I did not verify the consumption value the issue with nothing plugged into it and power consumption showing still presists.

I will report what Aeon tells me when I get the response.

Comment

That is an interesting product....

From the HS3 store page:
            Comments / Notes:
            The energy reporting does not properly work with HS3.

Comment

Anyone know whether or not each of the 4 switched outlets can participate directly in z-wave scenes? I ask because I have half a dozen of a single outlet aeon switch (http://store.homeseer.com/store/Aeon...itch-P986.aspx), and I didn't find out until after I bought them that they don't directly participate in z-wave scenes. Instead, HS3 has to intermediate so as to approximate that outcome. In contrast, many (most?) other z-wave appliance modules do participate directly in z-wave scenes, and so there's no obvious rhyme or reason as to why some do and some don't.

My young son is setting up an acquarium, and we were thinking that this bank of 4 aeon switched outlets might be a simple ("no thinking required") fit for controlling it (lights, recirc pump, supplmental aerator, and maybe an automatic fish feeder) in a single compact form.
              Last edited by NeverDie; January 23, 2015, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
                other z-wave appliance modules do participate directly in z-wave scenes, and so there's no obvious rhyme or reason as to why some do and some don't.
                If a device will participate or not with direct scenes is based on whether the device includes the z-wave "scene class". This is a specification in the z-wave standard.

I don't see in aeon's spec sheet where they say either way, but usually they list it as a feature if it DOES support the scene class, so I would venture a guess it does not.

I've had mixed results utilizing the scene class, and overall, i've gone back to having everything controlled by HS3 with even scene controllers just triggering events with HS3 instead of having the scene controllers directly control devices. I had tons of issues with things getting out of sync with HS3 using direct scene control, even when those devices purported instant status.

Comment

Originally posted by ORNVM View Post
                  I've had mixed results utilizing the scene class, and overall, i've gone back to having everything controlled by HS3 with even scene controllers just triggering events with HS3 instead of having the scene controllers directly control devices.
                  same here
                  Tom
                  baby steps...starting again with HS3
                  HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                  HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                  Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                  In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                  System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

That is an interesting product....

From the HS3 store page:
                    Hopefully the HS3 support will be fixed. I got one to work (somewhat) the other power strip does not report anything.

Comment

Originally posted by marekd1 View Post
                      Hopefully the HS3 support will be fixed. I got one to work (somewhat) the other power strip does not report anything.
                      I saw on another forum where the issue is really something that aeon needs to fix, but since the firmware in these isn't field up-gradable it isn't likely. Aeon of course is saying that the controller folks can just implement a work around and it isn't their problem.

Other threads indicated that the power meter statistics don't correlate to the switches. ie: meter 2 is actually power consumption for switch 1, etc. that could explain some of the weird readings people have reported.

Comment

I saw on another forum where the issue is really something that aeon needs to fix, but since the firmware in these isn't field up-gradable it isn't likely. Aeon of course is saying that the controller folks can just implement a work around and it isn't their problem.
                        Yeah I saw that too, but I think it is hogwash. There are no doubt firmware issues, but if I load this guy up in HS2, it reads power and accumulated power just fine.

In HS3, I can control switches.
                        I get *NO* power readings.
                        I don't even get devices for accumulated power.
                        I don't get control of the whole strip (ON/OFF), only the 4 outlets.

So firmware or not, this is just like Aeon's power meter: it works in HS2, and is nearly completely broken in HS3. That sounds like code to me...

hjk
                        ---

Comment

Are there any plans to resolve this issue with functonality with in the HS3?

Comment

Fixed!

Rich took another look at the smart strip today and put some fixes in. In a nutshell, this is how it works now:

Switchable outlets 1-2-3-4 are controllable
                            Switchable outlets watts and kWH values now track correctly
                            Non-switchable outlets also report watts and kWH now too.

The changes are in beta but will be released with the next Z-Wave plug-in.

Here's my setup. Note that nothing is running right now, but you get the idea.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by macromark; September 29, 2015, 10:12 PM.
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                              Rich took another look at the smart strip today and put some fixes in. In a nutshell, this is how it works now:

Switchable outlets 1-2-3-4 are controllable
                              Switchable outlets watts and kWH values now track correctly
                              Non-switchable outlets also report watts and kWH now too.

The changes are in beta but will be released with the next Z-Wave plug-in.

Here's my setup. Note that nothing is running right now, but you get the idea.
                              Awesome news!

Comment

Working...
                              X