Neighborly X10 Signals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighborly X10 Signals?

I'd like to introduce X10 and Homeseer to my next door neighbor. But then again, I see that our utility power comes off of the same transformer.

This would seem to be a disaster in the making, but I don't recall seeing threads here in the past about "neighborly X10" signals?

Has anybody had to deal with this? Seems plain as day that his X10 sigs would propagate to my house very easily, but maybe I am overlooking something?

Shawn

I put in a blocking coupler (Leviton) for almost this reason... I had noise coming in from the neighbours'

The blocking coupler prevents X10 signals from leaving your breaker panel, and also prevents signals from your place leaving.

Alternatively, you could always split housecodes between you, if you trust your neighbour and vice versa.

Comment

Outstanding solution, thanks firtha. I didn't know such a thing existed.

I had considered splitting house codes, since I do trust the guy, but my arrangement is such it would be painful to do.

Much appreciated!

Shawn

Comment

Another idea is to get the neighbor to go z-wave. If he's starting from scratch, it's a newer technology and won't interfere.
        My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Interesting to mention the term neighbourly X-10. My business partner was able to send across his pole transformer to a neighbours house across the street. She's a technologically challenged sort and came to us for tips on making the home look lived in while she was away. We had already installed security and some other goodies in her house but she wasn't sure that she was up to the challenge of X10.(?) Sticking a few modules around her house on another house code allowed my partners controller to handle her house as well. A neat way for X10 to allow you to be more neighbourly.

Comment

Kevin,
            That's incredible since there are literally hundreds of thread on this BB where users can not even control a lamp module on the opposite side of their house let alone a neighbors modules.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp;

We thought the same thing. When my old partner approached me with the idea I told him he was nuts. It seems absolutely ridiculous to expect the signal to travel that far. In fact I had to drive over there to see it for myself and sure enough, it was working perfectly. She was away for a few weeks and it never once missed a beat. I have a 1000sq/ft house and it took me several years to get things settled down enough that I could get signals from the 2nd floor to the basement. Astonishing!

Comment

Working...
              X