This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3: Enabling X-10 commands

I had posted this in the General Insteon section but have posted it here as I believe there is a setting in the plug in that I am missing. I have been working on controlling my X10 devices with the hub via the plug in and have not been able to make any progress. I have the hub setup and controlling a few insteon dual band plug in dimmers. When I setup the X10 plug in I am not sure what comm port to program in. It is my understanding that the hub will send out the X10 commands so a CM11 transmitter is not required. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Last edited by mnsandler; December 26, 2013, 11:25 PM.

Originally posted by The Doge View Post
    I had posted this in the General Insteon section but have posted it here as I believe there is a setting in the plug in that I am missing. I have been working on controlling my X10 devices with the hub via the plug in and have not been able to make any progress. I have the hub setup and controlling a few insteon dual band plug in dimmers. When I setup the X10 plug in I am not sure what comm port to program in. It is my understanding that the hub will send out the X10 commands so a CM11 transmitter is not required. Any assistance would be appreciated.
    the insteon plugin supports basic x10 control by itself.

here are the instructions for creating x10 devices that the insteon plugin can control:

X10 User Instructions:

You must create the hs devices on the hs device management page using the Add Device button. Enter the Code (eg A1) only, don't bother with the Address field or the Device Type field, that will be populated as "Insteon X10".

You will see an extra tab labeled Insteon.

There are three options on the Insteon tab:
    1. Supports Dimming (as opposed to just on & off). this will add a slider to the hs device for dimming control.
    2. Support Preset Dimming (typically Smarthome x10 devices)
    3. Supports Status Requests (typically 2-way devices)

select the appropriate ones per the physical x10 device.

Click the "Save as Insteon X10" button to save the device as an X10 device that will be controlled by the Insteon Plugin.

you may edit these values later and use the Done button on Insteon tab

If for some reason, you already created a bunch of x10 devices, you may use the "Update X10 Devices" on the plugin config page to assign any hs device that have a valid x10 code to the plugin. Then use the device management page to configure the device.

Enjoy!
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I set up an X10 device using the above procedure and still cannot control it. I have the info below in the error log. As a test I am sending a command to this X10 switch with the Insteon android app via my phone and am able to turn it on and off so I know the hardware side is working ok.

12/21/2013 10:32:16 PM - CAPIControl: Label=Off, Value=0, ControlType=Button
      12/21/2013 10:32:17 PM - ***:Error in SetMultiIO: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'X10SettingsClass'. -- Details System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'X10SettingsClass'.
      at HSPI_Insteon.HSPI.SetIOMulti(List`1 colSend)
      12/21/2013 10:32:17 PM - CAPIControl: Label=Off, Value=0, ControlType=Button
      12/21/2013 10:32:17 PM - ***:Error in SetMultiIO: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'X10SettingsClass'. -- Details System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'X10SettingsClass'.
      12/21/2013 10:32:18 PM - CAPIControl: Label=On, Value=100, ControlType=Button
      12/21/2013 10:32:18 PM - ***:Error in SetMultiIO: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'X10SettingsClass'. -- Details System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'X10SettingsClass'.

Comment

I set up an X10 device using the above procedure and still cannot control it. I have the info below in the error log. As a test I am sending a command to this X10 switch with the Insteon android app via my phone and am able to turn it on and off so I know the hardware side is working ok.

12/21/2013 10:32:16 PM - CAPIControl: Label=Off, Value=0, ControlType=Button
        12/21/2013 10:32:17 PM - CAPIControl: Label=Off, Value=0, ControlType=Button
        12/21/2013 10:32:18 PM - CAPIControl: Label=On, Value=100, ControlType=Button
        12/21/2013 10:32:18 PM - ***:Error in SetMultiIO: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'X10SettingsClass'. -- Details System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'X10SettingsClass'.
        were these newly created x10 devices?

if not please delete and recreate. Otherwise edit the device from the dev mgmt page and go to the Insteon tab and change some of the settings and click Done. then change them back to whatever you need and click Done again.

this should reset the X10SettingsClass object.

then try to control the device again
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I tried the changing a setting in the Insteon tab and then back as suggested above. I still cannot control the module but the error message has changed. Below is the error log that has the message before I made the change and after. I have only a few devices configured so far. Should I just uninstall and reinstall the HS3 software? Also, the X10 plug defaults to comm 1, and gives the error message in the plug in status that it cannot communicate to the CM11A. Is this normal?

Dec-22 10:42:52 AM Device Control Device: 1st floor Unknown China cabinet to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
          Dec-22 10:42:51 AM Insteon ** To request help with this problem please post this log file to the forum along with a detailed description of what lead to this problem.
          Dec-22 10:42:51 AM Insteon ** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log
          Dec-22 10:42:51 AM Device Control Device: 1st floor Unknown China cabinet to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
          Dec-22 10:42:35 AM Insteon ** To request help with this problem please post this log file to the forum along with a detailed description of what lead to this problem.
          Dec-22 10:42:35 AM Insteon ** An error occurred in this plug-in. The details have been written to the log file - C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Config\Insteon Error Report.Log
          Dec-22 10:42:35 AM Device Control Device: 1st floor Unknown China cabinet to On (100) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
          Dec-22 10:41:06 AM Insteon Error, an error log file could not be written: System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError() at System.IO.FileInfo.MoveTo(String destFileName) at Insteon.Support.Utilities.LogManager.ReportError(String Msg)

Comment

Enabling X-10 commands

You are confusing me with your comments about the cm11a. I don't support this. It requires a different plugin.

The plm or hub will send x10 cmds from my plugin nothing else.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I was following the instructions below per your guide. I will remove the X10 plug in to see if that work. Is there a different guide that I am missing for using the plug in with the hub?
              Dan

4. Restart hs and goto the HS setup/interface page:
              Enable the IO Interface and set the com port.
              If you use X10, enable that interface as well. Make sure the port number does not change if you enable the X10 Interface

Comment

Enabling X-10 commands

If you have the cm11a I would suggest using the appropriate plugin and config your x10 devices on that plugin. I think you will be happier with they approach
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I will uninstall everything and start from scratch. Just a suggestion. I have been in the commercial security business for over 30 years and have often deal with engineers and programmers who know their equipment and code so well that they assume that the end users know it as well as they do. It might be helpful to have someone who is a novice install the software and setup some devices in front of you and come up with a manual based on this. In installing the plug in manually you say to copy the .dll's in the HS directory but you do not reference if we are to do anything with the HSPI_Insteon application file. A good quick manual will probably save you a bunch of time messing around with post like mine.
                  Thanks
                  Dan

Comment

I uninstalled HS3 and started from scratch with the same results. I really want to be able to utilize the ability to send X10 commands via the HUB as this is one of the main reasons I purchased this plug in. Is anyone else able to send X10 controls from the hub using this plug in? Below is the portion of the error log when I try to send an X10 command. It appears to be the same as previously.

12/22/2013 3:24:17 PM - CAPIControl: Label=On, Value=100, ControlType=Button
                    12/22/2013 3:24:17 PM - ***:Error in SetMultiIO: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'X10SettingsClass'. -- Details System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'X10SettingsClass'.

Comment

Do I understand correctly that you are trying to use the CM11 plug-in with the Insteon plug-in and the Insteon hub, but with no CM11?

If you have no CM11, then get rid of the CM11 plug-in. I haven't tried HS3 for a while, but on HS2, you go to the setup interfaces page and find Insteon. There are several columns. Two of them are X10 and OTHER. If it says disabled in the X10 column, click it to change it to enabled and then click save.

Comment

Two of them are X10 and OTHER. If it says disabled in the X10 column, click it to change it to enabled and then click save.
                        HS2 has these columns but HS3 does not.
                        Originally I had thought that I had to have the CM11A plug in installed but found out that I did not. I removed it and that did not help. I uninstalled HS3 and reinstalled with just the Insteon plug in and I still cannot make the X10 work.
                        Thanks
                        Dan
                        Last edited by The Doge; December 22, 2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

HS2 has these columns but HS3 does not.
                          Originally I had thought that I had to have the CM11A plug in installed but found out that I did not. I removed it and that did not help. I uninstalled HS3 and reinstalled with just the Insteon plug in and I still cannot make the X10 work.
                          Thanks
                          Dan
                          please try 3.0.3.13 that i posted

i would suggest deleting the existing x10 device and recreating
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks for taking care of this. The X10 commands now work but I have noticed the "off" command takes from 15 to 30 seconds to turn off the device while the "on" command works immediately. Also, I am getting a dos window that has the below text that I did not get before the latest upgrade.

Plugin: Insteon Instance: starting...
                            Connecting to server at 127.0.0.1...
                            Connected, waiting to be initialized...

Dan

Comment

Thanks for taking care of this. The X10 commands now work but I have noticed the "off" command takes from 15 to 30 seconds to turn off the device while the "on" command works immediately. Also, I am getting a dos window that has the below text that I did not get before the latest upgrade.

Plugin: Insteon Instance: starting...
                              Connecting to server at 127.0.0.1...
                              Connected, waiting to be initialized...

Dan
                              do you have Developer Mode checked on the Plugin page?
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                              X