This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Automated View Post
    It is important to know the approach to dimming of the AC sine wave to properly match the dimmer to the lights. For example, if the dimmer is forward phase, but not symetric, there will be a DC voltage left on the load side of the line. In a magnetic low voltage light transformer, that will cause heating, premature failure, and perhaps a fire risk. Some LED lights have a power supply that will not tolerate ANY kind of forward phase dimmer, and need an inverse type. Inverse phase dimmers are called ELV dimmers by some manufacturers. On the other hand, one should never use an ELV dimmer on a magnetic low voltage (MLV) light. Incandescent lights can use any dimmer type. These are just a few examples. Personally, I have some early generation Cree LED can light modules that will only work with ELV dimmers unless there are multiple on the circuit. This has nothing to do with the neutrals, but just stability of the dimmer circuit.

With regard to the transient protection, I ask because these switches get expensive when you fill a house with them, and it won't be acceptable if one dies every few lightning storms. I experienced this in the past with cheaper X10 switches, which I assume had no protection built in. The Leviton Zwave switches we have now specifically list that they have the protection.

Please also consider developing a ceiling fan speed control dimmer.
    http://ecmweb.com/lighting-control/s...-light-dimming
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
      you know my question...

are you planning on getting any in a toggle style? id be in if so...

sorry... no plans for that at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        Yes, a double-tap merely changes the status of the "central scene" device; it does not control the attached load. In your case, you just create an event that triggers on the double-tap turn on the cabinet lighting.
        Ordering one right now!! Thanks Mark.

Comment

What LEDs are suggested for dinner?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
          Don

Comment

From our hardware partner:

The HS-WD-100+ dimmer circuit is designed with ‘Forward Phase Control’. Refer below the difference between FPC vs RPC….or click link for additional info.

To accomplish dimming of low-voltage magnetic or electronic transformers requires two different types of dimmer control technology. A triac or thyristor-type dimmer (Fig. 2) is used for resistive and inductive loads, such as incandescent, neon, cold cathode, and low-voltage (inductive/magnetic) lamp sources. Dimmers used to control these types of loads are known as leading edge (LE) or forward-phase control (FPC) dimmers. Dimmers that are used to control electronic transformers have a different switching characteristic and are known as trailing edge (TE) or reverse-phase control (RPC) dimmers. It’s important that you select the right dimmer for the load type. The need for the two dimming waveforms is a result of the drive requirements of different load types. To understand this further, a little review of AC theory is in order.
            http://ecmweb.com/lighting-control/s...-light-dimming

HS-PA100+, HS-PD100+, HS-WS100+ and HS-WD100+ all contain surge / transient protection component between Live and Neutral. Since HS-WA100+ is an auxiliary switch only so it doesn’t have surge/transient protection component.

Understood about the types of dimming. I understand that fully. This leading/trailing edge definition is alternate terminology to the forward/reverse terminology. HS should consider creating a trailing edge (ELV) style dimmer also, as sometimes that dimmer type is needed. I would not be able to use HS dimmers on several of my lights.

Glad to hear there is transient suppression built in as well.

Comment

i must say im really excited to see LED compatible dimmers that support associations and instant status.

i will be ordering some of these in the future.
              HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
              53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
              https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
                What LEDs are suggested for dinner?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                For dinner? I like the Cree bulbs in a light duck sauce.

I hope to do a little testing on my own to see what works best. We don't have a specific recommendation yet.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                  Ordering one right now!! Thanks Mark.
                  Cool!

Understood about the types of dimming. I understand that fully. This leading/trailing edge definition is alternate terminology to the forward/reverse terminology. HS should consider creating a trailing edge (ELV) style dimmer also, as sometimes that dimmer type is needed. I would not be able to use HS dimmers on several of my lights.

Glad to hear there is transient suppression built in as well.
                  OK - The Cooper RF9540 reportedly works with ELV as well as other load types. I don't know of any other "general purpose" dimmer that supports ELV too... Z-Wave anyway.

Comment

Cool!

OK - The Cooper RF9540 reportedly works with ELV as well as other load types. I don't know of any other "general purpose" dimmer that supports ELV too... Z-Wave anyway.
                    Leviton also makes a zwave one, but of course it is not zwave+. This is what I have today.

Comment

How does the average joe (me) know what technology is being used for which LED?? This is all news to me, and honestly over my head.

How does the average consumer go into a store and buy an LED bulb and switch and know that they are properly married for each other? I thought the only concern was that it needed the neutral line and an LED that was considered dimmable???

Comment

Leviton also makes a zwave one, but of course it is not zwave+. This is what I have today.
                        You're talking about the VRE06 right? Yea, we used to sell that, but it was expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                          How does the average joe (me) know what technology is being used for which LED?? This is all news to me, and honestly over my head.

How does the average consumer go into a store and buy an LED bulb and switch and know that they are properly married for each other? I thought the only concern was that it needed the neutral line and an LED that was considered dimmable???
                          If it's a *dimmable* LED, it should just work with these. Most modern LEDs dim pretty well.

Comment

You're talking about the VRE06 right? Yea, we used to sell that, but it was expensive.
                            Yes. I probably have half a dozen of those.

To those worrying about which kind of dimmer, keep in mind that most dimmers on the market, including cheap dimmers are mostly forward phase. LED manufacturers know this, and I believe are making LED lights more compatible with them as time goes on. I invested a bit early in the LED game, and have some that are picky, and need the reverse phase type. I have seen some LED advertisements some time in the last few years that even advertised compatibility with "common" dimmers. The only way to find out for sure is try it. HS will not be able to test their dimmer against every light existing out there.

Mark, can you also find out if your dimmer design has RFI filtering? Here, I mean filtering them from emitting RFI, which forward phase dimmers are known well for, if they do not have filtering added.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet
                              ..and do these work with Z-Troller which doesn't support Z-wave+?
                              Yes, if you're using the latest Z-Wave plug-in, you can use the new light switch features with a Z-Troller.

Comment

Any chance your new switches can work in partnership with the GE accessory switches? I have a 4-way and 3-way location that I would love to add the double tap functionality (for nearby lights without a switch), especially if I can just switch out the main switch. . .but replacing the entire 4-way setup probably not likely.

Comment

Working...
                                X