Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Instructions - How to find them.

Originally posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
    That is a command for the API skill, which Amazon has just approved.

As a result of that, users who were already using that skill will need to have the echo rediscover their devices.

If you are using the API skill for the first time, make sure the devices in question have voice command enabled, and have a status pair with an 'on' or an 'off' control use type.
    Where may I find a step by step set of instructions for adding Alexa (Echo) to Homeseer? Thanks!

Comment

That's very misleading since the article says the command is simply "Alexa lock the door".

Comment

The thread for setting up the API skill is here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180033

The standard skill is also available.

For that you would look for HomeSeer Home Automation Skill in the Alexa app.

The username and password to link Alexa to your system is the same as the API skill.

For the standard skill you need to say, 'Alexa, tell HomeSeer to', rather than just 'Alexa', as is for the API skill.

The standard skill is useful as a companion to the API skill in that it allows a more robust range of commands, such as triggering events and setting timers for events.
        Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Yep, it sure is! But I spoke with Amazon directly and gave them the link to that article and they told me that phrase is not supported by their device, they are not using the API, they are using their own custom skill, so they have to say "Alexa, tell..." or "Alexa, ask...".

Details here:

http://support.august.com/customer/e...id-?b_id=10917

Originally posted by str1der View Post
          That's very misleading since the article says the command is simply "Alexa lock the door".
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The username and password to link Alexa to your system is the same as the API skill.

For the standard skill you need to say, 'Alexa, tell HomeSeer to', rather than just 'Alexa', as is for the API skill.

The standard skill is useful as a companion to the API skill in that it allows a more robust range of commands, such as triggering events and setting timers for events.
            Thanks Wade. Was aware of these options but like many was hoping to be able to do it by saying "Alexa Lock front door" instead of unnatural commands like "Alexa tell homeseer to..." and " Alexa turn on door lock"

The article I referenced made it sound like the locking function was now available in the API skill for this particular lock.

Thanks anyway

Comment

Thank you, str1der, but my remarks were for DESIi1, who asked how to set up the echo.
              Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                Yep, it sure is! But I spoke with Amazon directly and gave them the link to that article and they told me that phrase is not supported by their device, they are not using the API, they are using their own custom skill, so they have to say "Alexa, tell..." or "Alexa, ask...".

Details here:

http://support.august.com/customer/e...id-?b_id=10917
                As relates to this somewhat, is Amazon planning to add anymore "command verbs" to their current list (ie On/Off, Set, Dim, etc)?

Do you have any info (not sure if there's an NDA) of where they are headed with Echo longterm, or is this pretty much it?

Thanks,
                Z

Comment

Is there any issue with installing both interfaces at the same time, just vary the wording as is most appropriate for the result?

Comment

Originally posted by DESIi1 View Post
                    Is there any issue with installing both interfaces at the same time, just vary the wording as is most appropriate for the result?
                    Absolutely not a problem! I'm pretty sure that's how most of us are doing it. The API is easy, but the skill is necessary for advanced requests.

Comment

homeseer skill Germany?

HI,

Will there be a Homeseer skill for Germany? or is there a way that I can Use Homeseer with the German Alexa?

Comment

That is a command for the API skill, which Amazon has just approved.

As a result of that, users who were already using that skill will need to have the echo rediscover their devices.

If you are using the API skill for the first time, make sure the devices in question have voice command enabled, and have a status pair with an 'on' or an 'off' control use type.
                        Hello!

I installed the Amazon echo skill yesterday and I have not had any problem with language, although I speak English badly

I can run events and at this time one on/off device. (I installed hs3 pro a short time ago and I only have a basic configuration to test). Nevertheless I have the arduino, the weatherxml the jowihue and the ADIO-100 plug-ins

My question/problem is:

Is it not supposed to be able to ask the status of the arduino outputs (arduino plugin), using "Alexa tell homeseer to get the status of the <output name>"?

or

"Alexa tell homeseer to get the status of the Aveiro Humidity"?

Can I retrive the status of the ocelot variables and turn on and off the secu 16 output's?

Can I retrieve the satus of a virtual device?

My problem is that I get always an answer stating the device was not found

I must say: I'm in Portugal (Europe) and I have installed alexa app(via VPN) with the US configurations ...

I'm missing something?

Help is welcome; thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X