New Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Setup

Just moved into an older home and it was previously wired with an intercom system with individual volume controls indoors and outside. I am going to rewire the whole house but here are my questions.

I want to use a combination of wired and wireless. I have a Sonos speaker and the Sonos connect. It works great but they don't make any outdoor speakers. I have some Boston Acrostics outdoor speakers that I want to use.

So I am trying to combine the two systems together. I'm looking at Russound, not sure I need the CA66 or the MCA-88X series, what about using the D1650? I know I'll lose some functionality, what would be gained by going with one of the other units and which is better the CA66 or the MCA if I need to go that way?

Thanks, Pete

I picked up 2 CAV66 controllers for our new house off of ebay and paid about $300-$400 each for them and also got keypads included. I really like the system and so does the family

I have no experience with the newer controllers but they are a lot more money
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Right now it seems as though all the listings do not include keypads. They are being sold separately, question is can you operate it without keypads?

Comment

Originally posted by pbeddia View Post
        Right now it seems as though all the listings do not include keypads. They are being sold separately, question is can you operate it without keypads?

Yes you can. One of my zones has never had a keypad connected.
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by pbeddia View Post
          I have several zones that are controlled only by HS. It works very well.

Two caveats:
          -If a zone has no keypad there is no way to control the zone without a software interface like BLRussound.
          -It is useful to have at least one keypad for zone programming and troubleshooting.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            -It is useful to have at least one keypad for zone programming and troubleshooting.

I have a CAA and this is not the case. There is no programming needed. I could run the entire system from HSTouch or events. I rarely touch my keypads as I have HS so integrated that little manual control is needed. I touch a keypad maybe twice a month and only for things that I can do as easily in HSTouch.
            Originally posted by rprade
            There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
              I have a CAA and this is not the case. There is no programming needed. I could run the entire system from HSTouch or events.
              Yes. I can do that too, but there are times when I want to remove BLRussound from the equation. I find it very useful to plug the same keypad and speakers into each zone so that results reflect only the zone change.

I also have two CAV 6.6 units and that requires that one of them be setup to be a unit number other than 1. The only way I know how to do that is with a keypad.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
              X