Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDS Meshnet vs Oregon Scientific

Ultra,

In my HS2 setup I'm using a RFXCOMM with Oregon Scientific wireless sensors, specifically the 433MHz 10-channel THGR810 sensors which report temperature and humidity about once per minute. The range has been ver good and battery life is good too. With lithium batteries, the units can even report reliably from within the fridge, freezer, and kegerator.

However, for HS3, I'm considering trying something new w.r.t. wireless environmental monitoring. I was wondering what your experience has been with EDS Meshnet. What kind of report interval vs battery life have you experienced? And how is the range? They advertise 120m, similar to the Oregon Scientific sensors, but they do have a Gen2 long range T/H sensor that claims 1200m.

http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/Sensors_c_68.html

One more question: What underlying database does your plugin use?

Thanks!
    Don

Hi Don,

I have used the MN-CTRL-H - MeshNet Controller with the MN-ENV-THPL - Temperature / Humidity / Pressure / Light Sensor Gen 1 for several years. It's been very reliable. The battery on the sensor has lasted over a year. In fact, I don't remember the last time I checked it

The plug-in uses SQLite as the database.

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Thanks Ultrajones. That's good news. I may buy the receiver and a couple of sensors to test. At 2.4GHz vs 433MHz I wonder whether the meshnet will penetrate walls, fridge cabinets, etc., as well as the OS sensors but it's worth a shot. I have one THGR810 that I use in my spa (double zip lock bagged) that never seems to last very long. The EDS sensor with remote probe might work well for this and I have the impression, with no real basis, that the EDS is more industrial grade than the OS.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Relay support

Hi Ultrajones,

Sorry, one more question: Does your plug-in allow control of the optional relay that is available on the Gen1 Meshnet sensors?

Thanks again,
        Don

Comment

Gen2 MN-ENV-H-THX sensor

Hi Ultrajones,

I picked up a MeshNet controller, one Gen 1 MN-ENV-THPLR sensor and one Gen 2 MN-ENV-H-THX sensor to test. The Gen2 has temperature, humidity, and it supports up to 3 external temperature probes. It also buffers data (up to 1024 samples) if connectivity is lost and the range is significantly better than the Gen 1 sensor. I doesn't support barometric pressure, light, or relay, but I'm still leaning towards the Gen 2 MN-ENV-H-THX devices for the benefits mentioned.

Sensor Comparison: http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/Sensors_c_68.html

Before I purchase several more sensors, I just wanted to confirm that your plug-in supports it including the optional external temperature probes (at least one). If you need me to post device details.xml (from the EDS web ui) just let me know.

Thanks!
          Don

Comment

Originally posted by dschoppe View Post
            Hi Ultrajones,

I picked up a MeshNet controller, one Gen 1 MN-ENV-THPLR sensor and one Gen 2 MN-ENV-H-THX sensor to test. The Gen2 has temperature, humidity, and it supports up to 3 external temperature probes. It also buffers data (up to 1024 samples) if connectivity is lost and the range is significantly better than the Gen 1 sensor. I doesn't support barometric pressure, light, or relay, but I'm still leaning towards the Gen 2 MN-ENV-H-THX devices for the benefits mentioned.

Sensor Comparison: http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/Sensors_c_68.html

Before I purchase several more sensors, I just wanted to confirm that your plug-in supports it including the optional external temperature probes (at least one). If you need me to post device details.xml (from the EDS web ui) just let me know.

Thanks!
            Don
            My plug-in does not currently support it, but it will very soon. I have the new sensor and probe on the way!
            Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
              My plug-in does not currently support it, but it will very soon. I have the new sensor and probe on the way!
              Fantastic, I'll get a few more on order then too and of course purchase your plugin. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ultra1Wire3 HSPI version 3.0.6510.21140 was just posted that supports the new MN-ENV-H-THX - Temperature / Humidity Sensor Gen 2 with External Probe Support.

Regards,
                Ultrajones

Comment

Thanks Ultra. I just purchased a PI license and will give the update a whirl.

Best,
                  Don

Comment

Working...
                  X