SMTP Email NO LONGER Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP Email NO LONGER Works

I have noticed that my Homeseer has not been sending an email for about a week when an alert is supposed to be sent. (became painfully obvious)

The log reports an email server 550 refusal error. But instead of pasting it here I will explain what is happening:

The email service (tried several accounts) is using a different security certificate, probably more advanced than Homeseer can handle.

I even tried "outlook express" it was installed on the homeseer PC, and it did manage to send an email using the settings, but requires my clicking a "are you sure you want to use invalid certificate" server warning. (when in fact the old certificate is on the PC I know.) Can it be "upgraded?" without a large bulky email program?
    (the click-to-pass requirement sort of negates any automation with this option)

I am using HS2 and want to stay with it (because of several reasons, lets just say I have it doing things that HS3 probably would require me to re-code, not to mention I don't know if the hometroller will be slower on HS3)

IS ANYONE aware of a way to allow emails to work again in my situation?.
    Plugin? Script? IMAP software (that is compatible)

I am using a WinXP core, HS2 2.4057 (a hometroller)

Not really interested in upgrading the PC. The hometroller uses 15w of power, a normal PC is ten times as much, and is usually less reliable IMHO.
    (I am off grid so it matters)

Or am I doomed to pay a webhosting friend to setup an email server just for the purpose of bouncing homeseer messages? Should I "sell" his service to other HS2 users in my boat? (can homeseer.com set up such outgoing email service?)

(secured email is NOT needed to notify me about HS events. I don't care if the world reads all of them, they will just know when lightning storm is approaching! But I am the one who needs to know that the most...)

Any help would be appreciated.

Actually SMS TEXT MESSAGE output would be better than email.
    (the email was going to my phone anyway)

ANOTHER THOUGHT:
    There are several sites that send TXT from WEB page, has anyone written a scraper fill-in-the-blanks script that sends texts using the internet thru one of these sites? - Don't need email then!

Have you tried the latest version of HS2? 2.5.0.81 is the latest version.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

no, I never updated - not sure how...

However my outlook express (included in the hometroller) cannot send email without giving certificate warning and making me type password each time. So I dont think the issue lies with homeseer program, but instead winXP.

But im not totally sure

Comment

I am still using STunnel which I used to run on Wintel for the Homeseer 2 client.

Recently installed it on a Homeseer 3 users Linux computer.

Have a read about it here ==> Stunnel

Blogged about it here to help Elk and OmniPro users utilize the integrated email to their panels.

STunnel - Ubuntu 16.04 - GMail SMTP

The XP version is easy to install and get it running.

Updating from HS2 2.4057 to HS2 2.5081 isn't painful.

Just shut down Homeseer first, back up the Homeseer directory then run the installer that you will find here under legacy support; can't find it right now...it will not fix your email issue anyhow...STunnel will though...and it works with Outlook, Gmail or any other email service you are using today...
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have a humble slow (and hard working) hometroller, with pasted info below from the "ABOUT" page of homeseer to illustrate:

Number of Devices: 651
          Unique, Used X-10 Devices: 159
          Number of Z-Wave Nodes: 18
          Number of Events: 1108
          Plug-Ins Enabled: ZWave Thermostats, ADIO-100, DI Connector
          Processor Type and Speed: x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 2 at 1.49 GHz
          Modules/Threads: 174 Modules, 68 Threads
          System Processes/Load: 38 Processes, 36% Load
          Free / Total Physical Memory: 542.66 MBytes / 0.99 GBytes (53% free)
          Free / Total Virtual Memory: 1.96 GBytes / 2.00 GBytes (98% free)
          HomeSeer Memory Used: 72 Mbytes

You can see that poor little Atom processor is taxed pretty hard...

...so I wanted to keep away from the bloated solutions that clog up the processor more. If it was not for the "extreme integration" with XP, I would have slapped the penguin on it by now.

HOWEVER--->
          I did my homework and found that MOZILLA thunderbird runs on XP (its still supported!)
          and is a MAPI compatible program that homeseer can "talk to".
          It has slowed down a little, but I reconfigured it to only send (to never check email) as I only need text (email) notifications, and it works with the only wrinkle being:

msgbox="Another program is trying to send email using Thunderbird"
          (well, that program was homeseer)

I just had to make it remember that it was "OK", click yes, and never asked me again.

Problem solved.

BUT: I still wish there was a streamlined solution (like a security certificate workaround) that would use no additional resources.

(I cannot just easily decide to upgrade processor to a supercomputer as I live totally off grid. Solar only source of power whatsoever, and the hometroller is only 15w and is integral to the function of the home as it directs power usage as conditions change.)

Comment

I would suspect a raspberry Pi would work in your case and get you into HS3 (if you wanted) and use very minimal power.

But I also completely understand the idea that if it's working, leave it alone.

Comment

You can see that poor little Atom processor is taxed pretty hard...

Here run 15 HS Touch clients on Atom tabletop computers with embedded XP...been fine now for years. Tested HS2 on these a long time ago and it worked. Only thing is that they are fast dual threaded Atom CPUs but only have 512Mb of RAM.

found that MOZILLA thunderbird runs on XP (its still supported!)

I utilize Thunderbird on my Linux computers. Good news that it works with Homeseer and embedded XP. Geez now recalling the days of using Netscape.

BUT: I still wish there was a streamlined solution (like a security certificate workaround) that would use no additional resources.

STunnel is not really much of a resource hog. You can also install it on another computer in your home. With STunnel you would just configure Homeseer email the same except go to a loopback address for your SMTP email. It'll do all of the certs automagically.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
              X