Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Server computer OS software

Hi,
    I'm getting a 64 bit computer and I'm wondering what kind of experience you have with Windows 7 64 bit. Right now I have HS on a Windows XP 32 bit with the HS Phone card, Insteon serial, Zwave z-stick, Temp08 serial, MSCSprinkler. Do you have any issues with the drivers, issues with Windows7 64bit, any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Aldo

If you are using the HSPhone modem, it will only work on XP.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Outside of the phone issue Rupp mentioned, W764works extremely well for HS. I have insteon and have used a W764 Server for over a year.
      Paul

Comment

Good experience here as well. I ran on Windows 7 x64 for about a year, then switched over to Windows Server 2008R2 64 bit. Both worked great.

One piece of advice if you do go 64 bit - some plugins don't understand that 32 bit apps get installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\ instead of C:\Program Files\. I solved that problem by installing HomeSeer into C:\HS2 instead. No problems once I did that.
        HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, what other hardware do you use instead of HSPhone modem on the Windows 7?

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
            Thanks for the feedback, what other hardware do you use instead of HSPhone modem on the Windows 7?
            Way2Call - you can find them on ebay every once in a while for cheap.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Here are your best bets.
              http://store.homeseer.com/store/Tele...ation-C46.aspx
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                If you are using the HSPhone modem, it will only work on XP.
                Actually it works fine on Windows 2003 server as well, which is based on XP. I ran one for years.

Comment

I run Win 7, 64bit with 16gb of RAM, and it runs a dream.
                  Fast, responsive and quite reliable on my setup.

HS Install Directory in C: Location,
                  Running Ethernet to RS232 server - TI203-232
                  USB to RS232 - Weather Station & WF800 RF Receiver
                  USB - RFXCOM

And quite a few plugins
                  HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

64 bit is the default now on new computers. This size give RAM capacity and better performance on CPU intensive applications. It comes at the cost in reduced hardware you can interface and software you can run. There are many threads on this board that boast how little CPU is for HS on a low power computer. It is unlikely that you will install more RAM that is supported by 32 bit OS. It is much the same as a few years ago where you could no longer buy mainstream computers with COM ports. Yes USB has advantages for the mass market, but it does not mean it is also good for HA market where much uses the RS232.

Comment

Great point. On the same subject, do you see any issues with running Temp08, Mcstemperature and McsSprinkler on Windows7 64 bit?

Aldo

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
                        Great point. On the same subject, do you see any issues with running Temp08, Mcstemperature and McsSprinkler on Windows7 64 bit?

Aldo
                        Since Michael has commented already on this post I hope he'll clarify, but I recall mcsTemperature being a problem with a default 64 bit install. It was either mcsTemperature or mcsSprinklers that wouldn't work. To fix it I installed HomeSeer into C:\HSPRO instead of the Program Files directory.
                        Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                        Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                        Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I know mcsSprinklers operates as an applicatio/plugin on x64. I have never had success with it as a service. I believe others have tried mcsTemperature on x64 without success. It I its dependency on MS products that are no longer supported.

Moving toward HS3 I plan to have mcsSprinklers and mcsXap migrated. I have Temp08, charting etc all as xAP applicatios that do not need to change with HS3.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                            I know mcsSprinklers operates as an applicatio/plugin on x64. I have never had success with it as a service. I believe others have tried mcsTemperature on x64 without success. It I its dependency on MS products that are no longer supported.

Moving toward HS3 I plan to have mcsSprinklers and mcsXap migrated. I have Temp08, charting etc all as xAP applicatios that do not need to change with HS3.
                            Michael, I'm using mcsTemperature on my 64 bit system just fine. I did have to make sure that HomeSeer wasn't installed into \Program Files (x86)\ though. The first time I tried it with HomeSeer in the default path mcsTemperature installed itself into the wrong location and wouldn't function.

Comment

Great feedback, thank you.
                              How did you migrate from Windows XP to Windows 7 64bit?

Thanks,
                              Aldo

Comment

Working...
                              X