Keyboard and Mouse Sensor plug-in - HS2 User Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard and Mouse Sensor plug-in - HS2 User Guide

This plug-in is designed to allow HomeSeer to detect any mouse or keyboard activity on a local or a remote computer. It sets a device status to "On" as soon as it detects a mouse movement/click or a key stroke on the keyboard, and it sets it back to "Off" after X seconds of inactivity, where X is configurable. This plugin includes the main dll plugin to be installed on the HomeSeer machine and a client software which can be installed on any Windows machine. One device is created in HomeSeer for each running client.

One possible use for this plugin is to detect occupancy or lack of occupancy in a room. For example I have the client installed on my desktop PC and HomeSeer configured to turn on the lights in this room as soon as I move the mouse, and turn them off after 3 minutes of inactivity (no mouse movement/click or key stroke during 3 minutes).

Installation Instructions:
    1. Download and install the plugin from the HS updater
    2. Restart HS and enable the KMS plugin from the Setup / Interfaces page
    3. Copy and run KMSClientSetup.exe to the machine(s) for which you want to monitor keyboard and mouse activity. The KMSClientSetup.exe file is in your HS directory in BIN/KMS.
    4. You should now see a KMSClient shortcut on your desktop. Run it as Administrator. (right click / run this program as administrator)
      **** Important Note: you can run the client without running it as Administrator, but in this case it won't be able to detect mouse and keyboard activity when your cursor is over a window from a program started as Admin
      , so my recommendation is to always start is as Admin; to make this automatic, right click on the shortcut, go to Compatibility tab and check "Run this program as administrator" ****
    5. Find the KMS icon in your tray menu and click it to show the KMSClient window.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	kmsclient.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1205160
      set the HomeSeer host field to the IP of your HS machine and click "Apply Changes"

That's it, if the client has successfully connected to the server, a KMS device should have been created in HS, and the On/Off status of this device should reflect the mouse and keyboard activity of the client machine.

Name:	kmsdevice.jpg
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1205161

To automatically start the client when you start your computer, I would recommend to copy the KMSClient shortcut to your startup folder (C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ Start Menu\Programs\Startup)

Additional Configuration:

For each device created you can customize the inactivity delay by clicking the device name on the status page. The default inactivity delay is 60 seconds.

Name:	deviceconfig2.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1205162

Notes:
    • If the client cannot connect to HS, make sure there is no firewall blocking traffic on port 8283 (This is the default port used by the server but it is configurable from an ini config file)
    • Known bug: clicking the minimize or close button in the client window can make your computer freeze for a few seconds. One workaround is to right click the title bar and use the contextual menu to close or minimize instead of the buttons.

Please give me your feedback in this forum, and let me know about any issues or additional feature requests.

I hope you enjoy using the plug-in and find it useful.

spud
    Last edited by spud; January 26, 2015, 09:54 AM.

What a great idea for a plugin - kudos!
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Great idea.

Any plans to support Android tablets with this?
      Bryan
      Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
      Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
        I didn't think about it, but this is a good idea. I will work on it.

Comment

Nice! Can this detect mouse movements when the computer is locked?
          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
          Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
          on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
          WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
            Nice! Can this detect mouse movements when the computer is locked?
            just tested this, and the answer is no, the windows client will not detect mouse movements when the computer is locked, you have to be logged in.

Comment

Any future use for iPad by any chance?
              Hector
              MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
                Great idea.

The Android client is available here: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1064771

Once you have installed, configured and started the app, you can close it, a service will keep running in the background and will detect "screen unlock" events as well as any touch event from any application, except touch on status bar.

let me know if you have any problem.

Comment

How about ipad?
                  Hector
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                    How about ipad?
                    it's on my TODO list, but not sure when it will be ready.

Comment

Thks, will be watching this post.....
                      Hector
                      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

IOS client

Hi Spud,
                        I've tested your KMS plugin and it's very useful for me.
                        What's about an IOS client ?

Regards, Fischi

Comment

Originally posted by Fischi View Post
                          Hi Spud,
                          I've tested your KMS plugin and it's very useful for me.
                          What's about an IOS client ?

Regards, Fischi
                          I'm glad you like it.
                          Unfortunately there has been almost no interest for this plugin, and creating an iOS client will require me to buy an iOS developer license, so it's not in my plans to build one.

If you didn't see it, there is an Android client though.

Comment

Hi Spud,
                            After a time period the kms sensor server doesn't work anymore.
                            Every time I have to shutdown and restart the server.

What's the reason ?

Regards, Fischi

Comment

Originally posted by Fischi View Post
                              Hi Spud,
                              After a time period the kms sensor server doesn't work anymore.
                              Every time I have to shutdown and restart the server.

What's the reason ?

Regards, Fischi
                              is there any error or info in the logs?
                              after how much time does it stop working?
                              do you run the KMS client on the HS machine itself or from another computer?

Comment

Working...
                              X