Duplicate Entries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate Entries

I am still learning HS. I have many devices on a ISY994 with Insteon and Zwave.
    I am slowly testing and converting to HS. I downloaded the ISY plugin tonight and now I have many more of my ISY devices showing than I actually have. It appears there are alot of duplicates.

Is there any way to get rid of them and start over?

HS3 PRO, S6

You can delete them all from HomeSeer. Every time the plug-in starts it will check the existing HomeSeer devices and compare with the list it gets from the ISY and then create any HomeSeer devices that are missing.

The easiest way to see all the devices that the ISY created is to filter on just the ISY device types. All of them are prefixed by "ISY" when you open the device type filter in HomeSeer. You can then just select all and delete.

But first, are you sure they are duplicates? There have been very rare cases where the plug-in has gotten confused and re-created all the devices on startup, but I've only had reports of that happening about 3 times over the past 10 years.

The plug-in does create HomeSeer devices for every physical Insteon/Zwave device and every scene, every program, every variable, every network resource. If you have some of those other types of resources that are named the same as the devices it may appear like you have duplicates, but they are really different devices.
    --
    Bob Paauwe
    ISYInsteon Plug-in
    http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Originally posted by bpwwer View Post
      You can delete them all from HomeSeer. Every time the plug-in starts it will check the existing HomeSeer devices and compare with the list it gets from the ISY and then create any HomeSeer devices that are missing.

The easiest way to see all the devices that the ISY created is to filter on just the ISY device types. All of them are prefixed by "ISY" when you open the device type filter in HomeSeer. You can then just select all and delete.

But first, are you sure they are duplicates? There have been very rare cases where the plug-in has gotten confused and re-created all the devices on startup, but I've only had reports of that happening about 3 times over the past 10 years.

The plug-in does create HomeSeer devices for every physical Insteon/Zwave device and every scene, every program, every variable, every network resource. If you have some of those other types of resources that are named the same as the devices it may appear like you have duplicates, but they are really different devices.
      It only shows me 2 devices when I filter by "ISY Module". It now shows me with 751 devices!
      Attached Files

Comment

Right, the ISY Module type devices are created for the various add-on modules that you can purchase for the ISY. Some just show that they are installed, like the two you have, but other create additional devices like the climate module.

750 devices is not unreasonable. I have a fairly small installation and have over 360 devices created by the plugin.

The plug-in will attempt to detect duplicate devices and delete them. So if you really do have duplicates, that would indicate that your HS database is corrupted in some manner such that the plug-in can't detect that those devices already exist.

Can you provide an example of a device that is duplicated? Seeing what's in the advanced configuration tab of the duplicates would be very helpful.
        --
        Bob Paauwe
        ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Right, the ISY Module type devices are created for the various add-on modules that you can purchase for the ISY. Some just show that they are installed, like the two you have, but other create additional devices like the climate module.

750 devices is not unreasonable. I have a fairly small installation and have over 360 devices created by the plugin.

The plug-in will attempt to detect duplicate devices and delete them. So if you really do have duplicates, that would indicate that your HS database is corrupted in some manner such that the plug-in can't detect that those devices already exist.

Can you provide an example of a device that is duplicated? Seeing what's in the advanced configuration tab of the duplicates would be very helpful.
          See this screen shot! I shrunk it so you could see more entries.
          Attached Files

Comment

That does look suspicious.

Can you look at the advanced configuration for two of the duplicate entries, say the "ZW 015 Mulilevel Sensor SAFE" entries? If you click on the name it will open the configuration screen with multiple tabs, look at the advanced tab. I'd like to see the details of at least two of them. That may provide some insight into what is happening.

Also, what type of z-wave device is that and how is it represented in the ISY admin console. I looks like some type of multi-sensor. I'm not sure how that gets represented as I don't have any of those.

Getting a dump of the log output with the plug-in starting with the log level set to "notices" would help too. You can email the log output to bpaauwe at yahoo dot com if you don't want to attach it here.
            --
            Bob Paauwe
            ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

That does look suspicious.

Can you look at the advanced configuration for two of the duplicate entries, say the "ZW 015 Mulilevel Sensor SAFE" entries? If you click on the name it will open the configuration screen with multiple tabs, look at the advanced tab. I'd like to see the details of at least two of them. That may provide some insight into what is happening.

Also, what type of z-wave device is that and how is it represented in the ISY admin console. I looks like some type of multi-sensor. I'm not sure how that gets represented as I don't have any of those.

Getting a dump of the log output with the plug-in starting with the log level set to "notices" would help too. You can email the log output to bpaauwe at yahoo dot com if you don't want to attach it here.
              Its an aeon multisensor 6, but there are other duplicates that are insteon multi keypad wall switches among others. I'll get the log file to you as soon as I figure out how to do it.
              Attached Files

Comment

Just based on that information, it looks like the plug-in is failing to properly create the device.

At some point I introduced a bug where the plug-in is failing like this with device types that it doesn't know how to handle. It should just create a generic device. I believe I see what needs to change to fix this.

But this shouldn't be causing problems with Insteon devices unless it is some new device type that I don't know about. Keypads are supported. However, each keypad will create 5 or 8 HomeSeer devices (one for each keypad button).

I'm curious as to how the multi-sensor is represented in the ISY. Based on your one screen shot, it looks like it is represented as multiple devices in the ISY.

If you open http://<isy IP address>/rest/nodes/ZW015_1 in a browser and send me the results, that may help me add support for the mulit-sensor. Also are there other nodes like ZW015_2, ZW015_3? If so, send those too.
                --
                Bob Paauwe
                ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Just based on that information, it looks like the plug-in is failing to properly create the device.

At some point I introduced a bug where the plug-in is failing like this with device types that it doesn't know how to handle. It should just create a generic device. I believe I see what needs to change to fix this.

But this shouldn't be causing problems with Insteon devices unless it is some new device type that I don't know about. Keypads are supported. However, each keypad will create 5 or 8 HomeSeer devices (one for each keypad button).

I'm curious as to how the multi-sensor is represented in the ISY. Based on your one screen shot, it looks like it is represented as multiple devices in the ISY.

If you open http://<isy IP address>/rest/nodes/ZW015_1 in a browser and send me the results, that may help me add support for the mulit-sensor. Also are there other nodes like ZW015_2, ZW015_3? If so, send those too.
                  Here is the ISY for device 15
                  Attached Files

Comment

I just uploaded version 3.0.1.1 that has a fix for the duplication problem. I should be available via the updater now. The plug-in won't properly support the multi-sensor device or other z-wave devices that it doesn't know about yet, but it should no longer create duplicates of them on restart.

You'll have to delete all the existing duplicates manually and then the next restart they'll get created with type "ISY Unknown".

If you send me a list of the z-wave devices you have that show up as unknown, I'll start looking into adding support for them. I did order a multi-sensor so that I'll be able to start on that shortly.
                    --
                    Bob Paauwe
                    ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

I just uploaded version 3.0.1.1 that has a fix for the duplication problem. I should be available via the updater now. The plug-in won't properly support the multi-sensor device or other z-wave devices that it doesn't know about yet, but it should no longer create duplicates of them on restart.

You'll have to delete all the existing duplicates manually and then the next restart they'll get created with type "ISY Unknown".

If you send me a list of the z-wave devices you have that show up as unknown, I'll start looking into adding support for them. I did order a multi-sensor so that I'll be able to start on that shortly.
                      Much better! Thanks! I'll get you a list of what items don't seem to be supported.

I did notice that some of the names are missing the first letter or so. but other than that...it seems to be great!

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by rg65 View Post
                        Much better! Thanks! I'll get you a list of what items don't seem to be supported.

I did notice that some of the names are missing the first letter or so. but other than that...it seems to be great!

Thanks again!
                        I am not using this on the HS so it doesn't matter to me, but my thermostats are showing that I will be cooking soon! I think 5.x branch of the ISY has an extra digit of precision on the temperatures.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Can you give an example of what devices are missing the first letter(s) and what's in the ISY vs what you see in HS?

Thanks for the heads up on the thermostat. So Insteon thermostats double the value and z-wave thermostats report 10x the value (or is it really 20x and I'm already dividing by 2?). I don't think I'm using all the same code for both the insteon and z-wave thermostats but it looks like z-wave thermostats are a bit different so I'll have to take that into account.
                          --
                          Bob Paauwe
                          ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Can you give an example of what devices are missing the first letter(s) and what's in the ISY vs what you see in HS?

Thanks for the heads up on the thermostat. So Insteon thermostats double the value and z-wave thermostats report 10x the value (or is it really 20x and I'm already dividing by 2?). I don't think I'm using all the same code for both the insteon and z-wave thermostats but it looks like z-wave thermostats are a bit different so I'll have to take that into account.
                            Here are a couple:
                            Attached Files

Comment

That's really strange. I've never seen it screw up the names like that and when I name a device in the ISY using either of those names they show up properly in HS.

If you delete the device from HS and restart the plug-in does it still have the truncated name?
                              --
                              Bob Paauwe
                              ISYInsteon Plug-in

Comment

Working...
                              X