Outdoor camera opinion needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor camera opinion needed...

Could the guys who know about these things give me an opinion on this outdoor camera:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...pno~178167.asp

I like the fact that it's a wireless camera that I can split off at the receiver and then send to both a capture card as well as TV (I think).

However, I have no expertise on how to judge quality etc.

Thanks,

K

No opinion on that one, but with cameras you really get what you pay for.

I wouldn't buy a cam without a good return policy. There is too much junk out there unless you like throwing away your money like I do.

~Bill

Comment

The camera specs are not very impressive. The camera uses a CMOS chip as opposed to a higher-quality CCD. CMOS is cheaper and as such gives you a poorer quality picture. And even thought it's a wireless setup, you still need to get power to the camera. You might want to look at Superciruits (www.supercircuits.com). They deal in security camera setups. Some camera setups are pretty good deals.

Chuck

Comment

http://www.dalsa.com/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.asp

CCD vs CMOS

I highly recommend you get a CCD.

Comment

Kwaugh,
          I have 2 suggestions. If you want to start with an affordable (cheap)camera I would recommend an the wireless X10 cameras. They offer the ability to be switched without an expensive camera switcher. If you want a inexpensive (cheap) wired camera then I would highly recommend this camera. I use this one and it works good for $30. Now on the other end if you want high quality CCD cameras then Super Circuits is the place to look. Keep in mind though. If you have more than one wired camera you need a way to switch back and forth between them.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Cameras continued...

My head is definitely spinning on this one.

Rupp - at what distance are the cameres you reference suitable for recognizing individuals?

I think I've officially become a cranky middle aged man: my house is across from a park and I'm starting to find the occaisional beer bottle in my front yard. I'd like the capability to identify people (day and night) from the camera positioned under the front eaves of my house (maybe 20 yards to the street).

Comment

If your looking for a camera that can ID someone at night then you need to be looing at hi res cameras and they start at ~$800 and go up from there. I have a link that I'll post when I find it for the good stuff if that's what you after.

Comment

Cameras

Yikes. Maybe I'm not so cranky afterall!

I may have to go with just the illusion of being able to identify someone!

Speaking of identifying someone - are there any legal issues with pointing a camera at private or public property? Is it a requirement to let someone know they are being recorded when they come on your property?

Thanks,

K

Comment

Here's the site that has some really good cameras for a good price. If you call the company ask for Jeff. He will work with you to get the camera you need for your particular situation.

http://www.needtoknowsurveillance.co...%20cameras.htm

Comment

Anyone has one of these:

http://www.supercircuits.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=4592

Networkable DVR with up to quad camera inputs. Does it mean I can actually see up to 4 analog cameras through the DVR over the Internet? Considering the cost of IP cameras, I can get one of these and buy 4 analog cameras.

Is there any catch? The price seems very good to me

Thanks,

Simon

Comment

Looks OK and the price isn't bad but there is no hard drive in it. You'll have to add one.
                      Martin Custer

Comment

Martin,

Do you have access to these gadgets? I'd prefer to get them from you if you have access to them. I got rid of one computer so I have a few 80GB drives now.

Thanks,

Simon

Comment

Thought this topic may be of interest to you:
                          http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=1883

It has lots of screen shots of cameras

Comment

Working...
                          X