Super simple range extention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super simple range extention

There are a few threads about extending the range of their RF devices, usually repurposing a scanner or TV antenna.

I've had a few dead spots that finally got me annoyed enough to take action and figure out a solution. The receiver (W800RF32) is in the furnace room and really can't be moved to a more central spot in the house. I figured the metal duct work was blocking the signal in certain areas then it occurred that this might also be the solution.

I soldered a ring terminal to the end of the receiver's pigtail and slipped it under a screw joining the ducts together. PERFECT reception now. The ducts go through the whole house (duh) and pick up even the farthest motion sensors now.

Just passing this forward, it was so stupidly simple and it might just help one of you.

Do you have a picture of this solution?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I didn't claim it was pretty! If this works out (it's only been a few hours) I'll probably velcro it to the duct.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by calmconviction; January 26, 2016, 07:07 PM. Reason: removed location tag from pic

Comment

How is this working out?

tenholde
        tenholde

Comment

Just fine actually! It's a big difference. I was concerned I'd pick up more noise and other people's remotes but it hasn't been a problem (but I'm sure I'm the only one on the street using X10).

I've since used some velcro to more permanently affix it to the vent and used a screw harder to get to but closer to the server to clean things up a bit.

Comment

Working...
          X