Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triggering OmniPro II from ZWave sensors via HS

Hello,

I'm new here. I'm working on "upgrading" a large estate which currently has four buildings (home, pool house, shop, pump house). The house has an Omni Pro II system providing alarm functionality (and a few lights) to the house only. I've added a SmartThings hub to connect to a few Z Wave devices, notably a driveway entrance sensor which causes alarms to "ding" around the house and shop when a vehicle comes up the driveway. The house, pool house, and shop are connected via hard wired Ethernet, the pump house is connected to the network via wifi bridge.

I hope to accomplish this:
    - Replace SmartThings hub with HomeSeer Hometroller
    - Retain OmniPro II primarily as the security system but for the entire property, not just the house
    - Add Z Wave sensors, alarms, etc to the HS system in the other buildings
    - Cause the OmniPro II to respond to the Z Wave sensors being tripped in the other buildings
    - It would also be nice to add a "console" of sorts to the other buildings allowing them to arm/disarm the system (this isn't a deal breaker, but would be nice).

Hopefully that explains what I'm trying to do well enough. If we were able to just expand the OmniPro II system to the other buildings that would probably solve at least the security aspects of this, but running cabling between the buildings to tie in sensors and consoles just isn't possible.

Also, I came across this thread which I think shows it's possible to use the Z Wave sensors on the HS side to trigger the OmniPro II but I'd love confirmation of that:
    https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=190615

Thanks so much,
    Phil
    Last edited by phil; October 30, 2017, 02:00 PM.

Welcome Phil.

-I believe you can replace SmartThings hub with HomeSeer and do way more than you ever could with ST
    - I use my OPII for full UPB automation and security, and augment with HS3. OPII is rock solid. Every so often I have a HS3 hiccup, but it version 3 is pretty rock solid lately.
    - I use z-wave across a large area and across multiple buildings. The building are only connected with wifi bridges. I use z-wave at the remove sites, and HS3 to automate all of my z-wave. In my experiance adding z-wave to OPII is clunky and I gave up a while back. Pete and others have had some luck and can chime in.
    -I use HSTouch as my console. I use Android tablets all over the house as consoles. I still use the consoles to trigger open/close of gate, garage doors, etc, but I mostly use Alexa now and simply say what I want. Where the consoles have really come in handy is the Blue Iris plugin and the ability to trigger events based on camera motion.

The other thing worth looking into is the Arduino plugin. If you can modify basic C code this will open a whole new world to you. I measure the amperage on a remote well pump, pressure on my well tank, and water levels in the tank with an NodeMCU for under $25. Includes wifi built in and ability to perform OTA updates. a NodeMCU mounted to garage ceiling tells me if garage door is open, closed, and if a car is int he closed garage based on distance sensors. I also have latching water values and h-bridges that control if the house gets water from the city water supply or well, which is activated by Alexa. If I am out of town my wife no longer has to go in the front yard, reach her hand in a hole and turn a valve. She simply says "Alexa turn city water on". She can see the status of the water on the HS Touch consoles and trigger water changes from the consoles if Alex is brain dead. I have adruino water sensors and temperature sensors all over the house. I had to make a console screen dedicated to temperature I have so many! I may have gone overboard. If I sense a water leak(arduino water sensors) I can turn all water off automatically to prevent further damage. I can email and text (via email to text) any alerts.

The HS Touch console also works on my android phone via port forwarding or VPN.

I got into HomeSeer in the HS2 days, and was a little disappointed how long it took for all of the plugins to get ported to HS3, but it rocks now. If HS3 goes down (usually due to Windows) my wife starts complaining as the consoles quit working.

I tried going to a Linux server (what I believe Hometroller is based on), and my Android tablets had issues with HStouch. I believe others have had luck with Linus server and Windows clients. One think that sold my on Linux HS Touch consoles is the ability of android to auto scale to the resolution of the device. This way one set of HS Touch screens runs on any android.

Hope this helps.

Guy

Comment

Guy,

Thanks for the info. That's all very helpful. I'd still like to figure out a definitive answer to if I can trigger the OPII from the HS3. The main reason for looking into an HS3 setup was to add better security to the other buildings on the property. Being the owners already rely on the OPII to alert them if something is tripped in the house they'd like it to do the same if something is tripped elsewhere.

I'm planning on avoiding the official zwave support on the OPII directly as I've not read anything good about it. If the method in the other thread I posted proves to not be viable I'm considering using a microcontroller (probably Raspberry Pi) with a relay board connected the available slots on the OPII to basically emulate a physical sensor being tripped. Obviously this would require also figuring out how to write a plugin for the HS3 system. Being a software developer myself I'm sure it can't be too painful. I've also considered plugging a serial controlled relay box directly into the HS box and triggering it that way. Who knows. Really don't want to reinvent the wheel if possible. I'll see what others have to add to these ideas.

Anyway, thanks again for the info. If we end up going with an HS3 setup I'll definitely pick your brain on how you've got your well setup. I'd probably interface with an RPI vs a simpler microcontroller just for better remote deployment options but GPIO is GPIO. So I'm sure I could adapt it.

Comment

Phil,

You can arm and manage the security features of the OPII from HS3. Look through the forums, but Rob has made several changes by request around events based on who sets the alarm.

I use HS Touch for my interface to HS3 vs. the web UI and I have issues with the Omni plugin where bypassing zone that are open does not work properly via HS Touch. If I make sure all doors/windows are closed all is fine.

Also have OPII managing my thermostats and use OPII flags to trigger events based on who is home. Like set thermostats back upstairs when kids are home, or turning off all lights/fans at 10AM when they are home. Even in their 20's they can't seem to turn of the %@!#^!@#% lights!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Phil.

Putting the security hat on here relating to life and safety features of the OmniPro 2 panel......

I'm planning on avoiding the official zwave support on the OPII directly as I've not read anything good about it.

Leviton Omni Pro panels do not and will probably never support Z-Wave / Zigbee wireless environmental sensors and assume that these sensors are wired directly to the panel or utilization of wireless security sensors (IE: via the two RF transceivers that they sell).

I do see maybe their new Lumina stuff may support Zigbee and ZWave wireless sensors.

The main reason for looking into an HS3 setup was to add better security to the other buildings on the property.

The Homeseer Omni Plugin serves as an addendum to the OmniPro 2 panel. It does not add security features to the panel.

Recently helped a friend on a farm relating to connecting buildings and trenched for cabling which was not really much of an issue.

You can utilize Homeseer touch as a console to the panel, sensor use to Homeseer, serially connected automation device control via the Homeseer Plugin, Amazon Echo control, et al.

Here utilize analog connections to the Omni Pro 2 panel (up to 48 zones). Many folks utilize remote expansion panels.

Primarily utilize UPB, X10, Z-Wave and Zigbee for lighting automation.

Cause the OmniPro II to respond to the Z Wave sensors being tripped in the other buildings

This could work connecting ZWave sensors in Homeseer to trip solenoids connected to zones. Not really sure how timely this would be. I would not recommend the use of ZWave sensors for the OmniPro 2 panel.

Here utilize outdoor Optex analog sensors and analogue under the driveway sensors (Cartel).

It would also be nice to add a "console" of sorts to the other buildings allowing them to arm/disarm the system (this isn't a deal breaker, but would be nice).

Here primary consoles are wired keypads and wired Omnitouch serial and wired Omnitouch IP consoles.

You can do wireless Omnitouch IP consoles. You can also run HAI Omnitouch Pro on a windows console (CE, XP, W7 et al).

Here primarily use Homeseer Touch consoles in wired mode (POE Gb table top tablets) and testing wireless. Security is primarily dependent on wired devices and wireless is a last choice for Omni Pro consoles.

The Leviton Zigbee ZIM and ZWave VRCOP only work with thermostats, door locks and switches documented by Leviton / HAI.

Personally I would keep the security pieces of the Omnipro 2 panel in analog mode and not assume that Z-Wave wireless will provide additional security sensors to the panel. If the need for wireless security connectivity is needed then it would be recommended to utilize Leviton / HAI / wireless transceivers.
          Last edited by Pete; October 31, 2017, 10:29 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The idea of tripping something within HomeSeer that an OmniPro (or Elk etc) panel sees as a zone with trouble is brilliant.

Forget a solenoid, isn't there a low voltage switch or relay or something controllable by HomeSeer that would be hard wired into the OmniPro panel as a zone that causes a voltage shift or something?

Imagine if you had a unit with 8x of these, you could wire in one for each alarm zone on the OmniPro and it would fire the alarms in whatever zone you want!

I'm a software geek, don't know my way (yet) around the hardware well enough to know what this would be.

Comment

Take a look at this unit from HomeSeer: https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=24955173830

You would need relays off of it to input into the Omni but something it may work or you might find something similar that has relay output.

Comment

Thanks for all of the additional info. I've been contemplating a bunch of different routes to go with this. I think if I were to go with the original idea of having the zwave sensors on the HS3 trigger the OPII I'd just use a couple raspberry pi devices with a relay board on the OPII side.

However, I'm thinking the expansion board route may be the best bet for this situation. The only real trouble is connecting them back to the main panel. I have a sneaky feeling that the two wire interface used between expansions and main board use RS485. If that's the case then a simple RS485 over IP solution would solve that problem.

I'll let you know what I find. Otherwise I'll probably be back in a different forum when I get into the actual automation stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                  The idea of tripping something within HomeSeer that an OmniPro (or Elk etc) panel sees as a zone with trouble is brilliant.

The Omni Plugin does this as the zones are already defined as variables and you can utilize an if then statement to trigger an event within Homeseer - standard feature.

Leviton / HAI Omni offers multiple IO boards for the panel.

That said one wrong voltage applied to the Omni Panel can damage the board and it is expensive to replace.

Forget a solenoid, isn't there a low voltage switch or relay or something controllable by HomeSeer that would be hard wired into the OmniPro panel as a zone that causes a voltage shift or something?

You can add expansion boards to the OmniPro 2.

I have added both Zone expansion and relay boards. You can also combine these. It is the same as a ADIO board.

HAI sells branded HAI solenoids that connect to the outputs on the panel such that no damage occurs.

Thanks for writing back on this, but I think you have it backwards:

HomeSeer is controlling a device/relay/switch that is also wired to the OPII as a zone. So HS is the system with the business logic telling OnniPro something.

I've currently got 4X OPII's all with expansion boards. I just need an intermediate device that OPII sees as a zone that HomeSeer controls when it gets 'thrown' as a sensor.

Comment

Let me ask the question differently:

What sort of relay/output exists that Homeseer could control that would create an electrical change in a circuit wired into the Omni that is similar to the change seen when a powered motion detector, door sensor, water sensor, smoke or other standard alarm/security sensor trips?

PS Pete -> I am *NOT* ignoring you, I just couldn't find the solenoids sold by HAI/Leviton or Elk. Got a part number?

Comment

Have you looked at the Leviton 17A00? It's a remote expansion board (also comes with an enclosure) that adds 16 zones and 16 voltage outputs to the OmniPro. Also the 19A00 that has 8 relays.

I think it could work like this: zwave motion detector (or other triggering device) trips and notifies HS3 which triggers an event that sets a voltage output on the expansion panel to "on". This opens a relay which is wired to a zone on the expansion panel which then goes to tripped. This triggers an alarm mode in the OP2.

The 17A00 connects to the main OP2 panel via 4 wires, up to 1000 ft. You can also wire a keypad to it, giving remote arming and control.

Google for more info. It's a roundabout way to do this but there's no other way to trigger an alarm in OP2 programatically.

Comment

Originally posted by fksk View Post
                        Let me ask the question differently:

What sort of relay/output exists that Homeseer could control that would create an electrical change in a circuit wired into the Omni that is similar to the change seen when a powered motion detector, door sensor, water sensor, smoke or other standard alarm/security sensor trips?

PS Pete -> I am *NOT* ignoring you, I just couldn't find the solenoids sold by HAI/Leviton or Elk. Got a part number?
                        I have an arduino with a relay shield that opens/closes zones on my panel. The arduino monitors an LED with a photocell. You could probably use a Raspberry Pi with a relay shield as well.
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by lakemirror View Post
                          Have you looked at the Leviton 17A00? It's a remote expansion board (also comes with an enclosure) that adds 16 zones and 16 voltage outputs to the OmniPro. Also the 19A00 that has 8 relays.

I think it could work like this: zwave motion detector (or other triggering device) trips and notifies HS3 which triggers an event that sets a voltage output on the expansion panel to "on". This opens a relay which is wired to a zone on the expansion panel which then goes to tripped. This triggers an alarm mode in the OP2.

The 17A00 connects to the main OP2 panel via 4 wires, up to 1000 ft. You can also wire a keypad to it, giving remote arming and control.

Google for more info. It's a roundabout way to do this but there's no other way to trigger an alarm in OP2 programatically.
                          If this was directed at me, yes I have about 10x of the 17A00s across 3x OPIIs. THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!

The Z-Wave sensors firing an Omni alarm area is attractive / necessary because we are constantly in construction or developing entirely new facilities.

So far I've got a bit over 350,000 square feet under roof across multiple cities. Z-wave allows me to temporarily sensor/control an area that hasn't been finished out yet without having to spend a ton on raceway/wire that may not be in the correct final location. Wireless is perfect (and really the only) solution until the other trades are complete and we can go wired. Trust me, wired is where my heart is at but I love being able to re-purpose the temp Z-wave stuff in the next spot!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X