Sense Energy Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sense Energy Monitor

Does anybody have any feedback on the Sense Energy Monitor system?

https://sense.com/product.html

Ray

Just purchased the Aeon Labs Aeotec ZW095-A Z-Wave Home Energy Meter (2nd Edition)

Have some concern with its accuracy.... I have not installed it yet...

Devoir

Comment

I have an older Aeotec 9104ZWUS Smart Energy Monitor. I have been using it for a year. Below is a graph comparing the values from the Aeotec to the values from my power company. The correlation is excellent but the Aeotec values are 43% higher than those from the power company. I don't know why. I have posted this question in the past, but I have never received an explanation.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I saw the sense on "Ask This Old House" a few weeks ago and was intrigued, so I contacted the developers.

They said they are still working on the core product so they have not released an API yet, however, they are considering it for the future and just added IFTTT integration. They're working on a web app as well. I'm thinking if they have a web app, someone here can figure out how to pull data from it.

I think the product looks very promising. The segment from This Ask This Old House is available here: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/...rical-metering
        John
        Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
        Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
        HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
        Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

I've seen a number of posts on reddit and other places indicating that it doesn't pick up a lot o loads well or at all. There are a few similar systems on the market and they all appear to have the same problem.
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Sense

Sense just offer me addition 30 days on the money back refund (for total of 60 days).
            I thinking about ordering it. If I'm not happy I will send it back.

Btw, I also heard about the issue of Sense not detecting smaller load. The feedback that I have seen is that people are not patient enough and it takes the Sense a while to identify the smaller load.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by ray View Post
              Sense just offer me addition 30 days on the money back refund (for total of 60 days).
              I thinking about ordering it. If I'm not happy I will send it back.

Btw, I also heard about the issue of Sense not detecting smaller load. The feedback that I have seen is that people are not patient enough and it takes the Sense a while to identify the smaller load.

Ray
              I've seen reports of it not picking up large loads like refrigerators too. Small loads only I could understand. I personally prefer something that measures each load specifically. The technology has promise, but I'm not sure it's ready yet.

Cheers
              Al
              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Does the Sense module work with HS?

Comment

I Have (some) Sense

I installed Sense about six weeks ago. It took a week to recognize anything and has been slow to add devices, but it seems to be getting there. So Far it has recognized 12 devices. I have not been able to figure out all of them (it recognizes a 'type' of device and then the user is left to determine the actual device.) I seem to have a 10 watt motor that runs sometimes and I have not figured that one out. It may be part of the refrigerator - I have a Sub Zero and it has several fans and may have different compressors for the fridge and freezer, not sure yet.
                  I do like it and it has pointed the way towards a couple of places that I can save energy - especially by turning off the electric water heater when we are away (I know - rather obvious, but Sense really shows what a big load this is.)
                  I would love to see a HomeSeer integration for monitoring energy usage and possibly for creating events based upon usage by different appliances.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                    I've seen reports of it not picking up large loads like refrigerators too. Small loads only I could understand. I personally prefer something that measures each load specifically. The technology has promise, but I'm not sure it's ready yet.

Cheers
                    Al
                    It seems like the size of the load is not relevant in my experience. From what I have read it is the 'signature' of the load that allows it to be recognized. Although even that seems strange to me as my Sense has picked up 4 different lights. I have not yet determined which lights all of them are (I have been away from the house) but it could be that they have differing numbers/types of bulbs in them.

I have read that they are developing a 'teach me' or learn functionality. That would be great. I would have no problem with going around the house, turning things on and off and naming them. So far, you can't really do that.

In my case it has not yet recognized the microwave, washer, dryer, or dishwasher. All of which seem to be pretty distinct types of loads (though I am not an expert.) It has recognized the broiler element in the oven (odd - after one use), water heater, well pump, basement freezer, refrigerator (I think), refrigerator light (one of the first recognized), in addition to four other lights and a couple of other, unidentified items.

I agree that the technology is not quite there yet, but I am hoping that as more people use it and input their devices the Sense team will be able to improve their recognition algorithms.

Comment

I really like the idea of Sense, but am concerned that the promise doesn't match with the execution, especially if you compare it to something that is a little less "intelligent", but potentially more reliable, like Curb.

I may post another thread on Curb to cast a wider net, but was wondering if any of you considered curb before going down the path of sense. I am trying to decide between these systems.

Comment

Anyone using this device?

Looking for real-world feedback from someone using it currently.

I've read several reviews on their forum (can read but they will not allow non-owners to post) ... and I'm seeing very mixed reviews on Device Detection (working well vs almost not at all, and in between) so I'm hesitant. Though, they do have a 60 day guarantee/refund, I might take them up on it.

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by airedale View Post
                          I really like the idea of Sense, but am concerned that the promise doesn't match with the execution, especially if you compare it to something that is a little less "intelligent", but potentially more reliable, like Curb.

I may post another thread on Curb to cast a wider net, but was wondering if any of you considered curb before going down the path of sense. I am trying to decide between these systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                            Anyone using this device?
                            Looking for real-world feedback from someone using it currently.
                            Yes, I know this is an old thread but I see this coming up multiple times here in the forum so here's my current take: I have one - had had it for at least 3 years. It's detected maybe 20% of the stuff in my house, if that. It got the big loads pretty quick - HVAC, motors inside of appliances, etc. It picked up a fluorescent light in a closet right away. A few years later I moved that light to the basement and now it no longer detects it.

It has promise, but they obviously need a way to help "train" it to see devices. In another thread here someone mentioned you can use a "smart plug" to help train it - I check on their site from time to time to see if they have added ways to do just this; maybe I missed it? I'm checking again here in a few minutes.

But overall I'm pretty disappointed. It is great at the overall power utilization and if it happens to detect loads you care about then it can be great. I do think they have some of the best solar reporting for those with solar - but it's pretty expensive for just an overall power monitor.

Comment

Working...
                            X