Key fob to control virtual device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key fob to control virtual device

Hi. I have just added a zwave.me key fob to my system. While I can control another physical zwave device eg dimmer on lamp, I can't find a way to be able to press a button to control a virtual device

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

This is a popular "issue" that comes up when people buy keyfobs and remotes. Most of these were designed to control other Z-Wave devices as you have discovered, but fail miserably at being able to send discrete signals to a controller like HomeSeer. If the device has 10 buttons, it can still only send one type of signal that appears the same to HomeSeer whether it was sent from button 1 or button 10. A manufacturer (Aeon) has put support in for a special feature to allow the buttons to work with HomeSeer, but it is only one device that I am aware of.

To get the single button functionality working with HomeSeer, it depends on how the remote was created. If it uses associations and you have a way to press a button repeatedly (and quickly) or some other way to keep the remote awake, you can set up an association between the remote and HomeSeer to get that one signal. If the remote has instructions that say to press the include button on the device (the same thing you do when you are adding it to your network) then on the controller management page, there is a function called "HomeSeer 'Include' Button" which will do this.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Ok thanks Rick.

Comment

Working...
      X