Discovers Sonos devices, does't work at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovers Sonos devices, does't work at all

Any advice? I've tried reinstalling the module multiple times, disabling and restarting, and nothing seems to work. There is no red X to uninstall it like the other modules.

Once every 10 or so times it works briefly, but then I can't get it to work again.

I'm running on Linux.

Alternatively, is there any way to fully purge it so I can reinstall clean? I thought I did that a couple times, but the decides came back with names I ha assigned them before, so something just have been lingering.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Originally posted by AbMagFAb View Post
    Any advice? I've tried reinstalling the module multiple times, disabling and restarting, and nothing seems to work. There is no red X to uninstall it like the other modules.

Once every 10 or so times it works briefly, but then I can't get it to work again.

I'm running on Linux.

Alternatively, is there any way to fully purge it so I can reinstall clean? I thought I did that a couple times, but the decides came back with names I ha assigned them before, so something just have been lingering.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    If you delete the .ini file (in the config subdir), it should upon start-up, delete all HS devices and recreate all.

HOWEVER, can you be more specific on "it briefly works", what does that mean? Can you describe which platform you are running this on? Does it have enough CPU/memory horsepower? a VM?

Dirk

Comment

Running on a Mac, native (not a VM).

Deleting the INI file doesn't help.

Some examples of not working:
      - The Sonos devices don't get created, even though I can click on "view sonos devices" and they are all listed there (so the plug in can find them)
      - The time counter for the Sonos device (when they once in a while do get created) constantly ticks up like it's playing, but that doesn't match the actual Sonos device
      - None of the controls in HS3 actually do anything to effect the Sonos device
      - Changing the Sonos device directly isn't reflected in HS3

In terms of actually working, that's happened only twice, and I've been unable to recreate whatever set of circumstances caused it to work. It was some random combination of starting/stopping the module and reinstalling the module.

Right now I'm in a state where I manually deleted the Sonos HS3 entries, reinstalled the Sonos module, and now none of the Sonos devices are being created in HS3.

Basically it behaves in very inconsistent and very unpredictable ways.

Does that help diagnose?

Comment

Running on a Mac, native (not a VM).

Deleting the INI file doesn't help.

Some examples of not working:
        - The Sonos devices don't get created, even though I can click on "view sonos devices" and they are all listed there (so the plug in can find them)
        - The time counter for the Sonos device (when they once in a while do get created) constantly ticks up like it's playing, but that doesn't match the actual Sonos device
        - None of the controls in HS3 actually do anything to effect the Sonos device
        - Changing the Sonos device directly isn't reflected in HS3

In terms of actually working, that's happened only twice, and I've been unable to recreate whatever set of circumstances caused it to work. It was some random combination of starting/stopping the module and reinstalling the module.

Right now I'm in a state where I manually deleted the Sonos HS3 entries, reinstalled the Sonos module, and now none of the Sonos devices are being created in HS3.

Basically it behaves in very inconsistent and very unpredictable ways.

Does that help diagnose?
        Interesting, you might be the first one to run this actually on a MAC. So for my newbie question: how do you do this? What version of Mono and/or other components need to be installed to make this work?

The PI was written a long time ago for windows relying on VB.NET and makes quite a lot of use of .NET functions so I wonder how compatible the MONO version you have is. Good news is that I actually have an older macbook pro so I can try to replicate your setup if you can walk me through, step-by-step on how to install everything.

Some remarks on the issues you see:
        - Let's start with the biggest no-no, don't delete manually devices from HS, it will make the HS DB and the PI DB incompatible. If you want to delete devices, there is a delete option in the PI itself. Unfortunately (at least under windows) something changed in the HS3 behavior recently and I noted that the "delete all players" wasn't working properly anymore; something I fixed in v.15
        - When you get in a state where you suspect incompatibility between HS and the PI (perhaps you copied HS DB from somewhere else), delete the .ini file, it will delete all HS devices that are "belonging" to the Sonos PI and subsequently start the discovery process again. NOTE, all .ini files are cached by HS3, so this ONLY works when HS3 is stopped!!!
        - I've struggled in this version (but thought it was fixed now), that the first time a player is discovered on occasion it wouldn't be added to HS. A restart of the PI or HS typically fixes that. If you manually deleted the player devices from HS itself, this would be the reason why they are not recreated because the PI thinks they are already created.
        - It also appears that events are not showing up (time counters counting for wrong states), which I've seen over the years ONLY just after a restart of the PI. If you change the state of the device aka play something, from then on out it should work properly. So you may either not get state updates at all or next time you see it, play something on that player and see if now all is in sync, especially for grouped players.
        - You write that none of the controls in HS do anything nor that changing the Sonos devices show up in HS. Could be because the DBs are out of sync, but I suspect that this PI may have issues working on a MAC. The fact that you can see the devices in the UPNP viewer is actually very encouraging, at least some of the multicast/broadcasting is working as it should. The player do show up in HS3 so the eventing from the UPNP system seems to work. Perhaps it is all just a DB mismatch

So could you post here step by step how you installed HS, other components etc. I can try to replicate.

What would also help is some traces. If you could turn the Sonos PI debug flag on and restart the PI, let it come up for 2 minutes, change some Sonos devices (tell me what you did at which timestamp) and click on some HS devices, we can have a look at what we see in the log. Did you ever see errors? Post the COMPLETE log-file.

Dirk

Comment

I'll send you more detailed information about my setup when I get back home, but I did the following and it seems to be working right now:
          - Disabled PI
          - Shutdown HS3
          - Deleted just the INI
          - Restarted HS3
          - Enabled PI

Then waited. After a little while it recreated the devices, and at least one of them is working properly.

Last time I shutdown and restarted HS3 after it started work it then promptly stopped working, so still need to test that but wanted to see if it was stable while up and running.

FWIW, I just used the instructions/install from the HS download page and main Mac post, which I think was just a vanilla Mono install and then a normal HS3 install.

Comment

Okay, it died again after a restart of HS. So it seems it doesn't survive a restart of HS no matter what. Once it was working, it worked all day, but immediately went back to the old behavior after a restart - that is, showing all players under config, but not reacting to any changes and not actually controlling any Sonos, and showing the time ticking up even though nothing is going on.

I'm going to try a simplified series of steps to see if I can get it working again in a repeatable way.

But would really like this fixed and able to survive a restart!

Comment

Okay, after a restart of HS, I have to:
              1) Stop Sonos PI
              2) Stop HS (remove all cached items)
              3) Start HS
              4) Reinstall PI
              5) Stop HS
              6) Delete INI
              7) Start HS
              8) Delete all Sonos devices manually
              9) Start PI
              10) Fix all events since Sonos devices changed

This is repeatable but seems excessive. But nothing else works.

Any thoughts on making this work more reliably?

Comment

Any thoughts on making this work more reliably?
                Between the HS2 and HS3 versions, there are probably about a 1000 users so I would state that the PI works.

So the question is: why doesn't it work reliably on your system. Maybe it is a MAC thing after all. If it was a Windows machine, I would categorically say, check the firewall settings. I have no experience w/ MACs in that respect.

So how about you start one more time from scratch, ie: stop HS3, delete the INI file, restart again. Once up and running, turn the PI debug flag on, restart HS3, let it all come up, if it doesn't work, post FULL log file from start of HS3 until all up and describe what you did at what time that didn't work.

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
                  Between the HS2 and HS3 versions, there are probably about a 1000 users so I would state that the PI works.

So the question is: why doesn't it work reliably on your system. Maybe it is a MAC thing after all. If it was a Windows machine, I would categorically say, check the firewall settings. I have no experience w/ MACs in that respect.

So how about you start one more time from scratch, ie: stop HS3, delete the INI file, restart again. Once up and running, turn the PI debug flag on, restart HS3, let it all come up, if it doesn't work, post FULL log file from start of HS3 until all up and describe what you did at what time that didn't work.

Dirk
                  I would have responded sooner, but I'm unable to get the Sonos PI to work again. It creates one device called Master, that intiializes for a little bit then says connected, but nothing else after that. It shows all the proper Sonos devices under show all devices, but never adds them to HS3 anymore. Following my above steps isn't repeatable like I thought.

It seems there's some other caching ongoing on, any advice on how to totally clear the Sonos PI? I really wish there was a red X like with all the other plug ins.

Comment

Okay, I give up. This PI is pretty much useless on Linus/Mac. Super unreliable, super inconsistent, and no way to clean up and start from scratch. Maybe it's fine on windows, but given how many of the other plug ins are working well on both, I doubt it's as solid as you indicate.

I would strongly recommend removing from the Linux beta list until you've actually tested it and get some feedback from real users. The amount of time I've wasted on this is silly, and we should save others for wasting their time.

Comment

To that end, would you mind posting instructions on how to fully remove this PI? Since it has no red X, there's no way to do it from the web interface. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X