This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PLM Coming?!

I received an e-mail today from Smarthome inviting me to participate in a Beta test of a new Insteon PLM -

"You have been selected to participate in our beta test of the PowerLinc - INSTEON Power Line Modem, USB (PLM-USB) because of your Homeseer purchase. Thank you for your participation! "

I don't use Insteon any more as many of you know but you may want to look into it.

Neil
    Last edited by neiltimms; January 17, 2008, 08:12 PM.
    Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Some more info -

Following our invitation to apply for the PowerLinc - INSTEON Power Line Modem, USB (PLM-USB) beta test, we received a number of applications and we thank you for your interest!
    We also received a number of questions that this email aims to answer.
    The PLM-USB is an interface to your network connecting to your PC/Mac. An application such as Homeseer, talks to the PLM-USB and sends messages onto the network.
    The PLM-USB has the same functionality as the currently shipping PLM-Serial (2412S) except that it connects via USB to your PC/Mac. It also has an extended memory and is able to contain about 4 times more links then the currently shipping PLM-Serial.
    It has both INSTEON and X10 support.
    Note: we will not provide compatible software to test this unit as it is a requirement to qualify for the program.
    It is different then the PLC (2414S and 2414U), the PLM being a passthrough while the PLC can act as a controller. The PLM also does not contain an internal application and the commands, handled by an application such as Homeseer, are different.
    Lastly, you will be notified if you qualify for the beta test as well as the next steps following your responses to our survey (link below) and the scope of our beta test.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by neiltimms View Post
      The PLM also does not contain an internal application and the commands, handled by an application such as Homeseer, are different.
      what does that mean?
      does that mean ... if you join the beta.... you get the plm and they make you interface it with homeseer or other software? im not a programmer so that wouldnt work...

or are they saying that you setup the new usb plm and tell them how it works?
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

They want you to test the PLM for them with software like HomeSeer and the free Insteon Plugin, no programming required.

Part of the deal is that you pay for the device and after testing and replying to 3 surveys they will refund your purchase.
        HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

Originally posted by misraels View Post
          They want you to test the PLM for them with software like HomeSeer and the free Insteon Plugin, no programming required.

Part of the deal is that you pay for the device and after testing and replying to 3 surveys they will refund your purchase.
          Correct, that's what they offered me. But i no longer use Insteon so i won't be signing up

Comment

Well, having 4x more links might solve most of my problems (except the paddle switches that have failed all over the place, but that's been beat to death here...).

I was thinking about the problems with Insteon over this past weekend, and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the 417 link limit is the chief problem wtih this design. I reduced links like mad using the plugin a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had a problem with lockups since. Of course, I now have several devices / scenes for which I'd like to add these links back, but can't, until I can get a PLM that can take a reasonable number of links.

Thanks for posting.
            Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Do you know what Firare option they are up to?? The last I hear was 62

Comment

firmware 63 is the one being sold now - said to support 2000 links - i guess time will tell if it will work or its just another craplinc

Comment

This is being sold?? Was a posting just a few days ago or maybe a week prior about solicitations from SH to test a beta unit?

Comment

http://www.smarthome.com/2412s.html

the bullets at the top say

Easy, trouble-free serial connection
                    Powerline interface uses simple RS-232 commands, allowing any device with a programmable serial port to send INSTEON commands
                    Interface supports INSTEON extended messages
                    Now Supports 2000+ links

in the spec section shows

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=600 border=2><TBODY><TR><TD width="30%">INSTEON Links:</TD><TD width="70%">417 out of 16,777,216 possible</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

but i suspect they forgot to update that section

digger is trying one now and reporting his fingings here

http://www.accessha.com/

he said the firmware is 63

Comment

It has nothing to do with the firmware. They are starting to build units with more memory. Until you hit over 150 devices you won't be close to the current link limit.

The newer firmware jams less, but it still happens.

The USB PIM is pretty much the same as the serial. It has a USB to serial device internally. You install the driver and it makes a virtual serial port.

Jon

Originally posted by sloop View Post
                      http://www.smarthome.com/2412s.html

the bullets at the top say

Easy, trouble-free serial connection
                      Powerline interface uses simple RS-232 commands, allowing any device with a programmable serial port to send INSTEON commands
                      Interface supports INSTEON extended messages
                      Now Supports 2000+ links

in the spec section shows

<table border="2" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr><td width="30%">INSTEON Links:</td><td width="70%">417 out of 16,777,216 possible</td></tr></tbody></table>

but i suspect they forgot to update that section

digger is trying one now and reporting his fingings here

http://www.accessha.com/

he said the firmware is 63
                      Jon Ort
                      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

is SH upgrading those of us poor saps with older PLM's for free?
                        -Christopher
                        PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

If your PLM is still under warranty, then yes they are. My new PLM is in transit. I simply sent them an email stating that my PLM had the lockup problem and they sent me a RMA #. No charge at all, they even pay for shipping back the old PLM to them. No hassles, just friendly and prompt.
                          Bryan
                          Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
                          Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

Does the latest version of the PLM firmware address the PLM Jam issue? I frequently experience jams and have resorted to 1.5 second delays between button presses and event actions.

Comment

Hi Jon,

Is this "it" then - does this work? Will this mean HS will have you start work again on the Plug-in?.......................................?????

Or, is the PLM still under development? Why are they shipping it if it still locks up? Does anyone know the Firmware Version of what is shipping?

Is the USB version posted and selling?

Comment

Working...
                              X