X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Watch Tonight's Lunar Eclipse - April 14, 2014

How to Watch Tonight's Lunar Eclipse - April 14, 2014

By Evan Dashevsky

Our handy guide to watching all of tonight's hot Earth-on-Moon action.

How to Watch The Lunar Eclipse

Later tonight, those of us in North America will have a front-row seat for a total lunar eclipse taking place in the wee hours of the night.

The celestial action will begin at 12:54 a.m. ET and last through 6:38 a.m. However, the moon will fall completely behind the Earth's shadow between 3:07 a.m. and 4:25 a.m.

A lunar eclipse is the result of the moon passing through the Earth's shadow. During a total eclipse the moon will appear to dim as it passes through the Earth's penumbra (part of the shadow where some solar light can still pass) before diving into the umbra where light refracted through the Earth's atmosphere makes the moon appear a deep shade of red (thus why total lunar eclipses are sometimes referred to as a "blood moon").

Weather permitting, the eclipse will be visible with the naked eye, however a set of binoculars or backyard telescope should make the action appear all that more vivid. Learn more in the video below. Shutterbugs hoping to capture the eclipse should check out PCMag's 6 Tips for Better Moon Photos.

Getting more out of the experience

If you want to get a bit more science into the experience, NASA astronomer Mitzi Adams and astrophysicist Alphonse Sterling will answer questions during a live Web chat on Nasa.gov beginning at 1 a.m. ET and continuing through the end of the eclipse.

If you aren't in the eclipse viewing area or the cloud gods won't cooperate, you can watch a livestream on NASA's live Ustream as well as on communal telescope organization, Slooh's live YouTube feed (embedded below). In addition, Slooh will offer coverage through its iPad Celestial Event Viewer (free on iTunes).

If you happen to miss this eclipse, don't worry, there will be a second total lunar eclipse visible from North America on Oct. 8.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456377,00.asp

BTW I have joined those live Web chats on NASA dot gov; very neato stuff...
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Pete,
    Are there any tips for how to watch through the clouds?

We had a beautiful moon last night, but clouds and rain predicted for tonight.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yup there are no tips to watch through the clouds other than a virtual watch on the internet.

It was windy and and cloudy and rainy here yesterday. Temps dropped from almost 70 to 50 in the afternoon for about one hour or so.

Same weather here today except temperatures are dropping fast. The plants are confused these days.

Looking right now its clear; but "weather is coming" with snow right now in the Northwestern part of Illinois.

Maybe it'll be early evening stuff.

Maybe I will just stay indoors; watch a live view on the Internet and participate in the chat.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Pete; April 14, 2014, 02:31 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Well, I wasn't planning to be up, but I was anyway. I figured what the heck, and went outside. I couldn't get out any bigger lens setup out without waking the house, but here is what I got with 200mm, 1.3 seconds, iso 100, f2.8 after cropping. Just a single frame here, no stacking, HDR, or anything, although I bumped a few sliders in Lightroom a bit before cropping and exporting. This export is downscaled a bit to 720p, but the original after cropping is just over 1080p.

I will be on the lookout for some shots I am sure someone made up closer to 1000mm, and stacked, or otherwise digitally reconstructed for detail. They should be great.
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice!
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
          X