www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > General Home Automation > Off Topic

Off Topic Post your jokes, funny stories, current events and antecdotes here.

Old May 26th, 2014, 06:55 PM
OverSeer

Report: Apple to Take on Home Automation with “Smart Home” Platform at WWDC

Report:

Apple to Take on Home Automation with “Smart Home” Platform at WWDC

Brandon Hill (Blog) - May 26, 2014 2:11 PM

Apple looks to bring home automation functionality to iOS 8

Google made a big push into the home automation market earlier this year when it acquired Nest Labs for $3.2 billion. The purchase gave Google access to the engineers behind the popular Nest Learning Thermostat and the controversial Nest Protect smoke/carbon monoxide detector.

We are now hearing word from Financial Times that Apple is looking to enter the home automation space with a “Smart Home” initiative that will kick off next month at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC). The details of Apple’s system were first revealed in a patent filing last year, but the time is now for Apple to introduce the functionality according to Financial Times.

The earlier filing (Patent No. 8,577,392) described how an iPhone or iPad could be used to control “lighting systems, security systems, garage-door openers, music controllers, climate controllers, or kitchen appliances” – in fact it could be similar in scope to AirPlay and iBeacon, but geared towards home automation products and appliances.

Apple sees its Smart Home system as being superior to other “automatic operations” that are currently on the market:

Automatic operations are frequently sub-optimal due to variations in a person's daily routines. A person can leave work at different times each day, can encounter different traffic patterns, or can exhibit different hunger levels. Thus, unpredictable events and emotions can make it difficult to establish automatic operations that consistently produce desired results.

The Financial Times gives the example of how a homeowner’s lights could be turned simply by entering the home with an iPhone in his or her pocket.

Apple filed a patent in November 2013 which describes its vision for home automation with a "first device" -- iPhone, iPad -- controlling a "second device" like a television, light switch, or home security system.

Apple is reportedly talking to several manufacturers that make “smart” products and appliances that will be certified for use with Smart Home. Apple is looking to make all of its iOS-based devices (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Apple TV) compliant with Smart Home in an effort to lock more people into its ecosystem.

http://www.dailytech.com/Report+Appl...icle34960c.htm

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT
Old May 26th, 2014, 07:43 PM
OverSeer

It's probably going to be the fanciest light switch remote control on the market. Little more though.
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:27 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
an effort to lock more people into its ecosystem.
Yeah here have never been much of an Apple person.

That said many folks will probably gravitate to this stuff like ants to a picnic.

Last edited by Pete; May 27th, 2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:22 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
The earlier filing (Patent No. 8,577,392) described how an iPhone or iPad could be used to control “lighting systems, security systems, garage-door openers, music controllers, climate controllers, or kitchen appliances”
What a great idea! Why didn't somebody else think of that first
UltraGCIR GC-100|UltraNetcam|UltraPioneer|Ultra1Wire|DSC PC1832|BLLED|BLTVGuide|ImperiHome|jon00 Utilities|MySensors

PHLocation|X10 CM11A IOLinc,etc
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:11 AM
OverSeer

Apple has the muscle to bring home automation from hobby to mainstream! Keep in mind that Apple is looking for ways to sell more iPhones. If their product provides elegant home automation features that are not available on competitive phones, it will give them a significant competitive advantage. I think this could be a huge boost for HA. I for one would love the ability to reliably control lighting, HVAC, garage door, and security functions based on the presence or absence on an iOS device. The Jon00 Bluetooth detector plugin is a big step in that direction. But if Apple is serious about home automation, I think they will offer some extremely attractive bundles that include telephone, home entertainment, and home automation.

But for those of us home automation "hobby" purists, have a look at this:

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Seer Master

Yeah if Apple is able to make presence/absences of user using ibeacon or wifi that in itself will be a big a seamless step forward for HA. I still haven't been able to get accuracy using existing GPS and Bluetooth scripts/plugins.

Tom
HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:23 PM
OverSeer

Yup; MS mobile was already doing that in the early 2000's and Google has been doing this now for a few years.

It really depends on the transport and methodologies utilized for use of tracking et al.

Then again if Apple reinvents it and patents it; then will have been first.
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:23 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
Yeah if Apple is able to make presence/absences of user using ibeacon or wifi that in itself will be a big a seamless step forward for HA. I still haven't been able to get accuracy using existing GPS and Bluetooth scripts/plugins.

Tom
Why not use WiFi now? I'm doing this with BLLan personally but there are other plugins that will do this also.
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:31 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Why not use WiFi now?
Cuz all you can really do with one antenna for WiFi is maybe get signal strength and best guess distance from one device and one antenna.

The use of GPS and Cellular radio antennas lets you triangulate position way better.

IE: using Google maps and my cell phone with GPS I can see "me/cell phone" within just a few feet outside anywhere but not inside my home.

Still sort of works using just the cellular towers for position and historicals for GPS as I played with this in the early 2000's using Microsoft mobile applications.

Thing is I do not carry my mobile phone around the house with me; never really did.

Some folks carry and sleep with their mobile phones though and that is a bit different.

Thinking though folks will gladly pay $200 + for a wireless PIR sensor or automation light switch sold by Apple.

I mean that they paid the same for a wireless smoke detector for the Nest; such that the "formula" works.

Well on a tangent here I did notice an awe of a couple of folks in front of the Nest display at the local big box hardware store; they did almost genuflect right there in the isle next to the display. I should have taken a picture as it was more amazing to watch then the display itself.

Last edited by Pete; May 27th, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
Why not use WiFi now? I'm doing this with BLLan personally but there are other plugins that will do this also.
Is this accurate. Are there an false positives/readings ?

Tom
Old May 27th, 2014, 12:58 PM
OverSeer

Yeah... I knew this was going to come a long time ago. I'll put money on it that they will own a big piece of the market. Why you ask??? Their aim is to make it easy. Watch out HS... they're coming for you!

Rob
HS3PRO 3.0.0.435 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dot, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.
Old May 27th, 2014, 02:01 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
Is this accurate. Are there an false positives/readings ?

Tom

Well, like Pete says, all it lets you know is that the person's phone is connected. That being said, I have been using this technique for over a year now to detect when family members are home quite successfully. I create a virtual device for each person. When they connect it turns the device on. When they disconnect it waits 5 - 10 minutes and if they don't reconnect it turns the device off. It does a great job of keeping the house from doing things that my wife get's infuriated by.
Old May 27th, 2014, 02:06 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenet View Post
Their aim is to make it easy.
They do, but they will make it so fantastic easy, that the light switch is just that: A light switch. Just not to confuse anybody...
HSPro 3.0.0.435, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Seer Master

That is exactly what I want. Apple telling me what I can and cannot automate and "Helping" me do it correctly.
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Seer Deluxe

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Yeah here have never been much of an Apple person.

That said many folks will probably gravitate to this stuff like ants to a picnic.
Could not have said it Better. Amen!
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Seer Deluxe

I wonder what Savant thinks of this move?
Old May 28th, 2014, 11:43 AM
OverSeer

Some interesting news this morning....and yesterday

IPhone Hacked in Australia and a bit of New Zealand
By tech2 News Staff / 28 May 2014 , 14:51

Quote:
A day after Australian and some New Zealander iPhone owners started reporting about a remote iPhone hack, Apple has released an official statement in response to the attacks and in order to calm down users.

In a short statement, Apple maintained that iCloud, which is the lynchpin for most Apple services, and also controls device activation and data wiping, was not compromised. Apple said in a statement on ZDnet, “Apple takes security very seriously and iCloud was not compromised during this incident. Impacted users should change their Apple ID password as soon as possible and avoid using the same user name and password for multiple services. Any users who need additional help can contact AppleCare or visit their local Apple Retail Store.”

Earlier this week, users in Australia took to the official Apple forums to complain about their iPhones being hacked, bricked and held for ransom by a hacker going by the name of Oleg Pliss. The message instructed owners to transfer money to a PayPal account to get their device back, though the PayPal account itself didn’t exist. Users who had two-factor authentication turned on were fortunate enough to avoid this.

It is still unclear how ‘Pliss’ managed to tap in to so many iPhones remotely. One theory goes that the hacker was able to access a separately maintained database of iPhone users where they could see the usernames and passwords. With the recent eBay hacking case, and the major Heartbleed threat, Internet security has come under a lot of scrutiny and this latest hack will no doubt add more speculation as to how reliable online services really are.
http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...le-224588.html

iPhones, iPads Hacked And Held For Ransom In Australia And New Zealand By 'Oleg Pliss'
The Huffington Post | By Ed Mazza
Posted: 05/27/2014 2:02 am EDT Updated: 05/27/2014 3:59 pm EDT

Quote:
Many iPhone and iPad owners in Australia woke early Tuesday to a strange sound, but it wasn't an alarm. It was an alert from a hacker who had seized control and locked their devices.

Those affected discovered a message on the screen reading "Device hacked by Oleg Pliss" and a demand of between $50 and $100 to unlock it. (It should be noted that there are a number of people online named Oleg Pliss, but that hackers are unlikely to use a real name.)

It's not clear how many people have been affected, but the Sydney Morning Herald reported problems from Apple customers in Queensland, New South Wales, Western Australia, South Australia and Victoria. ITWire reported that some users in New Zealand were also hacked.

The hack appeared to exploit the "Find My iPhone" feature, which allows users to remotely lock their iPhones and iPads via iCloud in case the devices are lost or stolen.

Apple has yet to comment, but users have reported several possible workarounds. Those who had already set up passcodes found they could regain control of their devices by connecting to iTunes on a computer and restoring them from a backup, ZDNet reports.

Those who hadn't set up passcodes had a tougher time, as the hacker then created one. But in those cases, it may be possible to enter the wrong code six times to disable the phone and then restore it using iTunes.

This thread from Apple's online support forum offers some more tips for those affected by the Oleg Pliss hack.

In the meantime, it might be a good idea to set up a passcode if you haven't already done so, change your iCloud password and consider using Apple's two-step verification.
Cyberattack that locked Apple devices in Australia reaches US
~12:00 Central time, 28th of May 2014

Last edited by Pete; May 28th, 2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:52 PM
Seer Master

Hopefully HomeSeer will update the HSTouch app to leverage the new homekit for ios8

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-intro...kit-for-ios-8/
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:27 PM
Seer Master

It would be nice to see some more elegant ios integration. Siri is obviously the elephant in the room but there's so much more potential. Now that they've opened the app sandboxes we might see the same functionality that the Rube Goldberg android solutions offer.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:11 AM
Seer Master

I'm looking forward to Homekit. I think it's going to be bad news (unfortunately) for companies like HomeSeer. As much as I like HS, I'm not happy with HSTouch, the whole HS3 upgrade path and timetable (STILL waiting for a new version of HSTouch).

When I started with HS, I was very happy that I could get a Kindle fire for $200. An iPad with decent out was over $600 and is way too big for most locations I want to deploy. However, the mini has changed that somewhat. I'm willing to go to $400 if I can get a real good solution.

What will swing it for me, is if something comes out that supports my z-wave devices, IP and RS232 interfaces (dead easy if it's on OSX and there's a scripting interface) and better integration with Apps. For example, instead of having to use a Sonos plug-in, let me click a button that opens Sonos controller (ideally within some kind of frame), and have a mechanism to switch back to the HA home screen without having to "switch apps". Also, provide an interface where I can send transport control commands so that (for example) my "Bedtime" event can turn off the Sonos system. (Assumes Sonos controller supports AppleEvents of whatever derigeur is in OS X).

I'm not expecting anything worth installing coming to market within the next 12 months, but it's an interesting space to watch. Conceivable perceptive automation (indigo) could bring something to market more quickly given their experience with OS X and HA.

Regards

Mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
USB UIRT
Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
2GIG Thermostat
BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
BLUPS
UltraLog (SQL2008)
Jon00 Plugins
Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
Global Cache IP2IR
Foscam FI8918W