X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TouchPad Messaging?

Christian,

I like your Message Server plugin. Tried it a while back and liked it but my daughter didn't like running it on her P90MHz 40MB RAM PC. She said it slowed down AIM (being a parent, I consider that a good thing ).

It is running on my CF-01 touchscreen PC running Windows 95. I am now using my CF-01 almost exclusively with the new HS TouchPad plugin.

I was wondering if you thought it might be a good idea to add a HTML page message feature where the page is designed to work with the TouchPad plugin. So, rather than a balloon or message box, MS could push a TouchPad web page containing the message. The web page would use the currently configured TouchPad skin. The page would either timeout or have a button. Either of which does a history.goback to get you back to the previously displayed web page.

P.S. Post thoughts you have on DM in its forum.

Jim Doolittle
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

Jim,

I would love to support TouchPad plugin but I don’t see anything that I can do for a message with the TouchPad plugin template at lease for now.

If you can point me something that I may miss I will work on this for sure and I’m also looking forward for HS 1.7. I hope new stuff will be available for plugin developer.

Regards,
    Christian

Comment

Christian,

I think you can do this already without waiting for a TouchPad developer kit. Build an ASP as follows:
      <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
      s = ""
      s = s & "&lt;%= hs.Plugin(""Touchpad"").BuildPageHeader(""Custom Page"") %&gt;" & vbCrLf
      s = s & "&lt;p&gt;" & MessageToSend & "&lt;/p&gt;" & vbCrLf
      s = s & "&lt;INPUT TYPE=""button"" VALUE="" BACK "" onClick=""history.go(-1)""&gt;" & vbCrLf
      s = s & "&lt;%= hs.Plugin(""Touchpad"").BuildPageFooter %&gt;"
      </pre>
      Save the string to an .ASP page, send physical page to client, tell client to show page. User reads message that has same look-and-feel as their TouchPad screen and then clicks the back button (or let the displayed button name be "OK").

If the user specified a timed message then use:
      <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
      s = ""
      s = s & "&lt;%= hs.Plugin(""Touchpad"").BuildPageHeader(""Custom Page"") %&gt;" & vbCrLf
      s = s & "&lt;script language=""JavaScript""&gt;" & vbCrlf
      s = s & "timer1 = setTimeout('history.go(-1)'," & waitsecs & ");" & vbCrLf
      s = s & "&lt;/script&gt;" & vbCrLf
      s = s & "&lt;p&gt;" & MessageToSend & "&lt;/p&gt;"
      s = s & "&lt;%= hs.Plugin(""Touchpad"").BuildPageFooter %&gt;"
      </pre>

I don't know if this is the best approach but it should be close.

Jim Doolittle
      Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
      My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim,

Yes this will be a way to go but I will need to tweak a bit the way it works for sending message. Instead of sending a message to a client I will have to hold the message and notify the client that a message is available.

This will not be available in the next beta release but I will start adding this new function next week.

Thanks,
        Christian

Comment

No hurry. It was just a thought I had when I was playing with my TouchPad screen and received a message from Message Server.

Jim Doolittle
          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
          My Hardware & Software

Comment

Working...
          X