www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion

Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion Lighting & Primary Technology General Discussion

Old December 15th, 2016, 03:19 PM
OverSeer

New Z-Wave toolbox

I don't want to promote another company's products, but I got an email from a supplier promoting a new Z-Wave toolbox module that looks very promising. It has a packet analyzer, a spectrum analyzer, a network health tester and can create a graphical representation of the network topology.

It is very similar to the Pi based professional unit we saw here recently, though this one is not built on a Pi. If I remember correctly, the professional unit was only to be sold to members of the Z-Wave alliance. This one is available to end users.

The model number is ZWP-TBX and if you click on the number a Google search will show you the product.

I think it is a little expensive, but sincerely hope that HomeSeer has plans for a similar product - it would help reduce the duration of many headaches.

"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old December 15th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Seer Deluxe

That case looks exactly like a Vera Edge case.
Old December 15th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
[I] sincerely hope that HomeSeer has plans for a similar product - it would help reduce the duration of many headaches.

+1

Enabled Plug-Ins:
  • 2.0.47.0: BLBackup
  • 2.0.22.0: BLUPS
  • 1.2.2.0: Device History
  • 3.6.5.0: Harmony Hub
  • 3.0.0.40 Easy Trigger
  • 3.0.0.104: HSTouch Server
  • 3.0.1.90: PHLocation
  • 3.0.6331.36036: UltraCID3
  • 3.0.5917.35093: UltraLog3
  • 3.0.6542.26784: UltraMon3
  • 3.0.0.76: weatherXML
  • 3.0.1.152: Z-Wave
  • 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer
  • 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+
Old December 15th, 2016, 10:33 PM
Seer Deluxe

Randy,

I also saw this today and then searched and found this thread. I also saw some posts on another site. While I would be happy to pay $250 for a tool that would truly help us identify z-wave issues, a scan of the quick start guide left me wondering if I would know how to interpret the results. They don't post the full manual that I could see.

Hoping someone call tell me whether it comes with "Z-wave troubleshooting for dummies".

Thankfully my Z-wave issues have subsided over the last few months, so no immediate/urgent need.

Regards,
Vector
Old December 15th, 2016, 10:53 PM
OverSeer

I am in the same boat, last year I really could have used the tool. I will regret saying this, but my entire system has been near perfect. The only lingering problem I had was with Z-Net reliability which was cured with the 1.0.21 update. Since that update about 3 months ago, I haven't had a single hiccup of any kind - Z-Wave or any other device.

I do still have occasional periods where Z-Wave response is not as snappy as I would like it, but I am 99% convinced that it is HomeSeer slowing down, not the Z-Wave network or plug-in. Even when the response is occasionally slow, I am speaking of only a second or so. Most of the time all commands are instant.

Number of Devices: 2027
Number of Events: 1447
Z-Wave devices 112
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:02 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post

Number of Devices: 2027
Number of Events: 1447
Z-Wave devices 112
Not meaning to hijack this thread but, this caught my eye as rather impressive. Would be neat to see whats behind all that in terms of new ideas for use.

anyway just a thought lol
Old December 16th, 2016, 09:53 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic860 View Post
Not meaning to hijack this thread but, this caught my eye as rather impressive. Would be neat to see whats behind all that in terms of new ideas for use.

anyway just a thought lol
It wasn't meant to impress, just to show that a "busy" HS system can be reliable. I'll see if I can start another thread to outline the system.
Old December 20th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Viewer

Hello HomeSeer message board. I am the driver behind the ZwaveProducts ToolBox. To answer questions about 'Z-Wave for Dummies' - ZWP is working with anyone who buys a ToolBox to give them the skills to get the most out of the features we worked so hard to offer. Not everything behind HA is straightforward and I think we all need to help each other from time to time.

The instructions are sparse on purpose, because we have no idea of knowing the knowledge level of the intended consumer. Case studies, videos, and a webinar are all in the works to provide the needed support to ToolBox users, and will be tailored to client response.

Yesterday we put up a Facebook Group for the tool, and are working on obtaining space on a third-party forum that will allow users more freedom in sharing ideas and concerns.

I'm glad that you saw our email. Many were sold before the official notification even came out, so that it's clear that this was a product that was needed in the industry. I hope that Homeseer offers tools; seeing what is going on in the network is fundamental to Z-Wave being the best protocol for what it does.

Thanks for allowing me a bit of text to explain. I wish you all the best of luck in your projects. All the best.

-Matthew
Old April 8th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Seer Master

Ok, decided to take the plunge and order one to my Austin office while I'm there next week for a conference (easier than shipping across the border). Guess I'll see how well it works!
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:53 AM
Seer Master

Looks interesting although I do not know if I could understand the results. Is this coming to Europe (UK) ?
Old April 21st, 2017, 01:14 PM
Seer Master

Quick update - received my toolbox and solved an interference issue that had kept my entire z-wave network down for the last week or so. Had my network back up in 30 min. I give the tool a big thumbs up.....
Old May 30th, 2017, 11:21 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDavisZWP View Post
Hello HomeSeer message board. I am the driver behind the ZwaveProducts ToolBox. To answer questions about 'Z-Wave for Dummies' - ZWP is working with anyone who buys a ToolBox to give them the skills to get the most out of the features we worked so hard to offer. Not everything behind HA is straightforward and I think we all need to help each other from time to time.

The instructions are sparse on purpose, because we have no idea of knowing the knowledge level of the intended consumer. Case studies, videos, and a webinar are all in the works to provide the needed support to ToolBox users, and will be tailored to client response.

Yesterday we put up a Facebook Group for the tool, and are working on obtaining space on a third-party forum that will allow users more freedom in sharing ideas and concerns.

I'm glad that you saw our email. Many were sold before the official notification even came out, so that it's clear that this was a product that was needed in the industry. I hope that Homeseer offers tools; seeing what is going on in the network is fundamental to Z-Wave being the best protocol for what it does.

Thanks for allowing me a bit of text to explain. I wish you all the best of luck in your projects. All the best.

-Matthew
Hello, I figured that I have enough invested in ZWave to give the toolbox a try.
I am able to access the toolbox on my iPad but don't understand how to join the Toolbox to HomeSeer to use the Network Health Function.

I know that you press "Learn" then "Add a new device" from HomeSeer.
Is this a new node or a controller function?

Thanks

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave