www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > HomeSeer Z-Wave Plug-in

HomeSeer Z-Wave Plug-in Discussions relating to the Z-Wave plug-in

Old April 18th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Seer Deluxe

WS15Z-1 glitching when being polled?

I had a "bad" node like this in the past and I just eventually replaced it. However I am just sceptical that this is a software z-wave issue as it seems to randomly affect nodes and when the node is on it will flutter on and off when it seems to be polled or when traffic passes through the node. I have no way of verifying this (to my knowledge) but has anyone else had this issue? I'd speculate a hardware failure wouldn't cause a light to flutter off and on but instead go dead or not respond at all. It still accepts z-wave control, but when it's on it has an undesired Halloween effect. Any ideas?
Old May 10th, 2017, 04:34 PM
Seer Deluxe

An update. It just got worse and worse and got to the point of the relay clicking on and off probably 200 times a minute...this was going to be a fire hazard. I immediately removed the switch, and since it's a "dud" at this point (it's out of warranty) I thought I'd take it apart and see what made it tick. I have had 2-3 others fail similar to this and they went back on warranty after fighting tooth and nail with Linear. They didn't want to honour their warranty due to the retailer not carrying their product anymore.

I de-soldered and disconnected the low voltage board from the load switching/PS board and powered the low voltage board with 3.3v with a power supply. I could control the low voltage board output with the push button switches as well as add and remove it from my z-wave network. While as before it was not responsive to anything, either through z-wave or through the push buttons.

I am not 100% sure it's the 3.3v regulator (LT1121cz-3.3) as the operating voltage was nearly the same...so I'm going to take a scope to see if the 15v being supplied to it by U1 is failing or a component with it is failing.

U2
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...-PBF-ND/890240

If I can repair this unit I'm sure that's what caused another unit of mine to fail as well, also outside of warranty...

Check out this gross solder flux mess by Linear though...these devices are indoors and are 1.5 years old.
Attached Images

Old May 10th, 2017, 04:45 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
An update. It just got worse and worse and got to the point of the relay clicking on and off probably 200 times a minute...this was going to be a fire hazard. I immediately removed the switch, and since it's a "dud" at this point (it's out of warranty) I thought I'd take it apart and see what made it tick. I have had 2-3 others fail similar to this and they went back on warranty after fighting tooth and nail with Linear. They didn't want to honour their warranty due to the retailer not carrying their product anymore.

I de-soldered and disconnected the low voltage board from the load switching/PS board and powered the low voltage board with 3.3v with a power supply. I could control the low voltage board output with the push button switches as well as add and remove it from my z-wave network. While as before it was not responsive to anything, either through z-wave or through the push buttons.

I am not 100% sure it's the 3.3v regulator (LT1121cz-3.3) as the operating voltage was nearly the same...so I'm going to take a scope to see if the 15v being supplied to it by U1 is failing or a component with it is failing.

U2
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detai...-PBF-ND/890240

If I can repair this unit I'm sure that's what caused another unit of mine to fail as well, also outside of warranty...

Check out this gross solder flux mess by Linear though...these devices are indoors and are 1.5 years old.
I would strongly suspect it is one of the electrolytics. An ESR meter is the best way to test them. They will sometimes bulge on top. Most power supply problems are leaky capacitors. The mess you see isn't necessarily flux. A lot of manufacturers started using organic (citrus based) in place of volitile solvents to remove the flux and they can leave residue.

"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
I would strongly suspect it is one of the electrolytics. An ESR meter is the best way to test them. They will sometimes bulge on top. Most power supply problems are leaky capacitors. The mess you see isn't necessarily flux. A lot of manufacturers started using organic (citrus based) in place of volitile solvents to remove the flux and they can leave residue.
I appreciate the input! I am mechanical...so I only dabble with electronics, but I am surrounded by electrical engineers all day.

I believe I have a multi-meter that can check the caps, I'm going to scope some of the signals first before I begin removing caps and checking them. I didn't notice any bulging, but I'll definitely take a better second look at it.