X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with basics, please?

Hi,
    I am new to the designer software and, quite honestly, I am scared like hell of messing up a perfectly nicely working iPhone and iPad apps...

I wanted to try my hand a customizing the interface a little to better fit my needs. For example, I would get rid of the "Music" button on the home screen and put "Security" button there instead, tying it to the next screen with cameras.

I have everything installed and the designer seems to connect to HomeTroller just fine. I can see that I am able to start a new, from scratch, project in a designer, but that is too much for me as a first step. Besides, I don't even see enough choices for buttons and such to create a new project to my liking.

Is there a way to load the existing default template that is used by iPhone (or iPad), the one that in the settings is referred to as iPhone2.xml? I would then try to modify it little by little, save under different name, and deploy intermittent changes iPhone to see if what I am changing is working. I could deploy it as "Server 2", for example, and retain the existing working "server 1" configuration for daily use. Just for my own peace of mind.

I know many users here design their own in-depth interfaces. That is way beyond my abilities at this point. At this stage, with this forum being the only guide, I am absolutely clueless as to how this program works, where to find the template used for default interface, so that I can try modifying it, and so on.

I thought if I took the default iPhone interface and tried modifying it in designer, that would be an easy first step.

How do I do that?

As a simple suggestion just bring up the default project and go to save as under file and change the name to something else. That way you have the original and a new one you can play with.

That is what I did and if you mess it up you can always go back to the default and reload it and do another save as.

Hope that hel[ps...Sonny

Comment

Originally posted by buvens View Post
      As a simple suggestion just bring up the default project and go to save as under file and change the name to something else. That way you have the original and a new one you can play with.

That is what I did and if you mess it up you can always go back to the default and reload it and do another save as.

Hope that hel[ps...Sonny
      Where is the default project? Is that the one I see when I login with my iPhone? When I open designer, I am presented with a new project, and when i open the client (that installed along with designer), it briefly has a splash screen, then goes to a blank blue screen that says "Default Screen Configuration". The designer has all the proper login credentials and path, logs in fine into HomeSeer console.

Comment

Mine is under c:\users\myuser\my documents\my HSTouch projects\iphone.xml for the default
        Where myuser is the user name I login with.

This is on windows 7 but XP would be similar under I believe documents and settings directory.

Comment

Mine is under c:\users\myuser\my documents\my HSTouch projects\iphone.xml for the default
          Where myuser is the user name I login with.

This is on windows 7 but XP would be similar under I believe documents and settings directory.
          Darn. Right under my nose

Comment

Great!!!

Enjoy you "Playing"

Comment

Great!!!

Enjoy you "Playing"
              Thanks a lot!

Comment

One more quick question:
                Once I try making changes to the default iPhone2.xml layout, can I deploy it to my iPhone as a second server? What I mean is, I currently connect to my house using configuration setup under one of the three available server settings in iPhone HSTouch app. Can I keep the working unmodified setup under one of those settings (Server 1 on my phone) and deploy the new, experimental configuration under Server 2 or Server 3, all the while connecting to the same HomeSeer console, from the same app, on the same phone? If I simply duplicate my settings from one server configuration to another, then connect from it to HomeSeer, then deploy changed template to it from designer, that should only overwrite one set of settings, right? Or is the layout shared by all servers in the same iPhone app?

Comment

If you name your project differently, it will not overwrite your other project that you have deployed to your device. You will be able to select, on the device, which project that you want to be associated with the server. When you deploy your new project, it will be changed to the new default selection, but it can be changed.
                  - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                  Web Site
                  YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by tpchristian View Post
                    If you name your project differently, it will not overwrite your other project that you have deployed to your device. You will be able to select, on the device, which project that you want to be associated with the server. When you deploy your new project, it will be changed to the new default selection, but it can be changed.
                    Should I mess up, how can I restore my current setup on the iPhone? The one that came with the app?

Comment

I can't seem to locate my iPod at the moment so I'm just looking at my android device, but if you go to settings there should be an option to select the configuration file to use. Double check that before you deploy. You can see what configuration (project) it is currently using. Now, when you deploy a new project it will be added to that list and selected. If you want to go back to the other configuration, you will just go back to settings and select that original configuration. At worse case, you can also redeploy the default project from the designer again.
                      - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                      Web Site
                      YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                      X