Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error when deploying project to iPhone with iOS6 - Fixed!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error when deploying project to iPhone with iOS6 - Fixed!

Today I installed the pre-release of iOS6 on my (and my wifes) iPhone4. The HSTouch client on it is the latest version, so is the HSTouch Designer on my laptop. When I try to deploy my project to those updated iPhones the transfer stops after a few seconds and I retreive an error on my laptop: 'Error sending data, possible loss of connection'. Updating my MS Windows clients still works. Do you guys know a solution for this or do I need to wait for a new release of the HSTouch iPhone client for it to work?

Let me ask Rich if he has tested deploying to iOS6.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm looking into it, I will post back what I find.

Comment

For what it is worth,
        I was able to load IO6 on my iPod touch and 2 iPad2 with no HS issues (all wifi only)
        DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
        BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

A user emailed me and said if you change the HSTouch settings to "Ask" for the config file, then the deploy works. Can others confirm this?

Comment

Yes - setting the connection mode to 'ask' seems to work.

But once you switch away from the app and then back to it, deployment fails again, crashing the app.

Restart the app again, then deployment can be reliably done until you switch to another app or the home screen again.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

Also confirms the "Ask"-method works!

Comment

Found the problem and put in a fix. Update will be in the App Store as soon as Apple approves it. Note that this build is done with the latest IOS SDK so it will only run on Arm 7 devices. The Apple dev tools no longer support Arm 6 devices.

Comment

So this means that the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 1st/2nd will no longer be supported. Any others that I have missed?

This will have a negative impact as i do have at least three of these units. So what is one to do?

Are you adding in code in terms of the protocol exchange between the client and server to appropriately handle the version of HSTouch?
                  HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Correct, there may be others, I'm not sure which devices are Arm 6 devices. I can tell you that all iPads are ok as well as the 4th gen iPod. I tried to see if I could build the app with an older SDK, but the older SDK will not work with IOS 6 devices so I would have no way to test. So move foward we must.

As long as you do not update your older devices, they will still work with the current HSTouch server.

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                    So this means that the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 1st/2nd will no longer be supported. Any others that I have missed?

This will have a negative impact as i do have at least three of these units. So what is one to do?

Are you adding in code in terms of the protocol exchange between the client and server to appropriately handle the version of HSTouch?

Comment

Yes I tried to make the screens bigger in my project but they are getting cutoff when I deployed it to the iP5. I thought it was something within the SDK(for iOS6) that needed to be optimized to accommodate the 4" screen.

Found this:
                      You should have three different sizes: 320x480 (for non-retina iPhone), 640x960 (for retina iPhone) and 640x1136 (for retina 4-inch iPhone). And if your app is universal, you'll have even more startup images for the iPad.

If the 640x1136 image is set properly, your app will run without letter boxing. As for whether it will "automatically adjust everything else accordingly", that all depends how you have the autoresizing, etc. setup for all your views.
                      Last edited by bmora; September 27, 2012, 08:40 AM.

Comment

[Update] I tested the latest client and it allows you to build larger screens. I also changed the designer so you can create a project for the iPhone 5, it sets the height to 568.

It might just be the IOS6 SDK, since I re-built the app with that SDK it appears to allow the screens to be larger. I will double check as I am posting the app the app store today.

Originally posted by bmora View Post
                        Yes I tried to make the screens bigger in my project but they are getting cutoff when I deployed it to the iP5. I thought it was something within the SDK(for iOS6) that needed to be optimized to accommodate the 4" screen.

Comment

HSTouch 2.12 is now in the App Store. This version is required if you want to create larger screens for the Iphone 5.

Comment

I tried this with iphone5, and it seems to have fixed the bug, and I was able to use the larger resolution without a new designer. I just had to update all of my screens.

It's really nice to have that extra screen real estate. I'm finding quite a few uses for it.
                            Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Hey Rich, I was just thinking about the newest updates to the client and this has raised a concern for me. If the newest build of Apple's dev tools means that you can no longer build for older devices, what does this mean for those of us who either have, or plan to have, IOS devices built into their infrastructure?

For example - while I have not yet done so, one of my move forward plans for whole house infrastructure is to buy a number of iPads to use as both wall-mounted displays and portable displays (using Launchports for wallmounts/charging). While iOS may evolve and devices will improve, basic Homeseer functionality should still work just fine with older devices. However, if you stop building support for older devices as Apple starts dropping them, those of us who build the devices into our house infrastructure will basically be hooped.

I know one can just say "Well, don't update your client on those devices", which is fine until you have, say, a device crash, and/or maybe your iTunes server crash and need to download the app again, only to find you can no longer download the older version of the app.

While it might be a bit of a pain for you to maintain the development infrastructure to create app builds for older and newer devices, I would suggest that it behooves you to at least take reasonable steps to do so. It might mean maintaining two versions of the HS Touch application, but for those of us with older devices that makes sense.

Just a thought...

regards,

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X