This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iTunes plugin for HS3

Here is a beta version of an iTunes plugin for HS3. It is based on the same API used for "iTunes Speakers" plugin but unlike "iTunes Speakers" it is capable of controlling iTunes completely, just like the Remote app available for iPad, iPhone, iPod.

Here is what it looks like on the device page:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	devices.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1205762

This is a beta version, so some features are still missing, but they will be added soon. Please report any bug or feature request.

Installation:
    • download and unzip the zip attached to this post.
    • copy HSPI_ITUNES.exe, HSPI_ITUNES.exe.config, ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll, Mono.Zeroconf.dll, Mono.Zeroconf.Providers.Bonjour.dll to your HS3 root directory
    • copy the iTunes directory (containing graphic files) to your html/images directory
    • enable the plugin from the "PLUG-INS > Manage" page
    • go to the "PLUG-INS > iTunes > iTunes Config" page and follow instructions to pair the plugin with your iTunes instance.

little update on this, I'm currently working on making this plugin supporting multiple instances so that it could be a full multi zone, multi source audio solution.

The multi zone part is easy thanks to Airplay/Airtunes; any Airplay Device in your home is a new zone. Given that more and more software/receivers/speakers are Airplay compatible, adding a new zone is very cheap compared to other audio system.

The hard part is the multi-source part. To have a multi-source sytem (i.e. capable of playing different music in different zones) you need to have several instances of iTunes running on your network. The annoying thing is that you can't run more than one iTunes process per machine, so one solution is to run iTunes in virtual machines and create as many as you need.

Hopefully there may be another solution; the plugin I'm building is actually based on DAAP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital...ccess_Protocol) so instead of connecting to iTunes, it can be connected to any "iTunes Server". The idea is to use something like forked-daap as the "iTunes Server" and connect to it as many plugin instances as needed. This is what I'm going to test now. Exciting stuff!

Comment

so far my tests with forked-daapd are quite good. I have installed forked-daapd on an Ubuntu box and put my music files in there, I have started 2 instances of the daap daemon, then in Homeseer I have created 2 instances of the iTunes plugin and have configured them to connect to forked-daapd, and now I can play 2 songs simultaneously and decide to which Airplay zone I want to stream each.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	twoinstances.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1170144

Of cource this is not limited to 2 players you can run as many instances of the plugin as you want.
      I can also access my music files from iTunes, as iTunes can connect to forked-daapd too.

And last but not least, forked-daapd can be installed on Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...387756#p387756) which make it a good solution for a media server.

The plugin needs some additional work but this is a good start.

Comment

the iTunes plugin now has its own forum, so I'm closing this thread.
        http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

Comment

Working...
        X