X10 and CM15 plugin-can I send RF signals only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 and CM15 plugin-can I send RF signals only

I have an AM17RF unit (European module) that's listed as a pure RF X10 module. I created an X10 device and have tried to send on/off commands to it without success. I know it works as I can control it through the Active Home Vista program. I'm using the CM15Pro transceiver via HS3 on Raspbian and Mochad. All the PLC control is working fine it's just the RF that's the problem.

Anyone have any ideas where to go from here.

While both the Windows and Linux versions of the HS3 CM15a plugin support receiving X10 via PLC and RF, they only support transmitting via PLC and do not support transmitting X10 via RF.
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Mark is there a solution to sending RF signals to an RF x10 device using HS3. As I understand it, the CM15 unit is a transceiver that supports both RF and PLC signals. Is it just a case that the plugin doesn't support it. If it could would it be difficult to implement. If not is there an alternative RF transceiver I could use under HS3.

I currently use an RF x10 keyfob remote to operate the x10 module which is configured by "learning" the code into the module. I can scan the raw RF code from the remote if that's of any use.

Comment

Unfortunately adding RF transmit functionality to the plugin is not trivial. I will take a look at this when I get some time, but it will be a while as I am quite busy with my business.

You should have a look at the RFXCOM devices and plugin as I believe they have an X10 RF transceiver (receive and transmit). Here is a link to their website in English: http://www.rfxcom.com/en_GB and a link to the RFXCOM plugin section of the HS forum: https://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=899
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

Comment

I Appreciate that.

I was reading up on the the CM15 module using Mochad which is running on my HS3 build on the Raspberry Pi 3 under Raspbian. In particular the section on RF x10 control. I noted that clearing the CM15's memory of monitored house codes using AHP will somehow turn the CM15 module into a full blown transceiver.

I'm fairly sure you are familiar with this document but I'm attaching it as an example of what I'm trying to achieve. As you say the plugin does not support RF x10 signals anyway but is this what could be achieved with some work.

https://github.com/SensorFlare/mocha.../master/README

Comment

Yes, I am familiar with the mochad doc on SourceForge, thanks for the pointer though as it may be useful for others.

Regarding the clearing of the CM15 memory, "For best results, use AHP (ActiveHome Pro) to clear interface memory and disable the internal RF to PL
            repeater. This ensures the CM15A behaves like a transceiver." I believe the CM15a bridges received RF commands to the powerline by default and clearing this option allows independent RF and PL comms without the bridging.

The issue with adding RF transmission capability to the plugin is that it will entail changes to the UI, logic and underlying data structures already in use for X10 plugin devices, which means that a significant amount of effort will need to be put into making sure that existing installations are not broken when users update the plugin to a version that supports this.

I will look at this when I am able, but as I mentioned before please do not expect anything soon. If you need a solution anytime soon please consider the RFXCOM transceiver.
            Best regards,
            -Mark-

Comment

FYI I can confirm that rfxcom is a solution that works both on Windows and Linux.
              I ditched my CM15A because of incompability with HS3 on Windows several months ago. I use several X15 remotes, (4 Marmitek SS13) and a dozen X10 devices and never had a problem with RFXCOM.

Comment

Here have configured one Homeseer 3 user (Linux) running RFXCom and it is working great for him.

Doing this stuff has convinced me that I should update my old W800 stuff over to RFXCOM.

Currently running X10, UPB, ZWave and Zigbee here. I have updated my weather stuff over to using the Meteostick and looking to update my W800 stuff over to the RFXCom devices. (baby steps here).

Here I am still using the W800 for the little bit of X10 that I am currently running today.

Easy to set up the RFX com stuff.

ls ttyUSB*
                ttyUSB0 ttyUSB1 ttyUSB2 ttyUSB-RFXrec433-A ttyUSB-RFXtrx433-A

[ATTACH]62920[/ATTACH]
                Last edited by Pete; August 23, 2017, 05:17 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I was checking a box of bits and pieces I have and came across an RF unit I purchased a while back. It's called a TIP10RF from Marmitek Haibrain. Connects via Ethernet to the router. I fired it up and downloaded the smartphone app from the manufacturer.

This has solved the problem for operating the x10RF module.i don't see a corresponding plugin from HS3 that mentions support for this unit. Would anyone have a suggestion what plugin might work here. I don't want to cause any conflict with the current x10 CM15 plugin.

I'm also thinking it would be possible for HS3 to make a call to the TIP10RF instructing it to activate the x10RF module via an event/virtual device.

I've attached a link to the manufacturer for this unit and would appreciate your views on these possibilities.

https://www.marmitek.com/media/nieuw...0RF_201308.htm

Comment

Very nice device.

It appears that the device works with mobile iOS and Android making it somewhat proprietary using mobile applications for communications.

Here only utilize VPN to access my Homeseer stuff at home.

Once I saw how well they worked I quit tethering to my phone; but that is me.

I am reading good reviews on it from 2014 and marketing chit chat for it working in North America.

I also see a Hey You Linux emulator on GitHub for the device.

I am not sure how many Homeseer folks are using this device today.

Here in the 1990's started with an MR-26A, then went to the W800 serial device which works fine still today with the old palm pads that I have around.

If you could get the API (if it was ever published for it) you could maybe write an application that would work with the device.

BTW you are the first person ever on this forum that has ever mentioned the TIP10RF device.

I have helped a few folks in the UK with the use of the RFXCom and W800 stuff for use with X10 over the years. (late 1990's to current time).

Here primarily utilize X10 in the last few years for my Christmas Lighting. RF use for a few things like announcements, garage door status (cuz I cannot see it), irrigation zone control while outside checking, et al.

Homeseer today only supports X10 via Mark's volunteering endeavors.

Wireless X10 is primarily supported today primarily by the author of RFXCom.

Historically over the years here on Homeseer I have seen product MFG's that want to sell their wares here on Homeseer write Homeseer plugins for use or individuals using certain products for their personal automation write plugins (sometimes for themselves and not for public use).

Looking here this morning...see:

Under main section:

[ATTACH]62921[/ATTACH]

Under the
                    A10 Plug-in (3P) section see:

Welcome to stefxx's Plugin forum!

This is a list of my Plugins available for download through the Homeseer updater. All plugins are free and fully functional, and compatible with Homeseer HS3 / HS3PRO only. All plug-ins are fully Linux compatible.

Currently available plugins:

A10 (PMIX35/CTX15/CTX35) - *NOTE: this plugin is free.
                    An A10 (X10 compatible) plugin specifically for the Xanura/Marmitek/Haibrain PMIX35/CTX15/CTX35 interfaces. Full support for all Xanura/Marmitek/Haibrain modules (including last known dim status, status request, shutter support etc) and also supports most standard X10 modules.
                    Last edited by Pete; August 23, 2017, 07:30 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete, I suppose you you could call your x10 setup Santa Claus technology. Comes out once a year at Christmas

I've seen so many different technologies come and go over the years but like it or not, x10 technology is still with us for over 30 years. These technologies are launched to a big fanfare and pitched at usually inflated prices. A couple of years later the manufacturer is either taken over or goes bust and the user is left with expensive door stoppers.

I'll have a closer look at this TIP10RF and see what might work with it. Of course it is a 433mhz unit but I have read that they are exploring the possibilities of a 319mhz version of the unit. It's a very neat looking unit. Coloured black and 2 inches squared and one inch high it can be tucked out of sight which is also a big bonus.

Comment

Yeah here personally and primarily utilize power line technology for my lighting.

ALL my automated switches here today utilize UPB.

Over the years (since 1978) to current time it's been:

X10, Insteon and UPB.

X10 powerline stuff went from using the CM11A and TW-523 to using Jeff Volp's X10 stuff.

X10 wireless started with the MR26A (1990's) to the W800 in the 2000's.

I connected my irrigation system here to the W800 and used palm pads to do manual visual checks in the beginning and end of the irrigation season. There is absolutely no reason to change this methodology today or tomorrow.

Relating to the Christmas lighting did actually try Insteon, UPB, Z-Wave and Zigbee.

For low voltage outdoor lighting here switched to LED and utilizing multiple DIN mounted power supplies and all switched by UPB (or X10 or ZWave or Zigbee).

Original set up was 4 1000Watt toroidal AC transformers.

Very slowly here migrating interior lighting to LED.

It was a PITA relating to the time involved to configure. Much easier to set all of the X10 devices to one house code and use the palm pad to turn on every Christmas light at the same time.

The house here though is an automation sand box and concurrently there is day to day automation that just works and I do not pay attention to it anymore.

I do make it all play together just fine today.

The X10 stuff is on 24/7 365 days a year and it never causes me any problems. (it is using both old and new stuff).

X10 wireless went to using an antenna in the attic which covers the entire home and up to and past the edges of my property (over 10 years now).

RFXCom does it better now with multiple types of wireless devices (not just X10) and it does well.

BTW sort of old fashioned here and prefer my electric in metal conduit and boxes. Building a new home a while ago specified the use of conduit and metal boxes. On another home let the general contractor use romex / plastic boxes. The electric was done well. I did modify it a bit post construction and it was a bit of a PITA.
                        Last edited by Pete; August 23, 2017, 03:15 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                        X